Just finished M.S. - chances now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnychen80

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone just completed an M.S. degree at USC and wanted to know what you guys thought.
Gonna apply to 25ish schools, haven't finalized list yet but I am not picky about where Im going

Asian Male, 24 years old, CA resident

Education
UC Irvine - B.S. in Bio
cGPA: 3.39
BCPM: 3.40

USC - M.S. in Global Medicine
GPA: 3.91

MCAT Scores
1) 10P, 8V, 11B, 29R
2) 12P, 9V, 9B, 30Q

Experiences
- Shadowed 3 doctors over the past 2 years
- Plenty of volunteer work, both medical and non-medical

Research
- 2 years as an undergrad
- 1 year as a full time lab tech after graduation
- 3 accepted publications

I greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks Everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone just completed an M.S. degree at USC and wanted to know what you guys thought.
Gonna apply to 25ish schools, haven't finalized list yet but I am not picky about where Im going

Asian Male, 24 years old, CA resident

Education
UC Irvine - B.S. in Bio
cGPA: 3.39
BCPM: 3.40

USC - M.S. in Global Medicine
GPA: 3.91

MCAT Scores
1) 10P, 8V, 11B, 29R
2) 12P, 9V, 9B, 30Q

Experiences
- Shadowed 3 doctors over the past 2 years
- Plenty of volunteer work, both medical and non-medical

Research
- 2 years as an undergrad
- 1 year as a full time lab tech after graduation
- 3 accepted publications
What is your BCPM GPA from the masters program and how many credit hours are included in it?

What is dragging down your undergrad BCPM and what was the science grade trend over the undergrad years?

Will you be applying to DO med schools also?

My masters program was basically all BCPM and 32 units. gpa = 3.91

In my undergrad i don't have any particularly low marks except a C in physics 3, I just got alot of B's. I wasn't very focused in my undergrad.

My BCPM in Undergrad:
Freshmen: 3.34
Sophomore: 3.32
Junior: 3.23
Senior: 3.61

I was aiming for MD, still considering DO or the carib.

Members don't see this ad :)

In my undergrad i don't have any particularly low marks except a C in physics 3, I just got alot of B's. I wasn't very focused in my undergrad.

My BCPM in Undergrad:

Show us your list.

My BCPM in Undergrad:

aim for MD, and DO is just as fine. however, stay the **** out of the caribbean.

So far:
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSD
UC Riverside
UC Davis
USC
George Washington
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
Rush University
Ohio State
U of Miami
Both U of Arizona's
U of Connecticut
Wake Forest

Any suggestions? I still need to find more/revise. I've been mostly working on my PS

I don't have a sense yet of whether the UC schools reward reinvention, the way other schools (like Tulane, Tufts, Albany) do. Perhaps my colleague gyngyn can chime in on this. Your MCATs are well below avg to be competetive for an OOS public school, and any UC school too.

. U AZ-Tuscon does not accept OOS's. Suggest adding MCW, SLU, Rosy Franklin, NYMC, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, and all the newest schools in MI, FL, NY, CT, PA and VA.

You're fine for any DO program.

So far:
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSD
UC Riverside
UC Davis
USC
George Washington
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
Rush University
Ohio State
U of Miami
Both U of Arizona's
U of Connecticut
Wake Forest

Any suggestions? I still need to find more/revise. I've been mostly working on my PS
Do you have a demonstrated committment to the care of people in the inland empire? If so, you have a shot a UCR. We haven't seen the stats of the incoming (first) class yet but I'm willing to guess you are in the running.
You have a distant shot at UCI and Davis.
You would be making another donation to USC and additional ones to UCLA and UCSD.

May I gently suggest adding Western and Touro?

Thanks for the suggestion guys I'll look into all those schools.
I haven't done anything in the inland empire area because I've never lived in that area. Some of the schools on my list like Ohio state and George wash have a relationship with my program and have taken a large number of our graduates so hopefully I can get into one of them.

So is it a consensus that it is better to do a DO in the states vs. an MD in the carribean??

Thanks for the suggestion guys I'll look into all those schools.
I haven't done anything in the inland empire area because I've never lived in that area. Some of the schools on my list like Ohio state and George wash have a relationship with my program and have taken a large number of our graduates so hopefully I can get into one of them.

So is it a consensus that it is better to do a DO in the states vs. an MD in the carribean??
Absolutely.

University of Illinois, though incredibly expensive for OOSers, often gives Cali folk some love. You need to have three behavioral science courses for consideration, though. Also, check out any school that has an SMP, as they are most likely to regard your postbac work (RFU, already mentioned above, is one of them.)

Thanks for the input guys really appreciate it. I'll apply to 25ish MD schools and 2-3 DOs

So far:
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSD
UC Riverside
UC Davis
USC
George Washington
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
Rush University
Ohio State
U of Miami
Both U of Arizona's
U of Connecticut
Wake Forest

UCONN accepts like 85% instate, which is alot considering class is only ~90. Unless you had ties, or higher stats that would boost their averages, it is probably unlikely.

good point thanks! ill have to take a more in depth look at the MSAR over the next few days

Last edited:
hey so I know this post is really old but I didnt get in anywhere last year and I was wondering if you guys can give me some input into schools again? I would really appreciate it because this will most likely be my last shot. My primaries should be verified by next week, and I've been doing alot of research before adding a school to my list.

Just to Recap:
- Asian Male, 26, California Resident
- 350+ volunteer hours, both clinical and non-clinical
- 4 years of research, 2 publications. Currently working at a pharmaceutical company

MCAT:
2011: 29 (10P, 8V, 11B)
2012: 30 (12P, 9V, 9B)
2014: 33 (11P, 11V. 11B)

Undergrad GPA from UC Irvine: 3.4 overall and BCPM from UC Irvine
Masters GPA from USC: 3.9+ (almost all science classes)

Looking to add a few more schools, maybe some that favor research or reinvention

UC Irvine
UC Riverside
UC Davis

U of Utah (used to live there and an immediate family member received a PhD from here)
Rush
NYMC
MC Wisconsin
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Penn State
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virgina Medical School
Albany
Drexel
Jefferson
Georgetown