Just got my ambulatory rotation done! Is it too late for a residency start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Science Girl

wanderer
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on going to midyear but I haven't started thinking about residency until 3/4th way thru my ambulatory care rotation that I had during the month of October. My preceptor really encouraged me to do one and offered to write me a reference letter. I ENJOY ambulatory care. My issue is that I don't know where to start! I am attending the residency club meeting at my school next week--many residents will be talking about their experience there and other speakers. But until then I thought it might be helpful to see what pharmacy students--the ones graduating in 2014--think and if I could use some advice. Any feedback is appreciated.
Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's too late to get things together. PhORCAS just opened up, so you still have a lot of time to get things together. I would make sure you have your CV together, starting contacting references, and researching programs. Think if you want to to do an ambulatory care focused PGY-1 or would you like do a general PGY-1 and then do a PGY-2 ambulatory specialty residency. After that, you can research programs and get together a list of programs to visit at Midyear.

I'd focus on finding a 24 month am care residency if that's your interest. There are several ASHP accredited programs that have the 24 month thing. It would really beat going through the match again. Ask me how I know :(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am planning on going to midyear but I haven't started thinking about residency until 3/4th way thru my ambulatory care rotation that I had during the month of October. My preceptor really encouraged me to do one and offered to write me a reference letter. I ENJOY ambulatory care. My issue is that I don't know where to start! I am attending the residency club meeting at my school next week--many residents will be talking about their experience there and other speakers. But until then I thought it might be helpful to see what pharmacy students--the ones graduating in 2014--think and if I could use some advice. Any feedback is appreciated.
Thank you!!
I didn't start until the end of december

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT

just make sure you know whether you want to do one by midyear because if you're not ready by then you're behind.

Also know that ambulatory care is very competitive.

I'd focus on finding a 24 month am care residency if that's your interest. There are several ASHP accredited programs that have the 24 month thing. It would really beat going through the match again. Ask me how I know :(

If you do the 24 month pathway, make sure you are absolutely dead-set on ambulatory care, or else you can't get out. Many people change their minds during residency about what they want to do once residency is over.

There are some programs that have a PGY-1 focus in ambulatory care. Research this. My residency has a Ambulatory care focus. PM if you want details.