This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Except when your ignorance affects the well being of others.

Anesthesiologist was probably worried about sterile precautions and making sure you were allowed to be in there.

Then again, I made a circulator nurse yell at the anesthesiology resident once because he kept playing with his mask and took it off his nose a few times during a case...

You'd think the doctor would understand he knew protocol as a sterile tech...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Except when your ignorance affects the well being of others.

Anesthesiologist was probably worried about sterile precautions and making sure you were allowed to be in there.

Then again, I made a circulator nurse yell at the anesthesiology resident once because he kept playing with his mask and took it off his nose a few times during a case...

Anesthesia is probably the least sterile part of the operating room, fyi. Would be almost ironic.

it's funny how you're complaining about someone else being rude by being rude to an entire profession which happens to be the one that this website is devoted to

I'd hardly call that rude...but some people take offense more quickly than others?

Great excerpt on this topic from "House of God" by Samuel Shem, a not so fictional account of intern at Mass General Hospital. An M3 would be even lower than an intern

"While the straight shot down from the top of the medical hierarchy got the intern, the intern was at the
bottom of the other hierarchies only indirectly. In many tricky ways he had the opportunity to be abused
at any time by Private Doctors, House Administration, Nursing, Patients, Social Service, Telephone and
Beeper Operators, and Housekeeping. The latter made the beds and regulated the heat, cold, toilets, linen,
and general repairs. The interns were completely at their mercy.

The House medical hierarchy was a pyramid—a lot at the bottom and one at the top. Given the mentality
required to climb it, it was more like an ice cream cone—you had to lick your way up. From constant
application of tongue to next uppermost ass, those few toward the top were all tongue. A mapping of
each sensory cortex would show a homunculus with a mammoth tongue overlapping an enormous
portion of brain. The nice thing about the ice-cream cone was that from the bottom, you got a clear view
of the slurping going on. There they were, the Slurpers, greedy optimistic kids in an ice-cream parlor in
July, tonguing and tonguing and tonguing away. It was quite a sight."

That's kind of gone the way of the dinosaurs now. An CRNA gave me a hard time at the start of my internship. Tried that again later on and didn't go well for her. People forget that they reap what they sow.

Anesthesia is probably the least sterile part of the operating room, fyi. Would be almost ironic.

I just knew the attending surgeon would kick him out of the OR and make sure be never came back. I tried to save him from himself.

Members don't see this ad :)
The post is geared towards understanding that a title shouldn't determine your character and how you treat people. Nor does a title give u permission to be rude at any given point. I stated that you should be willing to help others who are looking for opportunities to advance their education. Be the example that someone can look up to.

Well I've been working there for a year and I know almost every doctor in the hospital. Each of them know that I will be attending medical school and so they all wanted be to watch a few procedures. The surgeon said that I will be watching the entire procedure and that he wanTed me to get a feel for how things work in the OR. He asked the anesthesiologist to explain what he was doing and thats when he became rude.

Just saying, I'm not a doctor yet, but I did shadow a General Surgeon over a summer and in my case it was really laid back on both the CRNA and surgeon side. However, if a doctor was telling me to explain my job to someone and I was in a bad mood I might not come across as pleasant. If the surgeon was like expecting people to accommodate you I think that might be a little pushy. He could have basically explained what the anesthesiologist was doing if he didn't want to tell you. I wouldn't completely write the guy off as an @$$hole.

So today at work I finally got a chance to watch a thoracic surgical procedure. I was excited about it because I am really cool with the surgical doctor. However the anesthesiologist was very rude. Because I work in sterile processing, which is looked down on in the surgery department, he felt it was necessary to try and belittle me. Luckily the surgical doctor took up for me and told him to just let me watch and not worry about what department I'm from. I wasn't even there to watch him. After back and forth bickering, he finally put the patient to sleep. So unprofessional, but i guess some things cant be learned in school, you either have it or you dont. RESPECT. Personally, I feel people in the Healthcare field should encourage each other. It's already hard enough to pursue A career in medicine anyway. Although becoming a doctor is something im pursuing, I really hope I don't become like him. I will never forget what it was like and how someone gave me an opportunity. What it all boils down to is that no matter the title we are all human beings and there is a certain level of respect and integrity we should have for one another. I shouldn't have to showcase my B.S in biology to earn respect.....I wanted to say "Keep being rude, because I might take your job one day, but I didnt!" Lol....instead I'll let it shape my character....My love for medicine and the well being of others outweighs any ignorance.
Keep in mind that the other half of professionalism in medicine, as well as general civility, is to possess the grace to look over the unkindness of others directed towards you. You rarely get to know the whole story. His focus and concern may have been entirely on the patient and has a personality that requires concentration on the task at hand that can't tolerate answering questions on the side. Maybe he recently had an incident with a previous patient where he messed up and he was nervous not to make another mistake. Maybe his wife left him. Maybe his dog died. Or maybe he really IS just an a-hole. Whatever the case, while his actions were not right, we have to have the grace to give others the benefit of the doubt and look over their unkindness to us (unkindness towards others is a different story).

Sadly, there is very little we can usually do to change genuinely mean people, but if we can diagnose a cause for their behavior (e.g. fear, personal problems), we may be able to do something to help. For one time encounters such as the above, you have the right attitude of just noting the experience as a lesson of how not to be.

As you mentioned, we are all human beings and some days we have our bad days. We unfortunately sometimes take it out on others around us. As humans beings, though, we also need to recognize this possibility and not necessarily take it personally.

I hope you still had a great experience watching the surgery!

Reactions: 3 users
Keep in mind that the other half of professionalism in medicine, as well as general civility, is to possess the grace to look over the unkindness of others directed towards you. You rarely get to know the whole story. His focus and concern may have been entirely on the patient and has a personality that requires concentration on the task at hand that can't tolerate answering questions on the side. Maybe he recently had an incident with a previous patient where he messed up and he was nervous not to make another mistake. Maybe his wife left him. Maybe his dog died. Or maybe he really IS just an a-hole. Whatever the case, while his actions were not right, we have to have the grace to give others the benefit of the doubt and look over their unkindness to us (unkindness towards others is a different story).

Sadly, there is very little we can usually do to change genuinely mean people, but if we can diagnose a cause for their behavior (e.g. fear, personal problems), we may be able to do something to help. For one time encounters such as the above, you have the right attitude of just noting the experience as a lesson of how not to be.

As you mentioned, we are all human beings and some days we have our bad days. We unfortunately sometimes take it out on others around us. As humans beings, though, we also need to recognize this possibility and not necessarily take it personally.

I hope you still had a great experience watching the surgery!
Thank you so much. I became so discoursged and wanted to run out of the room, but I just stood there and calmed myself down mentally. You're right he could have been having a bad. But when expressed to others they said that's how how he is everyday. So it's obviously a bigger problem then me. I'm pretty sure this won't be my last encounter. I'll let it shape rather then break me..but thank you for understanding

So today at work I finally got a chance to watch a thoracic surgical procedure. I was excited about it because I am really cool with the surgical doctor. However the anesthesiologist was very rude. Because I work in sterile processing, which is looked down on in the surgery department, he felt it was necessary to try and belittle me. Luckily the surgical doctor took up for me and told him to just let me watch and not worry about what department I'm from. I wasn't even there to watch him. After back and forth bickering, he finally put the patient to sleep. So unprofessional, but i guess some things cant be learned in school, you either have it or you dont. RESPECT. Personally, I feel people in the Healthcare field should encourage each other. It's already hard enough to pursue A career in medicine anyway. Although becoming a doctor is something im pursuing, I really hope I don't become like him. I will never forget what it was like and how someone gave me an opportunity. What it all boils down to is that no matter the title we are all human beings and there is a certain level of respect and integrity we should have for one another. I shouldn't have to showcase my B.S in biology to earn respect.....I wanted to say "Keep being rude, because I might take your job one day, but I didnt!" Lol....instead I'll let it shape my character....My love for medicine and the well being of others outweighs any ignorance.
I know your type. Maybe the anesthesiology was curt with you- but the much bigger problem is your ego. "showcase your B.S. in Biology"? "wanted to say '...I might take your job one day...'"? And then you sum it up as "because you're a doctor doesn't mean anything"

At least at the time being- you are not in charge and the first priority of the procedure is not you. Rather you are dead last in both counts. I feel very sorry for the people who actually 'liked' your account of the events.

Reactions: 5 users
I know your type. Maybe the anesthesiology was curt with you- but the much bigger problem is your ego. "showcase your B.S. in Biology"? "wanted to say '...I might take your job one day...'"? And then you sum it up as "because you're a doctor doesn't mean anything"

At least at the time being- you are not in charge and the first priority of the procedure is not you. Rather you are dead last in both counts. I feel very sorry for the people who actually 'liked' your account of the events.

Yeah, no joke. The idea that having a BS in biology should lead to respect is a complete joke. If someone were to play that card they would have even less respect from me.

Reactions: 2 users
Trying to look at it from the OP's point of view: OP works in a department that might require a GED for entry level employment. Department gets as much respect as housekeeping and dietary. OP has a college degree and is preparing to apply to medical school. Shows up with an invitation to shadow in the OR. OP gets **** on by an attending radiologist who treats her like he treats a low level non-professional (which tells me more about the anesthesiologist that it does about the OP). OP thinks mean thoughts and posts here suggesting that a doctor doesn't deserve respect or isn't important/more important than anyone else which is natural but not very mature.

The physician in question may be an elitist snob who likes to denigrate the low level employees who keep things moving but who aren't known for their academic prowess and he isn't afraid to show it and even insult one to her face in an open conversation with another physician. The OP seems to be immature and not quite ready to see the jerks of the world for what they are and behave so as not to enforce their prejudices.

Reactions: 9 users
I can just hear my 12 year old exclaiming "two wrongs don't make a right!"

Trying to look at it from the OP's point of view: OP works in a department that might require a GED for entry level employment. Department gets as much respect as housekeeping and dietary. OP has a college degree and is preparing to apply to medical school. Shows up with an invitation to shadow in the OR. OP gets **** on by an attending radiologist who treats her like he treats a low level non-professional (which tells me more about the anesthesiologist that it does about the OP). OP thinks mean thoughts and posts here suggesting that a doctor doesn't deserve respect or isn't important/more important than anyone else which is natural but not very mature.

The physician in question may be an elitist snob who likes to denigrate the low level employees who keep things moving but who aren't known for their academic prowess and he isn't afraid to show it and even insult one to her face in an open conversation with another physician. The OP seems to be immature and not quite ready to see the jerks of the world for what they are and behave so as not to enforce their prejudices.

Reactions: 3 users
This has nothing to do with him being a doctor and everything to do with him being a jerk (assuming you're not misinterpreting anything and there wasn't anything going on with him that may have influenced his mood). Just yesterday a relief CRNA made an extremely rude remark to the circulating nurse when we were already 12 hours into a surgery and everyone was exhausted. Of course then the circulating nurse and scrub tech and tech student proceeded to talk about the CRNA behind his back right next to the surgeons who were trying to focus on a difficult part of the procedure. Needless to say the mood in the room got a lot worse, which is of course worse for the patient. But jerks are everywhere. Just be nice to people, regardless of your degree.

Reactions: 4 users
This has nothing to do with him being a doctor and everything to do with him being a jerk (assuming you're not misinterpreting anything and there wasn't anything going on with him that may have influenced his mood). Just yesterday a relief CRNA made an extremely rude remark to the circulating nurse when we were already 12 hours into a surgery and everyone was exhausted. Of course then the circulating nurse and scrub tech and tech student proceeded to talk about the CRNA behind his back right next to the surgeons who were trying to focus on a difficult part of the procedure. Needless to say the mood in the room got a lot worse, which is of course worse for the patient. But jerks are everywhere. Just be nice to people, regardless of your degree.

God yes. I hate this kind of environment. OP, you have to try to rise above and redirect to what should be in focus. If you are the shadowing person, you have to keep your mouth shut, your mind open, and be thankful you are even given the opportunity to be in there. I mean maybe the surgeon didn't give anesthesia a heads up about you being there, and anesthesia is annoyed over it. Anesthesia can feel under-respected, and knowing that there are a number of players on the team interacting, it's good to give others a heads up, if for no other reason, for the sake of the patient. There are all sorts of games/dynamics. You can't control how other people act. You try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but when they fall short of that, you don't let it get to you; b/c you have no control over the other person--only you. Seriously, in general, there are many times when you have to bite your lip and let things go in healthcare. Later you go for a run or do whatever to fully let any hidden negative energy go. That's freedom. But there will always be people that can seem to be or who actually are negative or just having a bad day. And really, the tone, regardless of the rationale for it, was wrong for the sake of the patient.

Think of it like road rage. Are you really going to get all pizzed off and give the aggressive driver the finger, when, for all you know, he may be carrying, legally or otherwise? Are you really gonna let that person screw with your head and your life? That's what I would call a lose situation.

Reactions: 2 users
Funny when I was in the OR all the surgeons were giving **** to the anesthesiologist

This is a pretty pretentious post for a pre-med who can't even write with proper grammar and punctuation. Your attitude in general doesn't sound any better than the person you were complaining about.
I'd probably be annoyed at you too.

He accuses us, we accuse him. How very hypocritical.
anonymous

Anyway, the OP was not being pretentious. Except LizzyM and a couple of other people, many of you missed the entire point of the post. The point is: He/she felt the doctor was being severely insulting. Therefore, the OP felt the need to REDEEM oneself. That is why OP made statements like "one shouldn't have to showcase a Biology degree." And that is correct. People shouldn't have to nor should anyone be treated without respect because they don't have a degree.

I would not turn to a message board to vent because your situation could easily be recognized by the doctors and staff at the hospital that you work at. I think seeking counseling/therapy for this type of situation may have been better.

I hope you are able to work through this unfortunate situation. Good luck to you in your career in medicine.

Last edited:
He accuses us, we accuse him. How very hypocritical.
anonymous

Anyway, the OP was not being pretentious. Except LizzyM and a couple of other people, many of you missed the entire point of the post. The point is: He/she felt the doctor was being severely insulting. Therefore, the OP felt the need to REDEEM oneself. That is why OP made statements like "one shouldn't have to showcase a Biology degree." And that is correct. People shouldn't have to nor should anyone be treated without respect because they don't have a degree.

I would not turn to a message board to vent because your situation could easily be recognized by the doctors and staff at the hospital that you work at. I think seeking counseling/therapy for this type of situation may have been better.

I hope you are able to work through this unfortunate situation. Good luck to you in your career in medicine.

I have a strong hunch you are the OP. Brand new account, same writing style

I have a strong hunch you are the OP. Brand new account, same writing style

Ummmm no. My pre-med days are ancient history and so are my graduate school and medical school days. Not that you need to know. But, if you need to think that I am a troll to feel better about yourself than by all means have at it.

If the aforementioned happened to me, I would not post it on an internet board. SDN is popular, and the OP could be identified.

Last edited:
My only contribution to this thread is that an OR is probably the last place you would ever want to "showcase a BS in biology."

My only contribution to this thread is that an OR is probably the last place you would ever want to "showcase a BS in biology."

The original poster wasn't showcasing a BS in Biology; the individual felt the need to redeem oneself. You are taking his/her statement completely out of context.

The important lesson here is that past is past, you learn and grow from it. This is an important first lesson in dealing with difficult people. The key is to not become a difficult person yourself.

Ummmm no. My pre-med days are ancient history and so are my graduate school and medical school days. Not that you need to know. But, if you need to think that I am a troll to feel better about yourself than by all means have at it.

If the aforementioned happened to me, I would not post it on an internet board. SDN is popular, and the OP could be identified.

haha, I'm sooooo not a duplicate account that I need bold text to show how not a duplicate account I am :smack:

Reactions: 1 users