Just Finished Chemistry with a C, what next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moka-akashiya-moon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All-

I have been trolling these threads of late (as I am sure many people do) as I begin my journey as a pre-med student. To give you all some background- I am a 25 year old student (non-trad) that just graduated from University with a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology. I did very well in my undergraduate studies, and even graduated with honors. Over the last year, I have been working as a research assistant for the department of psychiatry at a top 10 hospital, and have realized that my professional interests are more in psychiatry and understanding psychiatric disorders in relationship to overall physical health, as well as the effect of medical disorders on mental health. It has truly been a formative experience, and inspired in me a passion for medicine and medical research. From this experience, I have decided that I would rather pursue a degree in Medicine as opposed to a graduate program in Psychology only.

Right after graduating, I decided to take a chemistry class over the summer, which was very accelerated. I did not do so well- I got a C. I am really down on myself, as I don't think I've ever received a C in any class before (not even in high school). I had never taken a Chemistry class before, and hadn't taken algebra or any other science course in at-least 3 years (ancient history).

I got accepted to a post baccalaureate program, which will place me in organic chemistry and physics next semester. RN I am not sure that I am ready for these classes, considering my grade in chemistry and insufficient background in the math and sciences. My question is this- I am debating whether I should go into the PB program at all, and instead do an unstructured PB at my alma mater to take precalculus or calculus to refresh my background in math, and repeat the Chemistry class (I know if I take it again I'll do better). Do you think it would be better to take this path, or to jump right into Organic Chemistry next semester with Physics?

Members don't see this ad.

Try harder in Chem II; change your strategy

but my advice - if you get a C in chem II, medicine might not be for you. It would be hard to be accepted with C's in gen chem, and you would likely never make it past orgo I

all the best

Reactions: 1 user
Okay this whole "medicine might not be for you" by @TheBiologist is a bit much... Definite sign of lack of knowledge in the sciences, which OP admits, but doesn't mean the dude/ dudette is doomed for a career in medicine.

If I were you, I'd do the unstructured PB. Organic chemistry and physics is a whirlwind of fun even for science majors, so make sure you're adequately prepared instead of barely scraping by through the pre-reqs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Right after graduating, I decided to take a chemistry class over the summer, which was very accelerated. I did not do so well- I got a C. I am really down on myself, as I don't think I've ever received a C in any class before (not even in high school). I had never taken a Chemistry class before, and hadn't taken algebra or any other science course in at-least 3 years (ancient history).
Though it may be easy to write off a low grade to the faster pace of the course, the sciences can be difficult especially with little background in them. I think it'd be wise to slow down and not rush through the pre-reqs. Getting A's is more crucial than quickly finishing the pre-reqs.

I'd go for the unstructured post-bacc. This would give you more time to refine your study strategies in the sciences.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. :) I agree that rushing into PB program may not be right for me, considering that my starting point is not one that is strong in the sciences. I am willing to work hard and am steadfast in achieving my goals, so I hope that my determination and a change of strategy will help pull me through and I will do better in the coming semesters.

Reactions: 1 users
First, keep a calm head. This is one course, just prove you can do well by excelling in other courses, them mcat, etc

but my advice - if you get a C in chem II, medicine might not be for you. It would be hard to be accepted with C's in gen chem, and you would likely never make it past orgo I

all the best
this is NOT true. Gen chem was more math than anything in my opinion. I have heard of lots of people that got c's in gen chem and A's in orgo. Your statement is not based on fact.

He also said he hadn't taken algebra in years. This means the algebra may have hindered his success.

I recommend you watch some khan academy videos in the algebra section and do their practice problems to strengthen your skills. The algebra is tougher in gen chem 2.

all the best
First time I took chem, I was en route to failing. Withdrew, retook for an A. Never got lower than a B+ in a science prereq after that, and ended up with a sGPA of 3.79. One failure does not an application ruin. Similar to OP, I was completely unfamiliar with college algebra, which killed my performance. Taught it to myself between my retake, and knocked every science class after that out of the park.

Reactions: 3 users
First time I took chem, I was en route to failing. Withdrew, retook for an A. Never got lower than a B+ in a science prereq after that, and ended up with a sGPA of 3.79. One failure does not an application ruin. Similar to OP, I was completely unfamiliar with college algebra, which killed my performance. Taught it to myself between my retake, and knocked every science class after that out of the park.
Sometimes it takes a bad grade to kick you in your butt and show you what you need to work on.

Reactions: 1 users
Sometimes it takes a bad grade to kick you in your butt and show you what you need to work on.
Pretty much. The best grade to ever happen to me was a B- in microbiology- losing the two points that dropped me to the B- instead of a B meant I couldn't apply the course to NP or PA programs in my area. I had to cope with real failure in that regard, and was initially furious at my professor (who was kind of a jerk), but eventually realized it was my poor study habits and character flaws that had earned the loss of every point that dropped me that far (because I was a lazy jerk). Changed a lot of things after that. Luckily, it wasn't a med school prereq, so I didn't have to retake it for schools that had a B or higher requirement of their prereq courses, but without that and my chem retake, I'd have been a very different student. Failure early on in community college really made me straighten out my **** before going on to university and ultimately medical school.

Reactions: 3 users
@Sardinia The PB program has no linkage with a medical school. It has a minimum GPA of 2.5 (students are rarely accepted with lower than 3.0) as it is also a program for academic enhancers. I would be moving into the cohort in the fall, and first semester of courses is Orgo with lab and Physics with lab. I'm thinking that it may be better for me to slow down, retake chem (and a precalc or calc course) outside of the PB program and be completely solid in that material before dive bombing into the more difficult material without a strong background. This would prevent me from getting into the PB program, but I could likely find the same resources they provide on my own (letter of rec, MCAT prep course, etc).

If you think need to refresh yourself on basic foundations or go at a somewhat slower pace to get acclimated, then I think you should do just that. Definitely improve your study habits and address what your weaknesses are. But ignore anyone who tells you that getting a C in Chemistry means you're not cut out for medical school. If you showed a pattern of low grades and couldn't improve them after serious attempts, then maybe I'd say that. But 1 C doesn't mean you don't have what it takes.

And I agree that if you go the unstructured post-bacc route, you probably won't be missing out on much in terms of resources.

A C in Gen Chem won't be the nail in the coffin. 4-5 C's in science classes would be a serious problem. Obviously try to get an A in gen chem 2, orgo and biochem to show your proficiency in the sciences.

Reevaluate your study strategies. Preview the lecture material before class, pay attention during lecture, rewrite lecture notes after class and do all the practice problems possible.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

you're fine. C+ in o-chem I sophomore year. got it together and got an A in o chem II. got into med school. don't listen to people who say you won't get in after one bad grade. if you improve over time you're proving to yourself all you needed to do was alter your approach a little.

fine. C+ in o-chem I sophomore year. got it together and got an A in o chem II. got into med school. don't listen to people who say you won't get in after one bad grade. if you improve over time you're proving to yourself all you needed to do was alter your approach a little.
Thank you for your sage words, Matt Damon.

Do you have a tutoring department? See them and get help.
Watch Khan academy videos.
make friends in the class. See what professors tested on past exams. Study smarter and not just harder.

Use the resources at your disposal and don't let chemistry stand between you ambitions!

The best thing to do is to learn from your mistakes so that you can kick ass in Chem 2. The problem with Chem 2 is that it builds off from Chem 1. It's pure calculation, but it starts to involve numbers of greater magnitude later on (quantum). What's good is that Chem 2 gets somewhat easier later on. Quantum physics is cookie cutter math, and kinetics are pretty easy too.

The best thing I did for Gen Chem 2 was I studied for my MCAT while taking it. Of course I studied the concepts again while I was actually studying for the MCAT. What I mean is, I studied from my TBR gen chem 2 book while studying for the class and it helped simplify everything. Gen Chem 1 would be hard accelerated no doubt, don't beat yourself up over it. Just do good from now on and you should be fine.

Last edited:

all the best

Veteran of an F in Bio 1 and C's in Chem 1 & 2. "Medicine might not be for you" is an absurd statement to make. Also the subject matter of Chem vs orgo are very different, Chem is largely mathematical while orgo is mostly conceptual and critical thinking. It is very common for people who struggle in one class to excel in the other.

OP, be sure to take a light schedule along with Chem 2. Attend office hours and seek out your schools learning center if you have one. We had a service that would actually tutor struggling students in b*tch classes like gen Chem for free -- if you have something like that available, use it. Also consider sitting in on other sections of the class taught by different professors. Hearing the info a second time in A Slightly different way can be helpful. If you don't do well again in Chem 2 consider retaking later on in your career so you can do AACOMAS grade replacement and show MD schools you learned your stuff.

When MCAT time comes, be sure to prepare very thoroughly for the physical science (or whatever the kids are calling it these days) section. You want to be able to silence all doubt about your Chem abilities.

Good luck!