Just got DAT scores...what should I do now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocAnne

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is my situation...this is my second time applying to dental school. The first time I took the DAT in August 2009, receiving 16 PAT, 12 QR, 16 OC, 17 GC, 17 Biology, 28 RC. I applied quite late, not getting materials in until the end of September.

This time I have applied early. I sent my AADSAS application in before mid June and have just retaken the DAT today.

I am so disappointed with my PAT score. I got 16 again. The breakdown of my scores this time around were:
16 PAT
18 QR
21 RC
18 Bio
19 GC
18 OC
18 TS
19 AA

I feel that this 16 may hinder my chances completely. Since applying the first time, I have made considerable strides to become a better applicant. Whereas I had a 3.3 overall science average in undergrad, I entered a graduate science program to receive 3.67 sci GPA and 3.86 overall GPA.

I have a Biology and English undergraduate degree, and will finish a Masters this December. I worked at a dental office for 2.5 years and am a weekly volunteer at both Special Olympics and in schools as a mentor/tutor.

Given everything, I am not sure what to do at this point. I still owe some supplementary fees...but am not sure if I even have a chance at this point. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

So here is my situation...this is my second time applying to dental school. The first time I took the DAT in August 2009, receiving 16 PAT, 12 QR, 16 OC, 17 GC, 17 Biology, 28 RC. I applied quite late, not getting materials in until the end of September.

This time I have applied early. I sent my AADSAS application in before mid June and have just retaken the DAT today.

I am so disappointed with my PAT score. I got 16 again. The breakdown of my scores this time around were:
16 PAT
18 QR
21 RC
18 Bio
19 GC
18 OC
18 TS
19 AA

I feel that this 16 may hinder my chances completely. Since applying the first time, I have made considerable strides to become a better applicant. Whereas I had a 3.3 overall science average in undergrad, I entered a graduate science program to receive 3.67 sci GPA and 3.86 overall GPA.

I have a Biology and English undergraduate degree, and will finish a Masters this December. I worked at a dental office for 2.5 years and am a weekly volunteer at both Special Olympics and in schools as a mentor/tutor.

Given everything, I am not sure what to do at this point. I still owe some supplementary fees...but am not sure if I even have a chance at this point. Any thoughts?

Considering you are a non-traditional applicant, I think you will get AT LEAST a few interviews. The interview will be pretty important; you'll have to defend yourself (considering your DAT didn't improve drastically).
If I were you, I would pay those extra fees ASAP because that shows you are serious about their school.
Also, your volunteering, dental experience, and the fact that you have a Masters will significantly increase your chances.

Be confident. Pay the fees. Ace the interview. :thumbup:

P.S. Where are you applying? Because that makes alll the difference.

Thank you for your input!

I am applying to:
Boston U
Tufts
Virginia Commonwealth
UBuffalo
Temple
New Jersey
Meharry
Lousiville
Arizona ASDOH ATSU
U Maryland
Western U (Cali)
PITT

I am confident that I would do well in an interview (if given the chance).

I was SOOOOOO disappointed today to see my DAT results. I had really worked hard to improve on how I had done before.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your input!

I am applying to:
Boston U :thumbup:
Tufts :thumbup:
Virginia Commonwealth
UBuffalo
Temple :thumbup:
New Jersey :thumbup:
Meharry :thumbup:
Lousiville
Arizona ASDOH ATSU
U Maryland
Western U (Cali) :thumbup:
PITT

I am confident that I would do well in an interview (if given the chance).

I was SOOOOOO disappointed today to see my DAT results. I had really worked hard to improve on how I had done before.

Your list is very humble. No ivy league! :laugh:
I'm familiar with most of the schools you applied to. I put a " :thumbup: " next to the ones I think you'll get interviews for (some I'm not familiar with), assuming of course that your Personal Statement is solid :p .

Don't be too hard on yourself; you're a competitive applicant!

:D

You should add Midwestern AZ and IL to your list. They seem to look for other things about an applicant besides their DAT scores.

All the best OP, I know how it feels having to pay application fees. This is my first time applying and it's financially & emotionally draining.

I would call the schools and see if a 16 on the PAT is a disqualifier. No need to pay more money if a PAT is not good enough...
You know though, it looks like you are in a better boat than I am! Good luck to you!