Just got MCAT retake back. Advice appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

genericscreenname

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you submit your secondaries by early September you are not too late for this cycle. Some schools may average your MCAT scores. Schools you can try with your recent MCAT include:
U Arizona (Tuscon and Phoenix)
Mayo AZ
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth

If you submit your secondaries by early September you are not too late for this cycle. Some schools may average your MCAT scores. Schools you can try with your recent MCAT include:
U Arizona (Tuscon and Phoenix)
Mayo AZ
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth

I definitely plan to pre-write all secondaries and get those in ASAP after verification. Thank you for the list!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think that you can aim higher. A 517 score is nothing to sneeze at. I'd like to see more service to others less fortunate than yourself, because your ECs are very cookie cutter.

I suggest:

U VM
U Toledo (maybe)
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
MCW
Loyola
USF Morsani
Emory
BU
Mayo
Duke
Case

Any new MD school, especially Hofstra. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools. I can't recommend CNU.

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Your state school(s).

I think that you can aim higher. A 517 score is nothing to sneeze at. I'd like to see more service to others less fortunate than yourself, because your ECs are very cookie cutter.

I suggest:

U VM
U Toledo (maybe)
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
MCW
Loyola
USF Morsani
Emory
BU
Mayo
Duke
Case

Any new MD school, especially Hofstra. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools. I can't recommend CNU.

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Your state school(s).

Thank you. I understand I'm not early but if I can get secondaries in this month will I still be ok? Everything was hinging on my retake score. I've read about the problems with CNU but why skip the FL schools and Central MI? In-state bias?

Last edited:
Yes, but remember that secondaries can be a tax on the hopelessly optimistic.

Thank you. I understand I'm not early but if I can get secondaries in this month will I still be ok? Everything was hinging on my retake score.

Yup, big IS bias.
I've read about the problems with CNU but why skip the FL schools and Central MI? In-state bias?[/QUOTE]