Just Finished Taking the April MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

W7227

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my MCAT a few hours ago...kind disappointed, because it was not as challenging as I imagined, especially the Verbal part (when I finished, I still had 20 minutes left!:eek:

Is it normal? I've never taken the old MCAT, so I can't really tell if the level of difficulty has actually went down.

Any April MCAT takers?Any thought?

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished my MCAT a few hours ago...kind disappointed, because it was not as challenging as I imagined, especially the Verbal part (when I finished, I still had 20 minutes left!:eek:

Is it normal? I've never taken the old MCAT, so I can't really tell if the level of difficulty has actually went down.

Is this the new 2015 mcat? If so what were your thoughts on the social sciences section?

Is this the new 2015 mcat? If so what were your thoughts on the social sciences section?

Yes, it was the actual test.

I read the Princeton Review on social sciences, and I felt I was pretty prepared. I can tell you it's like a shorter version of the Verbal section with some implicit social knowledge. I can't really tell you if it's easy or not, because my perception of that area is currently disorientated, but I finished with at lease half an hour left...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Go relax.... you've earned it.

Reactions: 9 users
did you only reviewed with princeton?
Yeah...my school library has all five Princeton Reviews.

Honestly though, 98% of the stuff I memorized was pretty useless...It was more about reading comprehension (seriously, if you look hard enough, 90% of the answers can be found in the passage). But the reason you go through all those fat review books is to familiarize yourself with the passage content, so you know "where" to find and incorporate your answer when presented.

Reactions: 3 users
Go relax.... you've earned it.
Yeah, I am so glad to have my freedom back after a full month of intense study (literally 16 hr/day!).

And now I have to think hard on how to "decompress" myself LOL (I think I think too much...my brain hurts!

Reactions: 2 users

I read the Princeton Review on social sciences, and I felt I was pretty prepared. I can tell you it's like a shorter version of the Verbal section with some implicit social knowledge. I can't really tell you if it's easy or not, because my perception of that area is currently disorientated, but I finished with at lease half an hour left...

It's interesting that you say this, because I hypothesized when they changed the test that the new social sciences section was really only another verbal-type test added to give additional weight to the reading comprehension section. I've read some reports that people who scored high on the verbal section of the old MCAT generally had higher Step scores, that there was some correlation there.

So, instead of one verbal section that is 1/3 of your total score, verbal counts for about half of your score. That was what I guessed before your comment here, anyway.

I have no idea if that was AMCAS's reasoning for that change, but that was my immediate thought when I heard it would be added some time ago. Will definitely be interested to know if others thought what you did.

And congrats for finishing it!!

It's interesting that you say this, because I hypothesized when they changed the test that the new social sciences section was really only another verbal-type test added to give additional weight to the reading comprehension section. I've read some reports that people who scored high on the verbal section of the old MCAT generally had higher Step scores, that there was some correlation there.

So, instead of one verbal section that is 1/3 of your total score, verbal counts for about half of your score. That was what I guessed before your comment here, anyway.

I have no idea if that was AMCAS's reasoning for that change, but that was my immediate thought when I heard it would be added some time ago. Will definitely be interested to know if others thought what you did.

And congrats for finishing it!!

I always thought it was because AMCAS wants to encourage a more diverse range of majors to apply, instead of just the traditional. Also, I think maybe there's some current mentality among medical students/doctors that doesn't sit well with AMCAS, because I saw a lot of passages about racial/gender prejudices and discriminations on Social Sciences.

Last edited:
Way to go! Why be disappointed that it wasn't challenging? You may have done really well!

How was the Physical Sciences section? The Kaplan stuff I'm doing is a beast, so I'm hoping the actual AAMC test won't be as bad. I really dislike physics so I hope it wasn't as bad as I'm expecting, haha.

Way to go! Why be disappointed that it wasn't challenging? You may have done really well!

How was the Physical Sciences section? The Kaplan stuff I'm doing is a beast, so I'm hoping the actual AAMC test won't be as bad. I really dislike physics so I hope it wasn't as bad as I'm expecting, haha.

Like I said, my sense of perception is really messed up right now...But it was kinda easy for me. I know physics like the back of my hand (that's why I am so disappointed, because all the physics questions are so...brainless). And while I despise organic chemistry, I somehow am always good at it (...)

My only concern is biology--scratch that, my concern is that when they present you with big enzyme names and ask you to analyze some convoluted, non-linear relationship according to the passage.

So my advice is, definitely read through your review books, know the concepts, but more importantly, practice tests! (It's not knowledge that wins you a battle, it's strategy! Know your enemy!

Reactions: 3 users
How was organic and biochemistry?

You don't need to know all the details regarding every single organic molecule, but definitely know important functions like ketones, alcohols, amines, carboxylic derivatives, etc. Basic concepts like oxidation, reduction, nucleophilic addition elimination, decarboxylation, etc. And most importantly, know sugar (hemiacetal, acetal) and amino acid structures!

Last point, memorize the 20 amino acids, their structure and acidity and basicity (I know some review books said not to bother, but trust me, you do!

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need to know all the details regarding every single organic molecule, but definitely know important functions like ketones, alcohols, amines, carboxylic derivatives, etc. Basic concepts like oxidation, reduction, nucleophilic addition elimination, decarboxylation, etc. And most importantly, know sugar (hemiacetal, acetal) and amino acid structures!

Last point, memorize the 20 amino acids, their structure and acidity and basicity (I know some review books said not to bother, but trust me, you do!
Okay cool brah thank you!!

That would be a review book I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole.

If someone came out of biochemistry I without having to memorize the structure and characteristics of the standard amino acids, there's something wrong with that course. :p

Reactions: 1 users
Here is what I thought:
The Bio was the hardest section. I even had to guess a few passage questions cause of time mismanagement. The verbal was pretty consistent with practice tests, if not a tad easier. The physical sciences seemed easier than previous exams. No idea what to make out of the social sciences since I spent 0 hours studying for it (stubborn).

I'm not sure how much detail I can give, but there was one TINY concept that involved two questions and I missed it because I didn't know it, sigh.

Only section I finished earlier was in the social sciences (~20mins).

Being an English major and biology minor, I feel that I might have an edge in verbal and biology but be weak in the physical sciences like physics and gen chem (organic chem is recent and still fresh in my mind, so not much problem there). I've never taken psychology, not even in high school, so to get ready for the MCAT next spring, do you guys suggest I take the course in the fall along with biochemistry? Or would I be better off self-studying like I plan to do with sociology?

Here is what I thought:
The Bio was the hardest section. I even had to guess a few passage questions cause of time mismanagement. The verbal was pretty consistent with practice tests, if not a tad easier. The physical sciences seemed easier than previous exams. No idea what to make out of the social sciences since I spent 0 hours studying for it (stubborn).

I'm not sure how much detail I can give, but there was one TINY concept that involved two questions and I missed it because I didn't know it, sigh.

Only section I finished earlier was in the social sciences (~20mins).

Did we all take the same test?

Being an English major and biology minor, I feel that I might have an edge in verbal and biology but be weak in the physical sciences like physics and gen chem (organic chem is recent and still fresh in my mind, so not much problem there). I've never taken psychology, not even in high school, so to get ready for the MCAT next spring, do you guys suggest I take the course in the fall along with biochemistry? Or would I be better off self-studying like I plan to do with sociology?

I like to pick up a textbook and self-study. The books are very detailed, and anything you don't understand, you can find tutorial on the Internet. So if you are a "boring" person like me, go ahead follow that pathway. If you like a classroom setting, then you'd probably better off taking classes. (though the material they cover in a semester will only be equivalent to about a week worth of self-study in my case.

Last edited:

Lol, you are definitely as much of a gunner as the last generation of MCAT takers.

Reactions: 4 users

Do you think just doing Khan videos and studying those notes will be enough for Organic? I'm really behind on this section and don't think I will have time to read a prep book, so I'm freaking out!

...that's why we are applying for medical schools, right?
If every applicant was like you that would be something to worry about

Reactions: 4 users
Do you think just doing Khan videos and studying those notes will be enough for Organic? I'm really behind on this section and don't think I will have time to read a prep book, so I'm freaking out!

If you are not ready, please don't take the exam.

I assume you are taking it next month? If it's just Organic you reviewing on, then it should be enough time (then again, I am speaking from my 16-hr/day perspective

Tell you what, skim through the review book, and do a MCAT practice test and see how you are faring, and improve your areas of weakness according to it.

If every applicant was like you that would be something to worry about

I mean, I thought most people want to go to medical school because it's challenging (of course, there's also the want of helping others and being altruistic). I am currently working in a lab at a research company, and it's very...not stimulatory to my brain.

I mean, I thought most people want to go to medical school because it's challenging (of course, there's also the want of helping others and being altruistic). I am currently working in a lab at a research company, and it's very...not stimulatory to my brain.
Lol spend about 10 hours on this forum and see if you still think that.

Lol spend about 10 hours on this forum and see if you still think that.

So you think a lot of people applying to medical schools are not actually very "passionate" about it?

So you think a lot of people applying to medical schools are not actually very "passionate" about it?
I think a lot of people are in love with the idea of being a physician, without any understanding of what that actually entails.

I think a lot of people are in love with the idea of being a physician, without any understanding of what that actually entails.

Wow...this surprises me. Being a doctor requires even more dedication and time than usual, and if one doesn't have at least some capacity of passion for their career, I imagine it would be quite miserable in the long run. I shadowed a surgeon at my local hospital, and his typical day equates to standing at the surgical table for 15 hrs without so much as a lunch break!

Just out of curiosity...do you know if medical school dropout rate is high?

Wow...this surprises me. Being a doctor requires even more dedication and time than usual, and if one doesn't have at least some capacity of passion for their career, I imagine it would be quite miserable in the long run. I shadowed a surgeon at my local hospital, and his typical day equates to standing at the surgical table for 15 hrs without so much as a lunch break!

Just out of curiosity...do you know if medical school dropout rate is high?
It is very low, as is the admissions rate to medical school; that is not a coincidence.

I took an intro psych course. I literally could have self studied all of it in a couple days. To be fair, it was an online community college class, but still...I think it would be more useful to just master the topics on the AAMC study guide and read lots of psych research articles

I took an intro psych course. I literally could have self studied all of it in a couple days. To be fair, it was an online community college class, but still...I think it would be more useful to just master the topics on the AAMC study guide and read lots of psych research articles

don't really have to practice psych research articles...just focus on your Verbal reading and know your social science concepts, and you'll be fine.

It is very low, as is the admissions rate to medical school; that is not a coincidence.

But over half of applicants are accepted each year...50% overall admission rate actually seems pretty high to me.

But over half of applicants are accepted each year...50% overall admission rate actually seems pretty high to me.
That is because people apply to 20+ schools. Over 50% get in somewhere. The individual schools have acceptance rates<10%. Plus, most of the dead weight have been weeded out in undergrad by that point.

That is because people apply to 20+ schools. Over 50% get in somewhere. The individual schools have acceptance rates<10%. Plus, most of the dead weight have been weeded out in undergrad by that point.

...I was just going to apply to two schools...oh...wow...

The verbal did get much easier.... 90 minutes for 53 questions (1.69 minutes/question) versus 60 for 40 (1.5 minutes/question). The .2 doesn't seem like it would matter that much but it really does. Most people had trouble finishing the verbal on time before.

Hey @W7227 , congrats on completing the MCAT. After you decompress I encourage you to take a look at the forums, they can be very helpful and may provide you with some valuable insight as a pre-med. I know that since joining this forum my knowledge about the inter-workings of med school and healthcare has been enlightened.

Make that <5% (consistently about 1.5-3%) for OOS. See med school matriculants data 2012 spreadsheet

...I was just going to apply to two schools...oh...wow...

Please don't do that, especially if you end up with an above average score (~510+ I'm assuming); that would be a complete waste, not to mention it would be perfectly likely you wouldn't get in at all. Now that you have those free 16hrs, study up on smart application strategies. If you did well, make sure you throw in some top 20s.

Thanks for your input! Dropping online psych will lighten my course load a bit.

I'm so incredibly angry right now because I realized I messed up an equation for the first physics passage on the MCAT. It was a very simple equation and of course I mixed up two variables! The right answer was right there! And yet, I stubbornly tried to make my answer "fit". Mega le sigh.

If all the old MCAT threads taught me anything, it's that people are **** at assessing how they did. Definitely recommend waiting for the score release to start trusting people's reflections and advice

Reactions: 9 users
Why're you disappointed? That may work in your favor. Time will tell. I finished with about a half hour left too, and that's after doing the experimental portion for my $25 Amazon gift card (this was back in 2014). It was a good feeling. lol

Last edited:
If all the old MCAT threads taught me anything, it's that people are **** at assessing how they did. Definitely recommend waiting for the score release to start trusting people's reflections and advice

I assessed my composite perfectly.

I just got the scores in BS and PS mixed up. :p

Do you have a strong social sciences background or are you a social sciences major? I'm wondering because i'm probably going to be in your position. I took psych eons ago. Do you have any other tips for studying for the social sciences section?

The verbal did get much easier.... 90 minutes for 53 questions (1.69 minutes/question) versus 60 for 40 (1.5 minutes/question). The .2 doesn't seem like it would matter that much but it really does. Most people had trouble finishing the verbal on time before.

They did that to most likely factor in fatigue.

For the biology section, would you recommend taking additional courses in Anatomy and Physiology prior to the mcats? Do they test from those courses, or should knowledge from the introductory biology courses / review material be fine for the new biology section?

For the biology section, would you recommend taking additional courses in Anatomy and Physiology prior to the mcats? Do they test from those courses, or should knowledge from the introductory biology courses / review material be fine for the new biology section?
From what I remember, just the intro bio courses plus biochem, chem, and orgo. You should know how the other sciences are integrated with respect to biological systems. Basically, you should know how to apply topics in these courses to the different scenarios presented. With that being said, it wouldn't hurt to take those additional courses if you're truly interested in them.

Did anyone who took the April 2015 MCAT use pre-2015 TBR Passages for BIO, PHYSICS, CHEM, OCHEM? If so how effective were they compared to other passages out there (KA, NextStep, Kaplan, TPR, etc)

TPR for Psyc/Soc vs Kaplan Psych/Soc. TPR just seems to be a better fit for me, but I wanted to see what the test takers thought about this.

What do you wish you could have studied more of and what was easier than what you thought it would be?

Thanks in advance.