Just apply DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Krita

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a reapplicant. I applied late in the game last year, 2014, and decided not to apply this year to get a better mcat score in the hopes of getting into MD school. However, now I'm wondering if I have no chance either way for MD, and I should just apply this cycle for DO? cGPA: 3.55, sGPS: 3.47, MCAT 29. I definitely know I can do better with the next MCAT and am even prepared to sign up for a course. However, I have a C in one of my classes, biochemistry lab, in my last semester, where I had a larger class load than usual to finish on time. I'm an Illinois resident, so taking in my GPA and original MCAT score, will I not be able to get into any MD school? I know it's late in the cycle to apply to MD now, but I could get my stuff together for DO and apply. I started working as a clinical study coordinator and I like the work, but I just suddenly don't like how much time I will be wasting to get in (i will be starting in 2017 if I apply and get in next year), when I know I can get into DO with the stats I have now. In which case, is it too late to apply this year for DO?

Members don't see this ad.

The application season is still early-it only began June 1st. If you apply broadly to at least 15 DO schools this month and submit all your secondaries by July you should receive several interviews with your stats.
For MD apply to your 2 Illinois state schools and these private schools:
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Commonwealth (PA)
GW
St. Louis
Creighton
California Northstate (in Sacramento )
In regards to California Northstate they only received preliminary accreditation last week. They are actually accepting applications now for admission to the class beginning in September 2015. So if your apply there this week you could potentially start medical school in September this year. This is a new development and it is likely they will receive very few applicants in the next 2 months for their inaugural class so it will not be a large or competitive applicant pool since very few applicants (or re-applicants not accepted this year ) are aware of this.

Agree with learned colleague, but I'm still very leery of CNUSOM

The application season is still early-it only began June 1st. If you apply broadly to at least 15 DO schools this month and submit all your secondaries by July you should receive several interviews with your stats.
For MD apply to your 2 Illinois state schools and these private schools:
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Commonwealth (PA)
GW
St. Louis
Creighton
California Northstate (in Sacramento )
In regards to California Northstate they only received preliminary accreditation last week. They are actually accepting applications now for admission to the class beginning in September 2015. So if your apply there this week you could potentially start medical school in September this year. This is a new development and it is likely they will receive very few applicants in the next 2 months for their inaugural class so it will not be a large or competitive applicant pool since very few applicants (or re-applicants not accepted this year ) are aware of this.