Just a Few Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShowtimeKaner88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Current third year DO student and just looking to get some info/help/insight into some things about EM for the future. For reference here are my stats:

Step 1: 240+
COMLEX: 650+
Top 30% of class
Only one clinical grade so far and not even sure how honors/not honors works
No significant research experience
Extracurriculars - I continue to work as an athletic trainer providing event coverage for various sporting events

I'm wondering a few things:
1) With my step 1, is it necessary to take Step 2 CK? If I can afford to save the 600 dollars, I would be a much happier human being.

2) As a DO student, should I aim to get an SLOE from every EM rotation? or will 2 suffice?

3) How many auditions should I be looking to arrange for EM? Also what is a good pre-EM rotation to do in preparation to hit EM running?

As a side note:
I'm going to be an OMM fellow at my school, due to my ongoing interest in sports medicine, and it is too late to really back out of that commitment at this point despite my newfound love for EM. So my 4th year rotations will be broken up into three blocks of 4 months a piece. My current block schedule has my audition rotations taking place Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan of 2018-2019. So I will be aiming to do some electives in EM Feb/March/Apr/May of 2018 to get at least 2 SLOE's and then I'll be on OMM fellow block from June to Sept 2018.

Any info/advice is much appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Current third year DO student and just looking to get some info/help/insight into some things about EM for the future. For reference here are my stats:

Top 30% of class
Extracurriculars - I continue to work as an athletic trainer providing event coverage for various sporting events

1) With my step 1, is it necessary to take Step 2 CK? If I can afford to save the 600 dollars, I would be a much happier human being.

2) As a DO student, should I aim to get an SLOE from every EM rotation? or will 2 suffice?

3) How many auditions should I be looking to arrange for EM? Also what is a good pre-EM rotation to do in preparation to hit EM running?

As a side note:
I'm going to be an OMM fellow at my school, due to my ongoing interest in sports medicine, and it is too late to really back out of that commitment at this point despite my newfound love for EM. So my 4th year rotations will be broken up into three blocks of 4 months a piece. My current block schedule has my audition rotations taking place Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan of 2018-2019. So I will be aiming to do some electives in EM Feb/March/Apr/May of 2018 to get at least 2 SLOE's and then I'll be on OMM fellow block from June to Sept 2018.

Why can't you just say you changed your mind about being an omm fellow

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hey all,

Top 30% of class

As a side note:

1) take Step 2
2) always get a SLOE - if you have more than you think you need, you do not have to use it
3) the best ED prep is an ED rotation; try to rotate at places you want to match at (reach and middle of the road) or in regions you might be interested in

Looking at your schedule, you can just get SLOEs during your auditions, although an early one might be nice. Just make sure if you try to rotate at a place to get a SLOE off cycle that they are willing to write a proper SLOE since the whole point is to be compared to other senior med students. Double check with the clerkship director or PD before you waste 4 weeks.

Reactions: 1 user