Just getting started... looking for advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrittBritt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm at the very beginning stages of getting started and I'm a bit terrified and completely overwhelmed by all of the information that I've read so far.

Here's a bit about me: I just turned 30. I have a BS in Psychology (2007) that I haven't really done much with. My undergrad performance was horrible. I have a 2.13 GPA and only one science course (Intro. Biology) that was a Gen. Ed. requirement. I was completely unprepared for college when I started and had no idea what I wanted to do. I declared Psych. late in my freshman year before switching to Education and Graphic Design, and ultimately going back to Psych. because I was told to pick something, finish my degree and get out of school. I basically had no interest in being there at all! I became much more determined during my last year and half of undergrad, and my grades were great, but they didn't make up for the mistakes I made early on.

Med. School is something I've dreamed of for a while now, but it always seemed completely out of reach. I finally decided to see what it would take to actually turn that dream into a reality after spending time with family friends who are surgeons. They are great, and have been so inspiring and encouraging for me! Since doing a bit of research, discovering this forum, and reading others' experiences, I believe that I actually may have a chance to turn that dream into a reality. I know it will take a ton of work, but I'm older now and FINALLY know what I want to do with my life!

I have absolutely no problem with repeating any class for grade replacement or averaging. I know (or, I assume) I'll have a better shot at DO schools where repeated class grades will actually be replaced, but my dream school (along with several others in the came geographic area) is an MD program and I'd at least like a shot at it/them. Is MD at all possible (I'll obviously have to work my ass off to salvage my GPA) or should I just stick to DO only? (Even with DO, I'd still be interested in an MD residency (surgical)... if I get that far)

I've looked at several post bacc. programs, but I'm afraid that my GPA may prevent my acceptance into any of them. Is there any benefit to attending a post bacc. program over taking the pre-reqs independently? Is it completely frowned upon to take these courses online if no other option is readily available? (Not planning on this, just curious) I'm also considering pursuing a Masters program, though I haven't decided on one just yet.

I've recently been living with my parents to save what money I do have instead of having to pay rent and having nothing to my name. Since I've been home, I've done "volunteer" elderly home care, physical therapy, speech therapy, occupational therapy and post-surgical care for multiple family members. There aren't any programs near me and I'd have to relocate to attend school no matter where I decide to go. What are your thoughts and suggestions on finances, both for living and for attending school? I may have friends/family in the area depending where I end up, so that will be a help.

What are some suggestions for getting experience while I'm working on all of the preliminaries? Would I be allowed to shadow in a hospital, possibly one of my surgeon friends? I've asked, and they're willing to have me shadow them, but they don't do it often and weren't quite sure if their particular hospital (and affiliated clinic) would allow me. What criteria determines if I'd be allowed to shadow?

Any advice or input will be appreciated! I'd love to hear about your own personal experiences!

Members don't see this ad.

You'll need to invest in MSAR Online to find out what schools do and don't accept online pre-reqs.

There's no real benefit to a post-bac program vs a DIY.

As a start, repeat any F/D/C science coursework.

Hospital liability rules determine whether you can shadow or not. You can always ask your family doctor.

Once you get the pre-reqs out of the way (and you have to ace them...no Beesing), I suggest a SMP since you're boning for the MD degree. they're a dime-a-dozen, and the ideal ones are associated with a med school. Ace these, and MCAT, and there are MD schools that reward reinvention.

Check out the Non-trad forum for more advice.

Your fastest path to being a doctor will be the DO route. Grade replacement does wonders for the old GPA.

Thank you for the quick response! Is there any benefit at all to completing pre-reqs and doing an SMP at the school that I'm looking to attend for MD? Would they look any more favorably toward one of their own?

Thank you for the quick response! Is there any benefit at all to completing pre-reqs and doing an SMP at the school that I'm looking to attend for MD? Would they look any more favorably toward one of their own?

Take it one step at a time. First focus on getting A's in your pre-req classes. Your GPA as of now is a long way away from being competitive, MD or DO and based on your prior academic track record it will require a substantial turn around to start getting A's in pre-req classes. That's not to say it is or isn't possible for you to do well, its just to show how many steps are necessary before you are even in a position to start contemplating type of degree you want. Good luck