Just curious.. Would you guys pursue Pharmacy if..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ar2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...school would only cost you ~ $100,000 total?.

I've seen a lot of posts warning pre-pharmacy students to stay away from the profession. I am asking this question on behalf of a family member who is considering pharmacy & medicine.

It seems a big issue for a lot of people are the enormous amount of debt one has to take on. I was just curious if you guys would advise someone to pursue pharmacy if they can get in & out of school only owing around $100,000?.. She has worked as a tech & enjoys the atmosphere & work. She has also shadowed physicians. The physicians have told her only to do medicine if she can't see herself doing anything else, as it is a long hard road with huge changes looming around the corner. I believe med school would run her around $180,00 to $200,000 she told me. Just curious what you guys/gals think, & to see if I can get some info to relay back to her. Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer : NO. Not at this moment. Lack of jobs, lack of respect, lack of support in working...All points to "NO".

Ask this question 5-10 yrs ago: YES. YES. YES....Lots of job, okay/good respects, and lots of supports, plus tons of bonuses...New grads back then can grab a brand new BMW along with a sign on bonus.

No, the number of students in school is out of proportion to the number of positions that are likely to be available. 2013 will look like the good old days by the time she graduates. $100K and 4 years is a huge risk.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you guys think $100,000 is too much for a PharmD?... I was thinking that was a decent price tag. Not so much I guess..?

So you guys think $100,000 is too much for a PharmD?... I was thinking that was a decent price tag. Not so much I guess..?

I think the concern is that your family member will spend four years of her life and go into debt only to not find a job at the end of it. It will be tough paying back $100,000 if she can't find a job in her field.

I think the concern is that your family member will spend four years of her life and go into debt only to not find a job at the end of it. It will be tough paying back $100,000 if she can't find a job in her field.

Point well taken. So, is the job market really that bad out there for PharmD's?.. If it is, I feel bad for everyone interested in pharmacy.

If she were able to find a job, would it still be a good option considering the 100 K price tag?

Point well taken. So, is the job market really that bad out there for PharmD's?.. If it is, I feel bad for everyone interested in pharmacy.

If she were able to find a job, would it still be a good option considering the 100 K price tag?

Don't you see a bunch of threads talking about how PharmDs can't land jobs these days? I am sure the thread above or below this one is already talking about it. There is even one sticky thread discussing about the issues. And yes to confirm, it is a tough job market out there for PharmDs.

Well, unless her family already has a pharmacy openning and plan to hand it to her to run...then it shouldn't be a problem. Other than that, being in debt for 100K and can't make repayment due to lack of jobs definitely is a NO NO.

Here are some threads :
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1020757
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=639184
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1019106

It's really sad when it's considered a bargain to be 100K in student loan debt. :(

$100 k is not too bad. But make sure this is what she wants to do. Just remember most of the jobs are in retail.

I'd be happy to be only $100K in debt. I'm in for over twice that. The jury is still out on whether that turns out to be worth it.

If I was working as much and as hard as I am now to still be in 100k in debt then it wouldn't be worth it to me. My school actually costs almost exactly 100k for 4 years (including interest) but I should come out with about a third of that at this rate.

If I had to put a value on the education we get it wouldn't be anywhere close to 100k. Half of that would be pushing it IMO.

...school would only cost you ~ $100,000 total?.

I've seen a lot of posts warning pre-pharmacy students to stay away from the profession. I am asking this question on behalf of a family member who is considering pharmacy & medicine.

It seems a big issue for a lot of people are the enormous amount of debt one has to take on. I was just curious if you guys would advise someone to pursue pharmacy if they can get in & out of school only owing around $100,000?.. She has worked as a tech & enjoys the atmosphere & work. She has also shadowed physicians. The physicians have told her only to do medicine if she can't see herself doing anything else, as it is a long hard road with huge changes looming around the corner. I believe med school would run her around $180,00 to $200,000 she told me. Just curious what you guys/gals think, & to see if I can get some info to relay back to her. Thank you all in advance!

There are many other career options now that make well over 100k easily. Computer science...anything tech right now there is so much demand for it. Also, PAs and NPs are raking it in too...especially if you are NP...you can specialize later on and make 150k+ (anesthesiology)

$100,000 might be ok, certainly better than the situation we have now, but keep in mind that the banks, the schools, etc are all still ripping us off at that point and will still presumably be trying to do so in such an alternate universe.

Doing things over, I would do something else, as I have options, at least in my youth

The American Dream: put $0 into something for a $100,000 return every year.