Junior seeking advice for the Future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jhb30

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I am making this new thread because my credentials aren't as shiny as some of the other people with similar titles. I approached college freshman year rather immaturely and put myself into a GPA pit finishing my freshman year with a 2.7 GPA. I am still in the process of turning things around and I'd like some advice on what I can do for the next year and after graduation to gain acceptance into medical school. My biggest problem is I am no genius I am just driven and work hard. Therefore after turning the corner my GPAs have only been average a 3.75, 3.3, 3.25 respectively for each semester following my freshman year. I would like to believe I have turned a corner but my freshman year still holds me back. Here are my credentials:

I am a Junior at the University of Pittsburgh studying Psychology and taking Pre-Med Requirements.

sGPA- 3.0
cGPA- 3.25

Clinical experience- 200 hours volunteering in ER and ASU

Volunteering general- Volunteering this summer 8 hours a week tutoring under privileged kids.

Research- Preparing a research paper for submission in May 2013 as first author, working on review article as first author to submit in September 2013. The research is on Sleep.

Work Experience- 5 years lifeguarding, working around 20 hours per week

Leadership- President of The Finer Things Club: a student organization that celebrates art, literature and music with over 70 members.

I have three full semesters and two summer semesters left until I graduate. I am currently taking Organic Chemistry 2, Physics 1. The classes I have left for pre-med requirements are Physics 2, Orgo lab 2, and Bio lab 2. I also plan to take Biochem and Neuroscience.

What can I do in the upcoming years to 1) ace the MCAT to make up for my GPA, 2)make a shining applicant in all other areas? Also, any advice on when to take the MCAT in my case. Take a year off after graduation and Study or try to study during my senior year and take them over the summer? Thanks so much for anyone who replies I know there are a lot of questions here! Medical school is my goal and I plan to do whatever it takes and work however long it takes to make myself a worthy applicant.

As you mentioned, your GPA is the main thing holding you back. The thing is, even after your 2.7 freshman year, your grades don't appear to be particularly stellar. The highwater mark of 3.75 is a lot closer to the average most schools look for, rather than the best of your abilities.

I would not MCAT yet, as a matter of fact if I were you, I would finish another year or two of classes and see where my GPA is at. From there either do a post-bacc for grade replacements and possible DO, or if you do spectacularly and get that average nearer to 3.5, spend a gap year doing research/working in a clinical setting. That way, you distance yourself from a subpar set of semesters and really show your dedication to the health professions.

Good luck to you.