Just applied...too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldengate

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have finally submitted my application to 46 programs on Monday evening. Since I know most people applied in Sept. and have gotten interviews by now, I wonder if mid-October is too late to still get interviews. Have programs booked their schedule already?

I am also planning to apply to FM as a backup (sshh, don't tell anyone) and wanted to get some input on the following choices -
1) Apply to FM programs now.
2) Wait a week or two to see how positive a response I get from Psych, and then decide accordingly.
3) I do not need a backup. Psych is a safe bet.

I am a US-IMG w/ all clinicals done in the US, Step 1 182/75, Step 2 CK 221/90 (4th attempt), ECFMG-certified.

Members don't see this ad.

First off why would you wait until this late with your obvious deficits? or was it impossible due to circumstance?

And second-honestly I do not mean to put you down-but how on God's earth did it take you 4 timse to pass step 2? I mean seriously do you really think you should be allowed to practice medicine. YOu scraped by step 1 and took every available possible attempt to pass step 2. I mean after you failed 2 times-didnt you seriously consider how to change your method to pass-just incredible-you are the type that give IMGs a bad name because you will land some residency somewhere-be incompetent, and then thepeople that work with you will ask you where you went-you say IMG and boom-there goes the reputation of the IMGs continuing to be poor.shame on you

and ya sorry-you probably aint matching in psych bro-but i think you know that.

If I were you, I would apply to as many additional psych programs that might consider you before going the FM route. Although my situation is different, many programs are waiting on my Step 2 CK score before deciding on an interview. So, I think that you still have a decent chance if you don't limit yourself by geography. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Come to think of it-do schools even know how manytimes you took step 2 or does your latest, best score just show up? In that case you will have a great shot somehwere-but otherwise I do notknow how you guys cna say this dude has a good chance-I mean this board should have some sense of reality

I realize analyzethis is a great candidate--on paper. He's clearly a superstar once he gets in front of the computer at his local sylvan center. But in reality the poor patient will suffer from this guy. i think the best thing analyzethis can do is to head off to surgery. You will be successful and full of it and will get applauded for your superior abilities. You can talk down to nurses, staff and in this case possible collegues and fit in like a champ. In psych, I'm sure your real talents will go to waste-- the patients will get worse and dejected with you at the helm. Why waste the time-- find a field that suits your lack of tolerance for other people. This is my 'toughlove' to you--in reality your nonjudmental approach needs to last longer than on interview day and why act? i'm sure analyzethis can "squeeze" in some interviews in other fields with his rockstar credentials--he may be happier at the end. Wish goldengate and analyzethis the best in finding a field that actually suits you. And to goldengate keep working, find a way to succeed--remember getting into a residency is tough but doable. the challenge in this career is gonna be to deal with guys like analyzethis.

i believe the OP's original question was ...

Since I know most people applied in Sept. and have gotten interviews by now, I wonder if mid-October is too late to still get interviews. Have programs booked their schedule already?

... to which the correct response would be, no, it is not too late to get interviews. programs do the majority of their interviews in november and december, with some extending into january. it is NOT too late to get interviews.

however, with your stats, i recommend you apply broad and wide. apply to a lot of programs in different areas. also, follow up on programs. if you haven't heard by december, make phone calls. put yourself out there. if i were you, i would apply to some FP programs now. it can't hurt, and it will give you some options to work with later if you need them. also, dont forget the scramble ... it sounds scary, but i know a lot of people who have been quite successful in the scramble. i also know people who became very disillusioned (sp?) on interviews, and decided NOT to rank, and to only scramble. you will end up somewhere, no worries.

i believe the OP's original question was ...

... to which the correct response would be, no, it is not too late to get interviews. programs do the majority of their interviews in november and december, with some extending into january. it is NOT too late to get interviews.

however, with your stats, i recommend you apply broad and wide. apply to a lot of programs in different areas. also, follow up on programs. if you haven't heard by december, make phone calls. put yourself out there. if i were you, i would apply to some FP programs now. it can't hurt, and it will give you some options to work with later if you need them. also, dont forget the scramble ... it sounds scary, but i know a lot of people who have been quite successful in the scramble. i also know people who became very disillusioned (sp?) on interviews, and decided NOT to rank, and to only scramble. you will end up somewhere, no worries.

Most of the programs I am dealing with do interviews in January and February. From what my deans have said, December and January are peak interview times for fields not in the Early Match.

Not that I know anything, but from hanging around on this board for a while, I've kind of gotten the sense that if you really want to increase your chances of matching this year, you apply very, very broadly, and hit the so-called "lower-tiered" programs hard. I would also think about applying to FM while you're at it, and do it soon, or else you might be sitting empty-handed come this summer. Good luck.
I have finally submitted my application to 46 programs on Monday evening. Since I know most people applied in Sept. and have gotten interviews by now, I wonder if mid-October is too late to still get interviews. Have programs booked their schedule already?

I am also planning to apply to FM as a backup (sshh, don't tell anyone) and wanted to get some input on the following choices -
1) Apply to FM programs now.
2) Wait a week or two to see how positive a response I get from Psych, and then decide accordingly.
3) I do not need a backup. Psych is a safe bet.

I am a US-IMG w/ all clinicals done in the US, Step 1 182/75, Step 2 CK 221/90 (4th attempt), ECFMG-certified.

I realize analyzethis is a great candidate--on paper. He's clearly a superstar once he gets in front of the computer at his local sylvan center. But in reality the poor patient will suffer from this guy. i think the best thing analyzethis can do is to head off to surgery. You will be successful and full of it and will get applauded for your superior abilities. You can talk down to nurses, staff and in this case possible collegues and fit in like a champ. In psych, I'm sure your real talents will go to waste-- the patients will get worse and dejected with you at the helm. Why waste the time-- find a field that suits your lack of tolerance for other people. This is my 'toughlove' to you--in reality your nonjudmental approach needs to last longer than on interview day and why act? i'm sure analyzethis can "squeeze" in some interviews in other fields with his rockstar credentials--he may be happier at the end. Wish goldengate and analyzethis the best in finding a field that actually suits you. And to goldengate keep working, find a way to succeed--remember getting into a residency is tough but doable. the challenge in this career is gonna be to deal with guys like analyzethis.

Thank you for this response. I was thinking the exact same thing. Being that analyze this is such a pathological liar, he shouldn't be so judgemental and rude to the OP. For all we know he took his steps a few times, because he seems to come up with different scores each time he posts on here. :rolleyes:
Good luck OP, and listen to everyone (except for "Mr. High and Mighty") on here about applying wide because it aint too late, till the fat lady sings. And even then, there's the scramble.

apply to as many additional psych programs that might consider you before going the FM route. So, I think that you still have a decent chance if you don't limit yourself by geography. Good luck.
apply very, very broadly, and hit the so-called "lower-tiered" programs hard. I would also think about applying to FM while you're at it, and do it soon, or else you might be sitting empty-handed come this summer. Good luck.

I want to thank all of you for your honest advice and support...
I have now applied to a total of 50 programs covering 27 states and DC. So no, I am not limiting myself geographically, although I could apply to even more places. One of you mentioned "lower-tiered" programs, but these are not typically publicized. Can any of you name some that might belong to that category?

programs do the majority of their interviews in november and december, with some extending into january. it is NOT too late to get interviews.

I know that most programs don't start interviewing until November, but that is not to say they have not been inviting people since week 1, and can only interview so many, and by now, who knows if they still have space left.

It's been just over a wk now and no invites yet...4 rejects already. Staying hopeful though!

I want to thank all of you for your honest advice and support...
I have now applied to a total of 50 programs covering 27 states and DC. So no, I am not limiting myself geographically, although I could apply to even more places. One of you mentioned "lower-tiered" programs, but these are not typically publicized. Can any of you name some that might belong to that category?

I know that most programs don't start interviewing until November, but that is not to say they have not been inviting people since week 1, and can only interview so many, and by now, who knows if they still have space left.

It's been just over a wk now and no invites yet...4 rejects already. Staying hopeful though!
Please keep us posted when you start getting interviews. I would love to hear about your success!

All the best,
OBfan

Oh My Gosh!!! Just realized that Analyzethis just got banned. Thanks moderators. Please don't ban me for laughing at him. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
He was a character. :laugh: :laugh:

Oh My Gosh!!! Just realized that Analyzethis just got banned. Thanks moderators. Please don't ban me for laughing at him. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
He was a character. :laugh: :laugh:

How did you find out he was banned and why was he banned? For lying??

How did you find out he was banned and why was he banned? For lying??

I don't know why he was banned, but if you look at his user name, it's in black with "banned" right underneath it. Anyway, he's already on the allopathic side with a different username, talking about "why would anyone not wanna talk to depressed hot chicks all day and get paid for it?" Because obviously that's what Psych docs do and that's one of his main reasons of going into psych.

Surely he needs a psych consult himself. :laugh: :laugh: