Just applied...getting too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tbucky

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know most deadlines aren't until February, but by just sending in my AACOMAS now, is it beginning to get a little late in the cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes.. no...
You sent it in already, why worry about being late? Just do your best.

There are always last minute interviews. You never know. One of my classmates interviewed in July (some 6 months after the school announced they would not be interviewing any more candidates).

I remember I interviewed at Touro (Mare Island) in May.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I know most deadlines aren't until February, but by just sending in my AACOMAS now, is it beginning to get a little late in the cycle?

I ate lunch with an MS1 two days ago who didn't send in any of her applications until Jan-March and had no problems securing interviews. It's only October right now -- if your stats are decent I think you should be fine?? Sorry that probably didn't help much but just try to stay positive during these difficult months, it's hard, I know.

I ate lunch with an MS1 two days ago who didn't send in any of her applications until Jan-March and had no problems securing interviews. It's only October right now -- if your stats are decent I think you should be fine?? Sorry that probably didn't help much but just try to stay positive during these difficult months, it's hard, I know.

Helps a bit, thanks. If it's any help, my stats are 3.51 cGPa/3.53 BCPM and 30O nontrad with publications, volunteering, shadowing, etc.

I sent in my applications about this time last year. I retook the MCAT in January and my scores weren't released until the end of February. Technically, the schools did not look at my application until March. I received interviews for March and April. I am now a first year at KCUMB and doing very well. Don't worry you will be fine!

D.O. schools typically have later interviews compared to M.D. schools. Not sure why. It's just what I've noticed. I wouldn't worry at all.

Because all osteo applicants apply to allo programs as well.

A good percentage of the osteo applicants are those that were initially waiting for allo interviews before sending in their osteo secondaries. Still, DO programs begin their interview season the same time MD programs do.

Because all osteo applicants apply to allo programs as well.

A good percentage of the osteo applicants are those that were initially waiting for allo interviews before sending in their osteo secondaries. Still, DO programs begin their interview season the same time MD programs do.

Uhhh... that's not true at all. I purposefully chose to apply to only osteos & I am sure there are many others who did this as well. I could have applied to allos if I wanted & my father is even an M.D. It's not just a "back-up"... it's a philosophy and way of practicing medicine.

Uhhh... that's not true at all. I purposefully chose to apply to only osteos & I am sure there are many others who did this as well. I could have applied to allos if I wanted & my father is even an M.D. It's not just a "back-up"... it's a philosophy and way of practicing medicine.

I believe Terp was just generalizing. No need to defend the degree at the drop of a hat. He probably just meant that osteopathic schools have later interviews because they'd rather not "compete" with allopathic schools. I'm not saying that allopathic schools are more competitive, but I am saying that if you have osteopathic interviews that don't conflict with the 100+ allopathic schools, you have a higher percentage of students that attend the interview dates.

I could see the same reasoning for why allopathic interviews are very early in the season. I remember that my first interview was beginning of August.

I would bet that a very big majority of people apply to both.

I would bet that a very big majority of people apply to both.

Yes. Attending my state MD schools will save me (on average) about 100k total vs. attending any DO program. And that is my honest answer when asked the - "Are you also applying to MD schools" question.

Yes. Attending my state MD schools will save me (on average) about 100k total vs. attending any DO program. And that is my honest answer when asked the - "Are you also applying to MD schools" question.

Thank you for your honest answers. Unfortunately, many people do not think in that way. Due to ignorance, many people believe students only do D.O. school when they can't get into M.D. school. Yes, M.D. is more competitive, there's nothing to argue about there. And, of course, many do apply to both-- I just didn't like the generalization.

No, it's not too late. You may be at a slight disadvantage, but it just comes down to your application. I applied around this time and didn't get my letters of rec until late November.

I didn't get all my secondary apps in until January and had no problem. With your grades, I wouldn't worry too much.