Just Another Lost Person

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imjustagoodguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.
Just need everyones help it would be greatly appreciated.
Just graduated from UC Davis. Got a 3.21 sGPA 3.3 overall.
One of my biggest problems was community college I took general bio and chemistry
my first semester and got a C in them which lowered my GPA.
I showed upward trend at Davis (first year 3.1 overall, 2nd year 3.6).
Received a 31 on my MCAT.
I have volunteered at hospitals, Make A Wish Foundation, Red Cross and some random clinics around my city as well.
I have letters of recs from DO/MDs as well.

Now my biggest dilemnia is what do I do from here? I was considering a SMP program to help raise my GPA to help with an MD school. I know DO would be an option, but I'm leaning toward the SMP program just to have that extra degree (although costly). I left Davis with only 3k in debt since I worked prior at community college to save up and pay for my way through college so I think I can manage being in debt. Currently working at Genentech as a manufacturing tech. One of my biggest downsides however is no research experience although I will start doing research at Genentech over summer (got accepted for a new position on HPV research).

Really would like any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

Imagining you got a 4.0 on your SMP, how much would that raise your GPA? I did the rough math and it looks like a 1-year still only boosts your sGPA to 3.35 and cGPA to 3.45. So a little better, but is it worth the extra time/money (and that's assuming you get straight A's). Maybe if your SMP was linked through a school it would be more worthwhile.

You're a lock for any DO program, and you already have two to choose from in your state.

Why spend the extra $20-50K and an extra 1-2 years just for the MD after the name? As of right now, you are not competetive for MD programs, esp. CA ones.

Hey everyone.
Just need everyones help it would be greatly appreciated.
Just graduated from UC Davis. Got a 3.21 sGPA 3.3 overall.
One of my biggest problems was community college I took general bio and chemistry
my first semester and got a C in them which lowered my GPA.
I showed upward trend at Davis (first year 3.1 overall, 2nd year 3.6).
Received a 31 on my MCAT.
I have volunteered at hospitals, Make A Wish Foundation, Red Cross and some random clinics around my city as well.
I have letters of recs from DO/MDs as well.

Now my biggest dilemnia is what do I do from here? I was considering a SMP program to help raise my GPA to help with an MD school. I know DO would be an option, but I'm leaning toward the SMP program just to have that extra degree (although costly). I left Davis with only 3k in debt since I worked prior at community college to save up and pay for my way through college so I think I can manage being in debt. Currently working at Genentech as a manufacturing tech. One of my biggest downsides however is no research experience although I will start doing research at Genentech over summer (got accepted for a new position on HPV research).

Really would like any insight!