Just got my MCAT score back....would like some advice/help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JOLA46

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just received my MCAT score and am pretty disappointed. PS7 V6 B8 TOTAL 21.

I am 30 and have been out of full time school for quite some time. I dedicated 6 months to MCAT prep and really thought I would be able to do better. I did the PR course but did not feel prepared so I bought EKs and really enjoyed their products. I took all aamc practice tests as well as the EK 101 verbal passages. I am fresh out of practice material now. Any ideas/advice?

Also, I feel pretty down about the amount of time and energy I spent prepping and my low score. Has something like this happened to anyone else? Were you able to pull up your score?

Members don't see this ad.

24-25.........my ps and bio scores were the same as my practice tests, but i bombed the verbal. I was getting 9s and 10s on my practice tests.

24-25.........my ps and bio scores were the same as my practice tests, but i bombed the verbal. I was getting 9s and 10s on my practice tests.

This sounds pretty typical. Most people fluctuate about 2-3 points from their average practice FL's.

It might be the longevity of the test getting to you on the VR. Working on your endurance may help you there.

It sounds like you could also benefit from more intense content review of your weaker areas in the sciences.

Of course, this is just my opinion!

But don't feel too discouraged!

I have heard that TBR is a great book for a more in depth review of content. The SA may also benefit you to home in on the precise areas that you struggle. Also, there are many other companies that provide FL's like Gold Standard, so you can find more out there.

Don't give up!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest you go through the TBR SCIENCES. yes, majority of ppl believe the books are more difficult than need be, but that's what preps you. IMO better to be over prepped than under. Tbr does a great job explaining and asking questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah i concur with the previous comments. for someone like me who is terrible at physics, I used TBR for practice. Although, at first it appears to be extremely challenging and discouraging because you are not used to their style of thinking, eventually it pays off. I have been doing relatively decent in PS and BS because of the tricks and concept review TBR offers. Where as in Verbal, I am trying to figure that out. Exams next week and I just started doing worse on VR. Went from scoring 9s to 6-7 :'(

I used EK for content review and I'm doing TBR passages for practice now. I think you should get your hands on the TBR passages to strengthen your sciences. The last science class I took was like over 3 years ago so I forgot a lot of my basics. For me, EK was good for content if you don't have that much time (my case) but they do lack in some areas and doing TBR helps you identify what you don't know and how to find it in the passages. Don't worry about the timing when doing TBR passages..worry about it when you do the AAMC FLs. If you get a lot wrong, don't get discouraged either..learn from your mistakes and read the explanations and really understand why you got it wrong. I haven't taken the MCAT yet but that's just my two cent from someone who hasn't taken science classes in a while.

I used EK for content review and I'm doing TBR passages for practice now. I think you should get your hands on the TBR passages to strengthen your sciences. The last science class I took was like over 3 years ago so I forgot a lot of my basics. For me, EK was good for content if you don't have that much time (my case) but they do lack in some areas and doing TBR helps you identify what you don't know and how to find it in the passages. Don't worry about the timing when doing TBR passages..worry about it when you do the AAMC FLs. If you get a lot wrong, don't get discouraged either..learn from your mistakes and read the explanations and really understand why you got it wrong. I haven't taken the MCAT yet but that's just my two cent from someone who hasn't taken science classes in a while.

TBR physics is a god send. By far the best physics source out there IMO for questions.

TBR physics is a god send. By far the best physics source out there IMO for questions.

I agree their physics is amazing...their ochem felt a bit like overkill IMO. I mean there are important sections and things you should know (especially the experiments, NMR, IR, etc) but the other stuff goes way into detail. Also, their Bio...is just wow because it's like a textbook so I'm just learning from my mistakes on the passage practices. That's just my take.

I agree their physics is amazing...their ochem felt a bit like overkill IMO. I mean there are important sections and things you should know (especially the experiments, NMR, IR, etc) but the other stuff goes way into detail. Also, their Bio...is just wow because it's like a textbook so I'm just learning from my mistakes on the passage practices. That's just my take.

Even their PS is overkill.
TPRH is more than enough.

Took MCAT twice, so I know from my experience. I used both TBR and TPRH.

Get TBR for the PS section and work through the TPR science workbook as well for extra practice. The Berkley review Gen Chem and physics books are pure gold and if you master the content and problems you can get 10 or higher on Ps. I found the tpr workbook to be very helpful as well.