Just got my first "B"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MortellarPreMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a junior who just received my first "B" in Public Speaking (I have received 2 B+'s though in the past)...this is why i hate Gen Eds!!!! Being the anal retentive / perfectionist I am, do med schools care about this sort of grade in this sort of class?

Members don't see this ad.

Do we have a troll on our hands?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Calm down, one B won't keep you away from medical school. Or 3 for that matter. That's probably still a 3.85-3.9 GPA...

Calm down, one B won't keep you away from medical school. Or 3 for that matter. That's probably still a 3.85-3.9 GPA...

That's a bold statement, my friend. Everyone knows that the majority (~98%) of medical school applicants have a 4.0 GPA. Shockingly the same percentage of applicants score in the 99th percentile of the MCAT. And what's even more weird is that individuals with these stats make up 98% of SDN..

Hey sliceofbread, you wanna get after OP for plagiarism? :laugh:

It's fine, OP. Unless you did horribly in a course called Compassion and Respect Toward The Sick, it's unlikely a single grade is ever going to be a problem in an otherwise excellent academic record.

You're fine, man. Go drink some eggnog and sing Christmas carols.

Im a junior who just received my first "B" in Public Speaking (I have received 2 B+'s though in the past)...this is why i hate Gen Eds!!!! Being the anal retentive / perfectionist I am, do med schools care about this sort of grade in this sort of class?

As a physician, you will be talking to many people as part of your profession--patients, hospital staff, fellow attendings, boards/committees--and possibly lecturing students/residents and talking at large conferences. This B is extremely worrisome to me and most definitely admissions committee members because it says that you aren't up to snuff on talking in a professional setting. Retake and get an A for AACOMAS grade-replacement or start thinking of another profession where speaking isn't as vital.

I know it's a joke. If not, see my signature.

That's a bold statement, my friend. Everyone knows that the majority (~98%) of medical school applicants have a 4.0 GPA. Shockingly the same percentage of applicants score in the 99th percentile of the MCAT. And what's even more weird is that individuals with these stats make up 98% of SDN..

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

8288624839_3a2508dd0f_b.jpg

To be honest everyone this was a sincere post. I take school very seriously and have been brought up to belive that A's are the key to the future (med school) I cant tell who is being serious in their responses and who is not. I just have a dream of being a physician and do not want anything to stop me

To be honest everyone this was a sincere post. I take school very seriously and have been brought up to belive that A's are the key to the future (med school) I cant tell who is being serious in their responses and who is not. I just have a dream of being a physician and do not want anything to stop me

Posts #5, 9, & 10 were serious. You're welcome.

Edit: Post #18 is also serious. #20, 21, 22, & 23 as well. #24! #24 is a treasure of a post!

Last edited:
Congratulations! Like the first scratch on a new car. Now you don't have to stress about it anymore.

Nah. Don't believe (!) this. You made it clear in your original post that you were joking. Otherwise, look in my signature.

Move on.

B-B-B-But relax man! It is almost Christmas. :)

Don't worry that one B won't stop you.

Okay, I'll bite and probably regret this. Yes, it is good to take your education seriously. A good amount of people on here have a drive and a dream to become a physician as well. The reason you're getting these sarcastic posts is because of the whole "anal-retentive" thing.

There's a lot more than A's that go into this whole process. Let me give you some food for thought, I know someone who has a perfect GPA and is sitting pretty with a higher than 34/35 MCAT...got a decent number of interviews, has not gotten into ANY of the schools this individual has heard back from. He is known to have an "anal-retentive" personality. Just saying?

Becoming a physician entails having the academic/intellectual aptitude to handle the profession. The sooner you figure out that all of this just centered solely on a few Bs, the more likely you'll be successful.

B? How about Born to not go to med school? Look for a new career and quickly before, god forbid, you get anything lower than an A.

This kid will have a heart attack in medical school, assuming a school is forgiving enough to let someone in with such atrocious stats...

Trolololol

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

LOL. My number one question for trolls is where do they find all this free time? :confused:

The most effective way to troll a troll?

"you have no life" and "where do you get all this free time?"

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

You're damaged goods now, buddy. A "B" in public speaking? Who wants a doctor that's basically stumbling on his shoe laces when talking to them? Nobody. Consider yourself lucky if you get interviews in Osteopathic programs.

damn man that sucks. Harvard Med is gunna look at that and conclude that you won't be good at presenting case reports as a doctor and will with ~99% probability reject you solely because of that "B" in Public speaking. I guess you're gunna have to settle for something less, like UCSF or Yale or something. Maybe even UCLA med.

In all seriousness, why you stressing over "one B"? -__________-

Hey sliceofbread, you wanna get after OP for plagiarism? :laugh:

It's fine, OP. Unless you did horribly in a course called Compassion and Respect Toward The Sick, it's unlikely a single grade is ever going to be a problem in an otherwise excellent academic record.

Ya man wth is this crap.

I kinda want to make fun of you (since you don't know how to use the search feature) but I will hold back. :smuggrin:

me fail english? that's unpossible!

Epic quote from Ralph.

Caribbean.
Aren't mods IP banning these guys?

I hope you're either joking or not talking about me.

I remember someone else with a similar reply in another thread...
Hey everyone,

I just got my results for the physics final, and I am having some major anxiety now. Without extra credit, my grade comes out to a 88.4, but he adds all of our extra credit at the end of the semester as a boost. The problem is, I dont know exactly how much extra credit I have, hence the anxiety.

I'm just here to ask if anyone else here has gotten a B in Physics 1 and still had successful cycles to US MD programs.

Thank you for your help
Retake or Caribbean for you.

You were talking about banning OP, correct?

Don't apply. Switch to music.

Seriously, though, our GPAs are likely similar. Just have one in mind that you don't want to drop below. I suggest 3.85...it might be annoying to get Bs, but meh don't worry

Last edited: