Just finished Pre-Reqs...Should I take the MCAT this year or Next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocMcStuffins89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My plan was to finish my pre-reqs this summer 2016 (and I did as of today) then study and take the MCAT this year (sometime in Aug/Sept). When looking over the Test date schedule I realized I don't have much time to study and then take the exam. I wanted to take it at least twice before applying.

I'm debating whether or not I should just wait and take it next year when I have more time to study (and build my resume.) Keep in mind...I'm 27, already have my B.S. and Masters (MPH), work full-time at a primary care Dr. office, and this is my first time ever applying.

I'm worried about taking the exam so close in date and not having enough time to actually study between to increase my score. I'd hate to put in so much work to maybe get a mediocre score and pay so much money for the test and applications.I was also considering taking it at least once - maybe the last day (Sept 10) just to have an idea about where I am at. There is an off-chance that I may do well...but I won't really know until I start studying and doing practice questions.

I'm also getting up there in age and would like to get accepted sooner than later. My original plan was to apply this year and begin next year. Any thoughts/ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Delay - taking another yr to bolster your application won't really stop your prospects if you do well on the MCAT. It's also a bit too late to apply this year anyhow as a non-trad.

First of all.. You don't want to take the MCAT more than once. You have to plan to take it only once and get the score you want. The scores on your practice full lengths will give you an idea of whether you should take the real exam or not. Secondly, when you say you have your pre reqs done, does that include Biochemistry ? While its not generally a prerequisite for applying, I believe taking a semester of biochemistry will be a tremendous help during your Studying for the MCAT.. Also, I would strongly advice on waiting to apply for the 2018 cycle. How do you plan to do well on your summer classes and also study for the MCAT all at the same time. Hold off on the MCATs till at least January of 2017 and apply June 1st in order to be on top of the applications pile. The application process is daunting, you want to go through it only once with the best possible shape, and now is not the right time for you. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My plan was to finish my pre-reqs this summer 2016 (and I did as of today) then study and take the MCAT this year (sometime in Aug/Sept). When looking over the Test date schedule I realized I don't have much time to study and then take the exam. I wanted to take it at least twice before applying.

I'm debating whether or not I should just wait and take it next year when I have more time to study (and build my resume.) Keep in mind...I'm 27, already have my B.S. and Masters (MPH), work full-time at a primary care Dr. office, and this is my first time ever applying.

I'm worried about taking the exam so close in date and not having enough time to actually study between to increase my score. I'd hate to put in so much work to maybe get a mediocre score and pay so much money for the test and applications.I was also considering taking it at least once - maybe the last day (Sept 10) just to have an idea about where I am at. There is an off-chance that I may do well...but I won't really know until I start studying and doing practice questions.

I'm also getting up there in age and would like to get accepted sooner than later. My original plan was to apply this year and begin next year. Any thoughts/ideas?

According to the adcoms, that post on student doctor, you should plan on taking the MCAT only once, since a lot of schools will look at both scores, with some even averaging them together. If you score poorly on your first test you may be viewed as having poor decision making abilities.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so glad to see someone else ask this question. I'm in a similar situation but was planning on taking chem 2, physics 1 & organic chem (between now-July) then MCAT late Aug with help from Kaplan. I'd be applying with 2 pre-reqs still needed (physics 2 & biochem) so my biggest dilemma is deciding if I should hard charge it now or wait to take it next year. I know it sounds stupid but being 26 and thinking I won't be able to apply until maybe 28 (assuming I wait a year) just makes me feel pretty far behind considering most med students are in the low 20's. However I'm hoping my medical military experience will make up for that. Any advice?