Just got my scores back. What are my chances for DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flux10567

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just got my MCAT scores today and got a 27 (10, 7, 10). Pretty bummed about my score. Can't believe verbal didn't improve even though my practice scores showed otherwise.
This is my 3rd time taking. First time was 23 (10, 8, 5). 2nd time was 24 (10, 7, 7)
cGPA is 3.34
sGPA is 3.31
Have an MPH degree. Very interested in primary care in large part because I come from rural America.

My ECs are terrific. (>5000 hours that vary from ER scribing, to clinical research, to homeless shelter, etc)
Solid LORs

I was wondering what you thought my chances were? I plan on applying to around 20 DO schools.
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you apply to 20 DO schools you should receive several interviews. There are a few DO schools where a 27 MCAT would not be competitive and also avoid applying to DO schools that mainly accept state residents. @Goro could advise you on which schools to avoid applying to with a 27 MCAT.

@Goro any thoughts on a school list? I would really appreciate your feedback.
thanks!

You'll need to do your homework and avoid schools (like mine) that average scores. But plenty of them do superscore, which in your case would yield a 28. Given your origins, have WVCOM at the top of your list. On the whole, I think you'll have some decent chances.

Hi everyone,

I just got my MCAT scores today and got a 27 (10, 7, 10). Pretty bummed about my score. Can't believe verbal didn't improve even though my practice scores showed otherwise.
This is my 3rd time taking. First time was 23 (10, 8, 5). 2nd time was 24 (10, 7, 7)
cGPA is 3.34
sGPA is 3.31
Have an MPH degree. Very interested in primary care in large part because I come from rural America.

My ECs are terrific. (>5000 hours that vary from ER scribing, to clinical research, to homeless shelter, etc)
Solid LORs

I was wondering what you thought my chances were? I plan on applying to around 20 DO schools.
thanks!