Just a Bit of a Jam I'm In: Switching Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeLinerMascara

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To whom this may concern,

Ever since I was a child I wanted to be a police officer, an engineer, or doctor. I was accepted into a n engineering magnet in highscool. I excelled, but after 9th grade.. the classes became less about engineering and more about computer sciences. It was fine, though it isn't what I wanted to do, learning to code/set up a newtroks/hardware. The other magnet available was a medical one. At that point in my life I solely wanted to appease my father by engrossing myself in physics, mathematics, etc. When I graduated, I got my first job; once which I held for four years. During that time I matriculated. The company I worked for would remunerate any scholastic expenses I incurred during the time it would take me to get my B.A. The only hiccup is that I neither wanted to major in business (tech, administration), accounting, engineering, or marketing. So I focused on work. After I quit my job, I had quite a bit saved up. This was around the time I started going clubbing and partying. I had a very high resolve concerning drugs/alcohol (even smoking cigarettes). One day we were recording our LP and I drank a bottle of green apple Smirnoff . The alcohol content was approximately 7%-or-so. During that time I would sign up for classes, spend enough time in them to pass the add/drop period, then, subsequently, receiving quite a few W's, including one WF which translated to an F at the second school. When I transferred to another college I "towed the line." I was there for nursing. Close to the end of the pre-req's for nursing, I switch to biochemistry. Since I had already taken all of the humanities, psychology, and speech courses (concerning the the biochem curriculum) I was required to take. The only courses I had left were science and math (the courses I didn't have to take until I changed my major) courses. It left Alg II (whatever they call it), Phys I/II, Bio II, Gen Chem I/II, Orgo I/II, and Calc I/II. The way it pans out, I have Orgo II, Chem II, and Calc II to go.

My brother came down with MRSA It wouldn't have been an issue, except he's already immuno-compromised. One-thing-turned-to-another as one complication lead to another. Attending the school I was, then, at Was too far away from where my parents, who I helped with both of my brothers, lived. I completely dropped and, as such, I received an F for both Chem II and Calc I. It was a family emergency.

My question is, as I have taken 4 months off and the fall semester is going to begin soon, should I switch to a school that is closer to my parents or stay with the establishment I am with now? Either way I'm going to have to provide aid to my parents. I read, somewhere (probably here during the years of lurking), that schools prefer to see most, if not all, courses taken at the same institute. The only reason I can think of would be, say, if someone goes to one school and signs up for a class with a teacher they dislike... They could easily drop that course, and go to another school where the teacher may be more lenient.

What should I do? I don't want to drive 2.5 hours just to get to school. The college I would attend is approx 24 minutes away from their house.

P.S.- I procrastinate quite a bit. In fact, it took me over two weeks to actually write this and another three days to post it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I realize that this was poorly constructed at some points. I have faith in others abilities to piece together the parts where I made errors.

You may want to try this again. How many W's do you have? For completed prereqs, what are your grades? What's your total GPA? Do you have institutional actions from your academic struggles? How long until you graduate? Have you been "checking the boxes" of getting clinical experience and volunteering, shadowing?

I can assure you that having attended multiple colleges is going to be the least of your (substantial) issues in applying to medical schools

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand what this has to do with green apple Smirnoff. You mean schnapps? Anyway, yes, this was poorly constructed.

Answer efles questions...and how many credits do you actually have in your new major (is it biochem)?

Edit: and how did that LP turn out? I'm on pins and needles....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
To whom this may concern,

Ever since I was a child I wanted to be a police officer, an engineer, or doctor. I was accepted into a n engineering magnet in highscool. I excelled, but after 9th grade.. the classes became less about engineering and more about computer sciences. It was fine, though it isn't what I wanted to do, learning to code/set up a newtroks/hardware. The other magnet available was a medical one. At that point in my life I solely wanted to appease my father by engrossing myself in physics, mathematics, etc. When I graduated, I got my first job; once which I held for four years. During that time I matriculated. The company I worked for would remunerate any scholastic expenses I incurred during the time it would take me to get my B.A. The only hiccup is that I neither wanted to major in business (tech, administration), accounting, engineering, or marketing. So I focused on work. After I quit my job, I had quite a bit saved up. This was around the time I started going clubbing and partying. I had a very high resolve concerning drugs/alcohol (even smoking cigarettes). One day we were recording our LP and I drank a bottle of green apple Smirnoff . The alcohol content was approximately 7%-or-so. During that time I would sign up for classes, spend enough time in them to pass the add/drop period, then, subsequently, receiving quite a few W's, including one WF which translated to an F at the second school. When I transferred to another college I "towed the line." I was there for nursing. Close to the end of the pre-req's for nursing, I switch to biochemistry. Since I had already taken all of the humanities, psychology, and speech courses (concerning the the biochem curriculum) I was required to take. The only courses I had left were science and math (the courses I didn't have to take until I changed my major) courses. It left Alg II (whatever they call it), Phys I/II, Bio II, Gen Chem I/II, Orgo I/II, and Calc I/II. The way it pans out, I have Orgo II, Chem II, and Calc II to go.

My brother came down with MRSA It wouldn't have been an issue, except he's already immuno-compromised. One-thing-turned-to-another as one complication lead to another. Attending the school I was, then, at Was too far away from where my parents, who I helped with both of my brothers, lived. I completely dropped and, as such, I received an F for both Chem II and Calc I. It was a family emergency.

My question is, as I have taken 4 months off and the fall semester is going to begin soon, should I switch to a school that is closer to my parents or stay with the establishment I am with now? Either way I'm going to have to provide aid to my parents. I read, somewhere (probably here during the years of lurking), that schools prefer to see most, if not all, courses taken at the same institute. The only reason I can think of would be, say, if someone goes to one school and signs up for a class with a teacher they dislike... They could easily drop that course, and go to another school where the teacher may be more lenient.

What should I do? I don't want to drive 2.5 hours just to get to school. The college I would attend is approx 24 minutes away from their house.

P.S.- I procrastinate quite a bit. In fact, it took me over two weeks to actually write this and another three days to post it.

I think you may have just written your personal statement.

Reactions: 1 user
I realize that this was poorly constructed at some points. I have faith in others abilities to piece together the parts where I made errors.

I couldn't figure out much of your story, but I can say that you are really, really going to need to work on your written communication skills before you start to think about applying to medical school.

Reactions: 3 users
Personal statement? Really? I'd think after the first few lines an Adcom would just put it aside, that was so confusing ..,

Yah, that was kinda just a string of non sequiturs.

Graduated high school, worked. Started college, switched majors. Having some troubles in part due to family issues, want to move closer to home to different school. Is that ok?

Is that the gist of things?

I'd say it doesn't look to bad to do so. If it's that important to transfer, you will know better than any of us.

Did you get an engineering job after attending a magnet high school? Seems kind of farfetched but ok.

Members don't see this ad :)

OP, your laziness makes me hope that you will never be my doctor. Ever.

"Yeah. I may have left a sponge in you. We should've done an X-Ray, but you know how it is. I have faith in your abilities to piece together the parts where I made errors."

"Yeah. I may have left a sponge in you. We should've done an X-Ray, but you know how it is. I have faith in your abilities to piece together the parts where I made errors."

"Here's some green apple malt liquor to make it up to you."

Graduated high school, worked. Started college, switched majors. Having some troubles in part due to family issues, want to move closer to home to different school. Is that ok?

I'd say it doesn't look to bad to do so. If it's that important to transfer, you will know better than any of us.

You may want to try this again. How many W's do you have? For completed prereqs, what are your grades? What's your total GPA? Do you have institutional actions from your academic struggles? How long until you graduate? Have you been "checking the boxes" of getting clinical experience and volunteering, shadowing?

I can assure you that having attended multiple colleges is going to be the least of your (substantial) issues in applying to medical schools

Trying this again would only provide the same information; just in a more tidy and succinct manner.

I volunteer quite often (I have logged 430 hours-or-so). I haven't shadowed a physician yet. There an biotech internship available. It was brought to my attention by my Micro professor. I am also supposed to two semesters worth of research which will hopefully lead to being published.

I don't understand what this has to do with green apple Smirnoff. You mean schnapps? Anyway, yes, this was poorly constructed.

Answer efles questions...and how many credits do you actually have in your new major (is it biochem)?

Edit: and how did that LP turn out? I'm on pins and needles....

Somehow I sense sarcasm.

Barring the poor construction of the message- I'm presuming most of you understood what I was trying to say.

The green apple Smirnoff was the beginning of a life of booze, drugs, partying, being in a band, clubbing, leaving non-prescription contact lenses in for a month+. I know that ADCOMS like to see applicants who stand out. Somehow I'm sensing that, post high school, getting a full time job and completing only two courses while at the first college doesn't bode well.

I think you may have just written your personal statement.

Lol. I highly doubt that, that would be any where near an expected personal letter.

OP, your laziness makes me hope that you will never be my doctor. Ever.

I've always been lazy. I'm use to receiving mostly A's and some B's, but never anything less than that. I typiclally attend the classes before the test (for the review) and learn the material on my own. I'm not an auditory learner (despite matching how that sort of learner learns). When it comes to things I actually care about I tend to become acuminous. I was the same way since the second grade. People would think that I wasn't paying attention, because I was usually off showboating my zany antics, even though i retained what they said (once again a sign of being an auditory learner; though I refuse to categorise myself under that learning type).

When I engage in anything that is severely detail oriented I am very maticulous. In chem 1 and phys 2 I was usually the last one to finish the lab assigment. I ws alos the one who continuously scored the highest.

Also sorry for the outburst. Secondary stress has put me on a short trigger.

Do tell.

Also sorry for the outburst. Secondary stress has put me on a short trigger.

mhvtro.jpg
(P.S.- I dropped out of the microbio class I was in because it wouldn't be accepted at the university I aspire to attend. Grade forgiveness was awarded as I took macro at the college I am currently a member of.
At the moment it's at a 3.1 due to the F's and administrative withdraw. After that is rectified I'll be back at a 3.8. My sGPA is around a 3.3 (again I have time to increase that with calc, virology, zoology, etc).

I am still going for my A.A. so I'd assume approximately another 2-or-years until I am finished with my undergrad.

It is an important move.

What I'm getting at is that I was fairly lazy until this semester. Physics I and II were a breeze. Organic I was a breeze. The only course, until I complete my A.A., that has proved troublesome is Gen Chem II.

The two F's are from having to drop both of the classes I was taking to help out my parents during my brothers hospital stay. The F in Macro was supposed to be a WF, but, like I stated before, when it transferred it became an F which, unlike the institution I plan on returning to where a WF/WP/or admin withdrawal didn't count against ones gpa.

I've always been interested in biology, physics, chemistry, and, more recently, medicine. I know I have courses I can take to finish my BA which will boost my gpa.

Move closer to home and go to the new school OP. Youll save money living at home and you should consider it an honor to serve your family in a psuedo-medical role (more like custodial). The only downside is youre dating life will take hit living at home. You still have the failed classes on your transcript and that is worse than switching schools.

@EyeLinerMascara im sorry for the sarcasm.... I got none of the information you listed from the green apple Smirnoff comment, especially the contact lenses. It is best to be specific.

When I engage in anything that is severely detail oriented I am very maticulous. In chem 1 and phys 2 I was usually the last one to finish the lab assigment. I ws alos the one who continuously scored the highest.

Yes you seem very maticulous