Juris Prudence exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loansforlife

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken the juris prudence exam for Washington state? I believe this might be a similar exam for several other states (exception California of course), which is open book and focuses on the state laws relating to practice of psychology. You need a 90% to pass.

I can't find any information on study strategies, or the exam. I believe it is multiple choice and I printed the handbook off the website.

Anyone familiar with this? Any advice on studying for it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's open book, right? Bring the handbook to the exam.

Well, it is open book but my colleague told me you have to use their book. I am just trying to ascertain whether I should be familiarizing, memorizing, or studying to recall the material. I am sure there is a time limit, so that doesn't always allow for every answer to be double checked through the book.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it is open book but my colleague told me you have to use their book. I am just trying to ascertain whether I should be familiarizing, memorizing, or studying to recall the material. I am sure there is a time limit, so that doesn't always allow for every answer to be double checked through the book.
SQ3R is an effective study tool that would probably lend itself well to this type of exam.

I took it last year. There were 25 MC questions. 90% of 25 is 22.5, so it was unclear to me whether I could miss three or only two and still pass. They provided a binder with a printed copy of all the relevant laws.

My personal experience is that there was no need to study for this exam, and a couple of colleagues who also took it last year agree. I spent maybe an hour looking through the handbook beforehand just to familiarize myself with what was in there, but even that was probably unnecessary. The exam instructions were (not in these exact words, but pretty clearly), your task in this exam is to read each question, find the relevant law in the handbook, and answer accordingly (i.e., they do not expect you to have learned the information ahead of time). There is AMPLE time allotted -- I believe it was three hours, so more than 7 minutes per question. Many of the questions were worded in exactly the same language as the law. They also told us that if we felt a question was unclear, we could write our reasoning on the exam itself next to the question and those written answers would be "taken into account" during scoring. (I am not making that up, though I have no idea whether/how it actually came into play...) Out of the 25 questions, there were maybe 5 that I felt significantly uncertain about. I passed, no idea by what margin.

I suppose the exception to my statement that exam prep is unnecessary would be if you know yourself to be a slow reader or someone who has difficulty scanning through text to find the relevant info. I did have a bit of a headache after the exam from doing so much visual scanning through those couple hundred pages of Courier New font text to find the answers.

I took it last year. There were 25 MC questions. 90% of 25 is 22.5, so it was unclear to me whether I could miss three or only two and still pass. They provided a binder with a printed copy of all the relevant laws.

My personal experience is that there was no need to study for this exam, and a couple of colleagues who also took it last year agree. I spent maybe an hour looking through the handbook beforehand just to familiarize myself with what was in there, but even that was probably unnecessary. The exam instructions were (not in these exact words, but pretty clearly), your task in this exam is to read each question, find the relevant law in the handbook, and answer accordingly (i.e., they do not expect you to have learned the information ahead of time). There is AMPLE time allotted -- I believe it was three hours, so more than 7 minutes per question. Many of the questions were worded in exactly the same language as the law. They also told us that if we felt a question was unclear, we could write our reasoning on the exam itself next to the question and those written answers would be "taken into account" during scoring. (I am not making that up, though I have no idea whether/how it actually came into play...) Out of the 25 questions, there were maybe 5 that I felt significantly uncertain about. I passed, no idea by what margin.

I suppose the exception to my statement that exam prep is unnecessary would be if you know yourself to be a slow reader or someone who has difficulty scanning through text to find the relevant info. I did have a bit of a headache after the exam from doing so much visual scanning through those couple hundred pages of Courier New font text to find the answers.

Thank you for sharing your experience, this was very helpful.

It's direct questions that ask you to find verbatim answers from an open book in a multiple choice format.

The only prep you need to is stop over thinking anything about this test.

So I took and passed the test but just thought I would lend a little interesting FYI.

A week ago Washington State made the jurisprudence exam available online, whereas previously you had to travel to Tumwater, WA to take the test at the Department of Health. They now have the online version and no longer administer the test at the facility. It is open book, open notes and you can save and come back to it. It was 25 questions multiple choice.

They notify you in 7-10 days if you failed so that you can re-take it. I was notified within 3 business days that I passed.

The disparity between licensing requirements state to state is huge. I wonder if other states will follow and create online versions. FYI for anyone interested in the easiest states to be licensed, Washington may now be #1. No post-doc requirement, you can count practicum hours towards the 3000 and an online, open book, jurisprudence exam.

So I took and passed the test but just thought I would lend a little interesting FYI.

A week ago Washington State made the jurisprudence exam available online, whereas previously you had to travel to Tumwater, WA to take the test at the Department of Health. They now have the online version and no longer administer the test at the facility. It is open book, open notes and you can save and come back to it. It was 25 questions multiple choice.

The disparity between licensing requirements state to state is huge. I wonder if other states will follow and create online versions. FYI for anyone interested in the easiest states to be licensed, Washington may now be #1. No post-doc requirement, you can count practicum hours towards the 3000 and an online, open book, jurisprudence exam.

At this point, why even have the jurisprudence exam? What gatekeeper function does this now serve?

They notify you in 7-10 days if you failed so that you can re-take it. I was notified within 3 business days that I passed.

I just got done taking the EPPP for a license in Virginia.
Same thing...except no jurisprudence test. On one hand, I'm kinda appalled there's no test, OTOH, they're so easy anyways, right?

It's not a gatekeeper function. It's a CYA maneuver.

Used all the time in both board complaints and lawsuits.

Fair enough, I can see that. To some extent at least.

I'm not so certain that the EPPP even functions as a gatekeeper tbh.

Oh, if you look at program's pass rates on the EPPP, I'd say it does it's job at some level. Plus, besides the I/O section, the content is closely related with what you should know as a psychologist. It's a measure of foundational knowledge, and they admit as much.

Read my mind. It's not a "do you know it" test. It's a "Do you know how to find the answer" test. It makes sense to me.

At this point, why even have the jurisprudence exam? What gatekeeper function does this now serve?

Well I am sure the folks over in the CPLEE/CPSE thread would argue that California still has a significant test that functions as a gatekeeper with a 50-60% pass rate.

Something to look forward to as I attempt dual state licensure..../sarcasm.