junior summer delimma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

huknows00

huknows00
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am currently junior who have long been interested in the md/phd path. I need some help as to decide whether to pursue research at my home institution, something I have done for over four years (started in HS) or go to another school or the NIH summer program.

Both my advisor and professors think that staying at my home school (Penn) is the most rational choice because there is no need to go anywhere else with our abudant resources and Faculty in the Neurosciences (my intended area of research). Also it may be advantageous for me to start my senior thesis in the summer and have one more thing to talk about during interviews next fall.

However, frankly I have been here too long and am very enthusiastic about going elsewhere for a summer to expand my horizons. I understand that starting fresh somewhere new, and the short 10 weeks that most summer programs span is not enough to do substantial research let alone getting published. Does the expanded perspective of going extramural overweigh the advantage of productive research at home?

I have one 3rd author paper, one first author publication in the university journal, and am current working on a first author paper. Do you think it's better to try to add to this list or to go to another insitution and try something new?

Members don't see this ad.

My advice would be to get out and try something new. You're research is as solid as can be and it sounds like you would only be staying at Penn in order to strengthen your future application. In terms of MD/PhD programs, having some experience at another institution will certainly improve your chances of getting into a top program. More importantly, getting out of your hometown to make new friends and have new experiences will be good for you. Staying at Penn would probably help your application a little, but you could be missing out on a lot of fun if you pass up an opportunity to go somewhere else for a summer, all expenses paid of course. You really can't go wrong with a summer program such as the one at the NIH (which is just one of many).

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will be a very stong candidate if you choose to apply for MD/PhD programs.

good luck!

huknows00 said:
Hey guys, I am currently junior who have long been interested in the md/phd path. I need some help as to decide whether to pursue research at my home institution, something I have done for over four years (started in HS) or go to another school or the NIH summer program.

Both my advisor and professors think that staying at my home school (Penn) is the most rational choice because there is no need to go anywhere else with our abudant resources and Faculty in the Neurosciences (my intended area of research). Also it may be advantageous for me to start my senior thesis in the summer and have one more thing to talk about during interviews next fall.

However, frankly I have been here too long and am very enthusiastic about going elsewhere for a summer to expand my horizons. I understand that starting fresh somewhere new, and the short 10 weeks that most summer programs span is not enough to do substantial research let alone getting published. Does the expanded perspective of going extramural overweigh the advantage of productive research at home?

I have one 3rd author paper, one first author publication in the university journal, and am current working on a first author paper. Do you think it's better to try to add to this list or to go to another insitution and try something new?

I agree with Tedrik, try somewhere else. You could be seriously limiting yourself by not doing that. By being in Philly for so long, you might be less appealing to some programs. From my personal experience, I felt that many schools had a hard time believing that I would ever want to live in _______, Midwest, because I had only lived on the East and West coasts. That's not to say you should spend your summer in the Midwest, but maybe you should consider summer programs at schools, and in areas, that have MD/PhD programs that you are interested in. This coming summer may make you more appealing to some programs, since they feel that they are more likely to capture you if admitted. On the other hand, if you want to stay closer to home, the NIH program is probably a good bet. Just a thought, good luck.

I'm weighing in with Mitro and Tedrik on this -- it sounds like you already have a very solid background in your research at Penn, and going somewhere else might be good not only for your application but for *you.* 10 weeks isn't a long time, but I went to NC State for only 6 weeks this summer for a biostats program. I'm really glad I did. I might have been able to get some more work done on my project in Madison, but the experience I had at NC State was great. I was exposed to a different environment, new people (peers and faculty), and new ideas. I'm not sure if this relates at all to your situation, but I've been kind of sheltered and was somewhat apprehensive about the prospect of leaving Wisconsin. My experience in NC convinced me that leaving WI might be ok, and maybe even better than staying. Well, best of luck making your decision!