June 2014 MCATers United!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RocketSurgeon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks!

I am creating this thread for all SDNers taking the MCAT in June (5th/13th/21st). Similar to past "MCATers United" threads, this thread is to discuss everything and anything pertinent to the June MCAT. (Barring certain topics outlined in the stickies by the mods - MCAT Questions etc.)

The next Gold Zone begins Feb 11th for May, June, July and Aug MCAT test dates. That means you should be able to signup for a test date for June starting Feb 11th.

Feel free to post you exam strategies, resources, tips/tricks. Also, to get things started provide a brief introduction - your background and your planned schedule! :) I am sure we have plenty of people here with very different backgrounds and we should help each other by constructively critiquing each other approach to this dreaded test!

About Me:

MCAT Date: 06/05 (First Attempt)
Undergrad Major: Neuroscience
Grad Program: Biomedical Engineering

Currently working full time as an engineer in research.

Strong Areas: Physics, General Chemistry, Physiology, Verbal
Weak Areas: Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry

I would be happy to help out with any physics\quantitative problems!

Plan:
I looked at SN2ed's program (4 month variation) and I really like it! It has all the key components I was looking for 1) Depth of content 2) A LOT of timed practice 3) Good testimonials. I am going to be following the program word for word.

Useful Links:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/breaking-down-the-mcat-a-3-month-mcat-study-schedule.623898/
SN2ed's Plan

http://mcatschedule.webs.com/mcatschedular122days.htm
Convert SN2rd's plan to a CSV based on your test date. Easily imported into Google spreadsheet or Excel Spreadsheet by -kseungjin

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-i-went-from-a-26-to-a-43.943292/
An interesting approach to the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The only EK 1001 I've touched is the VR and I definitely am not doing as well as I anticipated. TBR VR made me feel so confident because I thwamped those passages!
Are you guys reading any alternative material to help get used to some of the language? I am really comfortable reading journal articles and I read loads of fiction on a regular basis. I've heard reading magazines like the Economist could be helpful. Any experience out there?

@Bowser20 Besides studying I'm helping to set up my nieces and nephew's Easter Egg hunt! I'm trying to think of devious ideas to make it harder :happy: Muhaha

Today I have work and volunteering at the clinic so I'll probably just get finished my TBR Physics II Review.

Good luck on the FLs!

Members don't see this ad :)
@christinalouise I have been reading the economist/new yorker/nejm and similar material for year now and I did not start out so well on the VR because you never read the economist under timed conditions also to be honest a lot of VR passages are obscure and the only material I have read that comes close to it were reading philosophy (Kant/Marx/Bichat).

@Bowser20 Yeah my gf is coming over this weekend so im super excited to see her! Since the mcat studying started we haven't had much time to hangout. I am thinking of joining the volunteer EMT team close to my place. Also, looking forward to my bme clinical rotations this summer :)

According to the EK schedule I'm supposed to do AAMC 8 this Sunday, however I'm not sure if I want to burn an AAMC test when I'm only halfway through content review.
I agree. I'm saving AAMC for last. I found some Kaplan FLTs. Going through other threads it seems like a lot of people regret taking AAMC FLT too soon.

04/17

Bio 5 (Memorizing the hormones : FLATPIG lol)
Chem 3: Reread (Yeah im repeating stuff a bunch of times to make things stick)
Verbal 101: Test 3 Passages 1,2,3,4

Took AAMC3 yesterday: PS9/VR6/BS7=22

Today:
Review AAMC3 PS, BS
Re and quiz TPR O2, O3, B2

Tomorrow:
Redo AAMC3 VR and review
Re and quiz TPR O4, O5, B3, B5, C5, C6, P4

Sat:
Take AAMC5

Friday! Always more optimistic with all the time there is to get stuff done on the weeked.

Review Ochem and gchem ch4 questions

Read EK bio 4 and do first 1/3 questions in TBR.

1 verbal passage TPRH

Work from 8-2....

Members don't see this ad :)
Took 2 break days! Alright back to MCAT! :)

Just made the schedule for this week.

04/20

EK Chem 3 - Reread
EK Physics 4 - Reread
EK Biology 5 - Reread
+ Look unfamiliar concepts on Khan Academy/Youtube

Nice!! That's a solid FL! Keep up the good work. Tonight I'm hoping to do the 2nd 1/3 of all ch. 4 questions. Building up to my first FL this weekend no matter what!

Took AAMC 8 today!

10/12/9. I'm happy, considering I'm in week 4 of the EK schedule.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! My jaw dropped when I saw my score; I was honestly expecting a 28 like my previous two FLTs.

Kind of brain dead after yesterday's FLT and today's microbio exam, so taking it light.

04/21
2 VR passages from TPR
Audio Osmosis for EK Bio 4, Physics 4

Hope the weeks going well so far fellas!

Scanning the March 22nd MCAT results I'm both excited and scared thinking how nice it will be to get a score back. I dont know if I've every been as happy as I would be to crush this test. But theres also the other side... :unsure:

Just got off work today. Its been pretty busy! Yeah I def want to be done with this MCAT but I also only want to take it when I am fully prepared - I do not want to take this more than once. The mcat is really the only factor in my control at this point!

04/22

Read:
EK Physics 6
EK Chem 3
EK Bio 5
EK Bio 6

I just looked at the March 22nd results this morning. Gosh I'm so nervous now. I really wish I had more information on exactly how the exam is curved. AAMC skirts the question or vaguely answers. Soooo I'm back to being concerned that I'll be writing alongside people who have written one already and it'll mess with my score. EEeeeugh.

This week I've been finishing up my review. Only OChem II remains for me now, so I should be done Thursday! I don't know whether I should write one of my Kaplan FLs this weekend, or focus next week on distilling my first set of books down again.

So what score are ya'll aiming for?

To be competitive here I think I'm going to need between 33-36. It seems like a lot to ask for, but I think I'd feel OK applying with a 33.

I have to retake because of verbal. Stupid verbal.. sigh..
Anyways, is there an official thread for June 13th?

Reactions: 1 users
Not that I've seen. It seems like the whole month of June fits into one thread... :laugh:

Physics ch. 5 tonight
first 1/3
verbal 2 passages

I have to retake because of verbal. Stupid verbal.. sigh..
Anyways, is there an official thread for June 13th?

TPR Bio 6 between today and tomorrow with the corresponding EK audio osmosis
Review acids and bases in gen chem

FL on Saturday morning/review in the afternoon

Well its nice to see there are more of us!

Still working through OChem II review today (short day)
By Sunday I'll have the second 1/3 of questions in each second done.
Working towards first Kaplan FL Sat. May 3

50 days left for me! :confused:

Well I'm pumped that everyone's taking a full length this weekend and that this stage of studying is beginning. It'll be fun to compare and help each other with these practice tests!

Hey, everyone. I just rescheduled for June 13th (no 5th location nearby) b/c I think I'd feel better taking this exam with more time... too bogged down with finals coming up, so best of luck to us all!
--I saw a mention of Chad's videos; they are amazing! it took me all of one Sat to go through every Orgo video, so I'll probably go through his orgo videos again before then.

Well I'm pumped that everyone's taking a full length this weekend and that this stage of studying is beginning. It'll be fun to compare and help each other with these practice tests!

Which FLs do you have or are looking to get? Right now I have the Kaplan book with 2 (and 2 online) then I'll likely get all of the AAMCs.

Also, the EK bio. Does it have a section on evolution and ecology? It's the one section on the AAMCs list that isn't in TBR. I really didn't want to have to buy another Bio book because TBR books have been easy enough for me, but if the content is different I'd consider.

Hey all,
I'm actually taking the June 5th exam and am too lazy to make a thread lol. I've got about 5 weeks left and I'm scoring 5-6 range in EK Verbal. I'm using the EK strategy and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. In my post-analysis, I find that I get questions wrong mainly because I misinterpret the main idea or the author's intent. Any advice on how I can bring it up or if I can bring it up before test day? Thanks!

I'll be purchasing all of the AAMC tests and I have access to all of the Kaplan online Full-lengths so I'm debating if I want to start with Kaplan 1 or AAMC 3...

Which FLs do you have or are looking to get? Right now I have the Kaplan book with 2 (and 2 online) then I'll likely get all of the AAMCs.

Also, the EK bio. Does it have a section on evolution and ecology? It's the one section on the AAMCs list that isn't in TBR. I really didn't want to have to buy another Bio book because TBR books have been easy enough for me, but if the content is different I'd consider.

04/25

Good to see more people around! I'm scheduled for June 5th but might have to move back my date...I really want to hit a 38+. Will be taking a FLT this Sunday.

4 Verbal Passages
EK Bio 6
EK Physics 6

@RocketSurgeon How far are you thinking of pushing it back?

I was considering doing Kaplan FL tomorrow but unsure whether I should push it back to next weekend.

04/26
Review TBR Ochem Ch7/8
Review TBR Physics Book I again
2 VR tests EK3,4

@RocketSurgeon How far are you thinking of pushing it back?

I was considering doing Kaplan FL tomorrow but unsure whether I should push it back to next weekend.

04/26
Review TBR Ochem Ch7/8
Review TBR Physics Book I again
2 VR tests EK3,4

Hi! Idk I'm still deciding I will how I am doing a week before the test. I am two weeks away from content review.

well everyone... How'd the FL's go?

Kaplan FLT - 36
Bio 12
Phy 13
Verbal 11

Hi! Idk I'm still deciding I will how I am doing a week before the test. I am two weeks away from content review.

Kaplan FLT - 36
Bio 12
Phy 13
Verbal 11

Wow great job!! All those studying hours are really paying off!

I'm writing a Kaplan FLT this weekend. I still have some issues with Physics based on the timed passages I have done from TBR. Hopefully my score isn't too shabby. How did yours go @Bowser20?

Ughh.. A little disappointed but not completely demoralized.. I got a 24, but I still have like 4 chapters each subject left on the content review and this was a great experience to see what the test was gonna be like..
-Ran out of time on verbal so I had to guess on like 5/6 questions which hurt. I know why I took so long too so it should be an easy fix.. Also, after review.. I'm blown away I rushed through some questions and got some of the ones wrong I did. All seemed easily fixable so I'm confident I can do MUCH better on the next..

Wow great job!! All those studying hours are really paying off!

I'm writing a Kaplan FLT this weekend. I still have some issues with Physics based on the timed passages I have done from TBR. Hopefully my score isn't too shabby. How did yours go @Bowser20?

Ughh.. A little disappointed but not completely demoralized.. I got a 24, but I still have like 4 chapters each subject left on the content review and this was a great experience to see what the test was gonna be like..
-Ran out of time on verbal so I had to guess on like 5/6 questions which hurt. I know why I took so long too so it should be an easy fix.. Also, after review.. I'm blown away I rushed through some questions and got some of the ones wrong I did. All seemed easily fixable so I'm confident I can do MUCH better on the next..

That's awesome considering you aren't finished content review! Did you decide to write the AAMC FL or Kaplan?

I burnt AAMC 3, so I could get a solid idea of what the actual formation and question phrase is like, since it's been irking me for a while now. Over the next few weeks I will finish content review and take the Kaplan tests, then the final 3 weeks before the test I'll finish the rest of the AAMC tests. It feels good to get one done and get a "feel" for the exam...

I am ready to do well on this test and put it behind me!!! :boom:
That's awesome considering you aren't finished content review! Did you decide to write the AAMC FL or Kaplan?

I burnt AAMC 3, so I could get a solid idea of what the actual formation and question phrase is like, since it's been irking me for a while now. Over the next few weeks I will finish content review and take the Kaplan tests, then the final 3 weeks before the test I'll finish the rest of the AAMC tests. It feels good to get one done and get a "feel" for the exam...

I am ready to do well on this test and put it behind me!!! :boom:

I totally agree!

I took AAMC 3 too (7/10/9). Not where I want to be but I was actually really happy with my progress, still have a ton of physics to cover, which was my main downfall (in addition to missing 5 free standing questions because I just didn't realize there was anything after passage VII haha) and a good amount of biology. I definitely feel like I learned a lot about how the test functions, and haven't practiced any verbal since march O_O so I was surprised I hit a 10.

So my new gameplan is to incorporate a good 3-5 tpr verbal passages into my routine everyday, finish up content review by mid may, and probably start hitting full lengths hard until June.

I'm trying to limit the amt of time I'm here on sdn - the reason i've stopped posting everyday. Honesty, I think the way to do well on the mcat is to think and internalize concepts on the fly. Thats what helped me get to 35+ on practice. It took me forever to get through content but I spend hours/sometimes days nailing concepts down. Don't just memorize anything - there is a very elegant concept behind every equation.

I finished reviewing TBR books and checking off which concepts they cover on the AAMC's MCAT topic lists. There are quite a few things I found in TBR that aren't mentioned on that list. Are these topics therefore not going to be tested on what-so-ever? (I can't remember off the top of my head but there are a couple reactions in the OChem section that aren't mentioned). Should that AAMC list be the end-all-be-all?

From what I understand, that AAMC list of things is the ultimate authority, so I would think ignoring TBR information not related to that list is fine. I'm reviewing with TBR now so I'm curious to what I get to leave out of my review!!! So let me know if you think of it..
With my luck I'll have read it already..

Just finished O-Chem ch. 5 last night, and that was a doozy. Like halfway through I was like oh I got all of these carbonyl compounds and reactions down pat... then the chapter just keppptt gooinnnggg and towards the end I was mixing things up.. Ugh... Got over 70% correct on the first 1/3rd of questions but still... headache.. :bang:

I finished reviewing TBR books and checking off which concepts they cover on the AAMC's MCAT topic lists. There are quite a few things I found in TBR that aren't mentioned on that list. Are these topics therefore not going to be tested on what-so-ever? (I can't remember off the top of my head but there are a couple reactions in the OChem section that aren't mentioned). Should that AAMC list be the end-all-be-all?

I actually wish I would have printed the AAMC list to follow as I studied because there are reactions I stressed over and didn't need to. I think the bulk of the differences I found were in the OChem sections, which is good. There wasn't any of OChem Chapter 8 in the AAMC outline, but I can see that stuff coming up regardless (good thing it is easy). But TBR Bio also doesn't cover any natural selection/ecology which is a bummer.

The second OChem book took all of my energy, but just keep powering through and you'll see the end of it!