Just Can't Do iT!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KAM

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After being rejected from every US MD school during this application cycle, one begins to doubt in his or her own ability to succeed. Nevertheless, in the midst of scrumiging for a back up plan and questioning ones devotion/loyalty to study medicine, friends and family have been proposing alternate routes.

One thing that keeps coming up is to become a dentist ! Though i know dental school isn't easy, infact i think its just as hard, they're definately ALOT of perks for being a dentist in US right now. And from this constant pesturing, everynight before i go to bed, i look at myself brush my teeth and try to coax myself into becoming one :) I just CAN't do it! Though i know the road is relatively less dauting and $$ for hours/stress of lifestyle is good, starrring at peoples teeth for a living does NOT = job satisfaction to me ! :)

I will apply again !

Regards.

Members don't see this ad.

Keep your head up. Im 0/3 and hope that I dont become 0/4 in 2007 :) All and all, you are not alone so do not worry.

Have you tried shadowing a dentist to see what a typical day might be like? Some of it might be fascinating to you. It's a lot of working with your hands, so if you thought you might like surgery, it might be a good alternative. Best upside of them all? Not having to do rectals...

At least by shadowing one you can look your friends and family in the eye and say flat out that it doesn't interest you, and you won't hear about it any longer.

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
KAM said:
After being rejected from every US MD school during this application cycle, one begins to doubt in his or her own ability to succeed. Nevertheless, in the midst of scrumiging for a back up plan and questioning ones devotion/loyalty to study medicine, friends and family have been proposing alternate routes.

One thing that keeps coming up is to become a dentist ! Though i know dental school isn't easy, infact i think its just as hard, they're definately ALOT of perks for being a dentist in US right now. And from this constant pesturing, everynight before i go to bed, i look at myself brush my teeth and try to coax myself into becoming one :) I just CAN't do it! Though i know the road is relatively less dauting and $$ for hours/stress of lifestyle is good, starrring at peoples teeth for a living does NOT = job satisfaction to me ! :)

I will apply again !

Regards.

Life is long, and if it takes a year or two to get to a goal, it doesn't really make much difference in the big picture. You will be a couple of years older whether you spend the next few years doing med school classes or doing application improvement type stuff. A couple of years is meaningless in what might be a 40+ year career for you. Look at it as an opportunity to do something interesting (and hopefully med school app worthy) for a year, be it postbac or more ECs or something totally unrelated. Good luck.

There are lot of people who don't get in their first time around, or their second time around or their third time around. so don't lose your confidence and hope. Try to figure out what area you need to work on and improve it for the next application cycle.