Just finished, need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hidden

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished taking my DAT after postponing it for two weeks. I think my scores are pretty bad and wanted to get some extra opinion on it and my chances of dental school.

PAT - 15
QR - 16 (that calculator did A LOTTTT more damage then good unfortunately)
RC - 24
Biology - 15
Chemistry - 17
OChem - 21
TS - 17
AA - 19

I'm a little surprised at the discrepancy between my biology and ochem score, as I'm majoring in biology.

I had a 2.1 GPA starting out college; however have since raised it up to a 3.4 and in my last year. I have about 80 hours dental observation. I'm involved with a volunteering organization at my school and am president this coming semester. I'm also going to try to observe an oral surgeon and already know I will be observing further with my dentist. I know I should retake the exam, but with the 90 day waiting period, my scores may not even get here in time to apply this cycle. Should I apply this cycle or wait and retake the DAT? Any help will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry but those scores definitely warrant a retake. Keep your head up though. You have some good scores to work with. Just need to touch up on a few sections. What did you use to study for bio, QR, and PAT?

If i were you i would still apply a 19AA is not the end of the world with your TS though i would plan on a retake but still apply and who knows maybe it will work for you. I know Marquette is one school that doesn't mind 2 low scores.

you'll definitely have to retake but that doesn't necessarily mean you can't apply this cycle. Your DAT will be late but if you think you can do well in three months time and money is not a problem then you may as well give it a shot. How long did you study and what materials did you use?

Members don't see this ad :)
I used Kaplan's online course; however, I didn't get to fully finish the Ochem II and biology II sections. I recommend it if you have the money, but I really think I should have used the money somewhere else. I tried to study everyday, while I'm taking Calculus, but that failed a few days due to homework and exams.

I plan to retake the DAT, after looking at some deadline dates. I think getting the DAT destroyer will help and will be looking into other options as well.

If you wanna be competitive, I strongly suggest a retake. 19AA is very respectable, but you got a 15 in biology and PAT.

yeah destroyer is a good idea. You should also look into getting Cliffs AP Bio and Crack DAT PAT

Yeah, admissions expects you to do well in the area that you major.

I don't remember which school's dean said it, but they said in a school visit that if you are a bio major, for example, they expect you to rock the bio section. The same goes if you are a chem major, and so on.

That 19AA looks nice on its own, but its horribly skewed becuase of that 24. If they only looked at the 19 you might have a good chance, but they look at all of it and thats really gonna hurt you.

Apply now, and plan to retake the DAT in 3 months as well.

The only bad thing about the retake is that chances of you getting another 24 in RC is slim, so thats most likely going to go down while everything else will most likely go up.