Just Graduated College, Ask Me (almost) Anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasSurgeon

I don't pay state taxes
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Pre-Meds!

This is something I've wanted to do for a long time and now that I have some more time, this was one of the ways I wanted to give back to the SDN community. I'll be making more threads on different stuff but in the meantime, feel free to ask me some questions you might have about college, how to study, what I did, etc. Idk if this will help you guys, but I figured it's worth a shot.

Mods: sorry if I placed this in the wrong area.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Great job on the MCAT! I'm so glad you stuck it out and rocked it :claps:

Reactions: 1 user
Great job on the MCAT! I'm so glad you stuck it out and rocked it :claps:
Pusheeen!! Thank you so much! Yeah it hasn't been easy but I'm glad the light is finally at the end of the tunnel on this journey. BTW you think mentioning MCAT in a secondary (i.e. describe a struggle you've had) would be appropriate? Or would an adcom not take it seriously?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Pre-Med nerds!

This is something I've wanted to do for a long time and now that I have some more time (re 6/18 MCAT thread), this was one of the ways I wanted to give back to the SDN community. I'll be making more threads on different stuff but in the meantime, feel free to ask me some questions you might have about college, how to study, what I did, etc. Idk if this will help you guys, but I figured it's worth a shot.

Mods: I'm not sure if this was the right place to put this but I was just trying to help!

Also, keep in mind I'm super busy and won't get back to you guys evenly or on time so don't freak.

About me:
Graduated from a large Texas state school summa cum laude
Heavy on leadership in college
Heavy on research in college, wrote a senior thesis
Your standard garden variety of shadowing, volunteering, etc. not as much non-clinical though.
MCAT tested me in ways I can't even begin to describe. I just got my score back from a 6/18/16 test date: 511

*Rules: When asking a question, quote this first post. I'll get to you slowly. Once I respond to your first post, then start the quoting stuff like a standard link. I think it'll be more orderly like that.*

Alright have at it kids!

EDIT: Currently applying to med schools.

What was your MCAT breakdown?

I don't mean to be a negative Natalie, but don't most threads have a bunch of people who have recently graduated and/or are starting med school responding?

Reactions: 19 users
Pusheeen!! Thank you so much! Yeah it hasn't been easy but I'm glad the light is finally at the end of the tunnel on this journey. BTW you think mentioning MCAT in a secondary (i.e. describe a struggle you've had) would be appropriate? Or would an adcom not take it seriously?
Uh, I personally probably wouldn't, just because it's not super original or interesting. That's at least the vibe I've gotten from adcoms here on similar questions. I do feel like it defeats the purpose of the biggest struggle question to think about it like this, but I guess it is what it is....

Reactions: 2 users
I don't mean to be a negative Natalie, but don't most threads have a bunch of people who have recently graduated and/or are starting med school responding?

Why u always gotta troll

Uh, I personally probably wouldn't, just because it's not super original or interesting. That's at least the vibe I've gotten from adcoms here on similar questions. I do feel like it defeats the purpose of the biggest struggle question to think about it like this, but I guess it is what it is....

Yeah it does but I agree and feel the same way about it. I don't think I'll mention it then :)

Last edited:

Agreed. With a jump in score like yours, it's understandable that you worked hard for it. But taking it when you weren't fully prepared (and twice at that) showed poor judgement. It'll look like an excuse if you bring attention to it.

Agreed. With a jump in score like yours, it's understandable that you worked hard for it. But taking it when you weren't fully prepared (and twice at that) showed poor judgement. It'll look like an excuse if you bring attention to it.
Maybe. It's good to hear people's opinions on it though. Yeah I don't think I'll mention it at all. So then @Pusheen .

Last edited:
Maybe. It's good to hear people's opinions on it though. Yeah I don't think I'll mention it at all. So then @Pusheen I'm guessing don't bring up mcat stuff anywhere at all yeah? My only worry is what they'll think of it and I wanted to have a place to explain my mcat situation. Maybe at an interview?
I might add it in the "do you have anything else to say" type boxes, if you had something along the lines of "I took the MCAT in the past and made the mistake of X, so I fixed it by doing Y, hence the multiple scores". Though I feel like plenty of people have multiple scores, I don't think you have to go out of your way to talk about it. I'm just an applicant though, adcoms would know better.

I might add it in the "do you have anything else to say" type boxes, if you had something along the lines of "I took the MCAT in the past and made the mistake of X, so I fixed it by doing Y, hence the multiple scores". Though I feel like plenty of people have multiple scores, I don't think you have to go out of your way to talk about it. I'm just an applicant though, adcoms would know better.
Yeah thats true! Oh I thought you applied last year!

Members don't see this ad :)
this whole thread feels like a not so humble brag from someone with a hefty dose of narcissim

just going by your avatar, handle, and "rules" in bold

I give it -1/10 humblebrag for being just a straight up brag, and for sheer obnoxiousness

Reactions: 22 users
this whole thread feels like a not so humble brag from someone with a hefty dose of narcissim

just going by your avatar, handle, and "rules" in bold

I give it -1/10 humblebrag for being just a straight up brag, and for sheer obnoxiousness

Lol, took the words right out of my mouth, @Crayola227

Reactions: 1 users
Hello Pre-Med nerds!

This is something I've wanted to do for a long time and now that I have some more time (re 6/18 MCAT thread), this was one of the ways I wanted to give back to the SDN community. I'll be making more threads on different stuff but in the meantime, feel free to ask me some questions you might have about college, how to study, what I did, etc. Idk if this will help you guys, but I figured it's worth a shot.

The SDN community has had its ups and downs with me. People here are on extremes but no one is relaxed as much as they should be. I hope that this thread will help you guys not get so worked up over issues that inevitably come up in college. The truth is that despite people that blow stuff out of proportion on here, I love this site and it has given me a lot of help, through the people I've met, friendships I've made (yes), and things I've read (if you know what to read)

Mods: I'm not sure if this was the right place to put this but I was just trying to help!

Also, keep in mind I'm super busy and won't get back to you guys evenly or on time so don't freak.

About me:
Graduated from a large Texas state school summa cum laude
Heavy on leadership in college
Very heavy on research in college
Your standard garden variety of shadowing, volunteering, etc. not as much non-clinical though.
MCAT tested me in ways I can't even begin to describe. I just got my score back from a 6/18/16 test date: 511

*Rules: When asking a question, quote this first post. I'll get to you slowly. Once I respond to your first post, then start the quoting stuff like a standard link. I think it'll be more orderly like that.*

Alright have at it kids!

EDIT: Currently applying to med schools.

Are you excited for the new season of Suits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Reactions: 4 users
I'll bite. What do you think of the RNC?

Just kidding!!!

What do you mean? African or European swallow??

901-Monty-Python-and-the-Holy-Grail-quotes.gif

Alright fine. I really wasn't trying to be anything you guys are suggesting @JustAPhD, @chibaddie, @Gryffindor20, @EspressoDrip42, @Crayola227. I honestly just found the time to relax and wanted to help out on SDN since I've had my fair share of questions in college

But you don't have to believe me so feel free to think whatever you want

Are you aware theres a typo in your username? Its spelled "P-R-E-M-E-D" not "Surgeon".

Reactions: 11 users
Not really sure why this thread is necessary...but Imma go grab my popcorn

....I think the point people are trying make is that you are offering advice when you aren't (yet) a successful pre-med... You haven't succeeded until you are accepted. It comes off as a little arrogant to presume you have valuable insight into something you haven't even accomplished. It would be like me writing a guide for incoming MS1s when I just started med school myself.

But good luck with your apps!

Reactions: 8 users
Dude.....you got a 31 on the MCAT after taking it 3 times.. There a lot of applicants in TX who took it only once or even twice and scored the same or higher than you. I get that TX is great for applicants, but that's going to be a serious mark on your app.

Dude.....you got a 31 on the MCAT after taking it 3 times.. There a lot of applicants in TX who took it only once or even twice and scored the same or higher than you. I get that TX is great for applicants, but that's going to be a serious mark on your app.

Worry about your own application

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

....I think the point people are trying make is that you are offering advice when you aren't (yet) a successful pre-med... You haven't succeeded until you are accepted. It comes off as a little arrogant to presume you have valuable insight into something you haven't even accomplished. It would be like me writing a guide for incoming MS1s when I just started med school myself.

But good luck with your apps!

I get it, but you guys make it like there's no value in anything. Definitely disappointed in you guys who trolled especially when I was looking for advice when I was an undergrad.

Worry about your own application

Considering I'm already a medical student, unlike you, I don't have to. But is that what you're going to tell adcoms when they ask about your 3 scores? You seem extremely confident about your chances of getting an interview. Maybe you should humble yourself and stop acting so cocky. 3 scores, while not the kiss of death, does not look good. Ask any adcom on here.

Considering I'm already a medical student, unlike you, I don't have to. But is that what you're going to tell adcoms when they ask about your 3 scores? You seem extremely confident about your chances of getting an interview. Maybe you should humble yourself and stop acting so cocky. 3 scores, while not the kiss of death, does not look good. Ask any adcom on here.
While his application isn't perfect, he'll probably get a bite in Texas if he applies broadly. And if not, maybe someone elsewhere will bite. Chances aren't fantastic, but they're not bad either.

Definitely disappointed in you guys who trolled especially when I was looking for advice when I was an undergrad.
There's a difference between giving advice to someone when they ask for it and starting your own thread to say, "I have the answers, so ask me questions."

And for the record, you showed gradual improvement on an MCAT after taking it three times. That doesn't show that you've learned more, it show shows you've learned how to take that test. I would not use that because it's a superficial struggle that can be misconstrued as an excuse.

I get it, but you guys make it like there's no value in anything. Definitely disappointed in you guys who trolled especially when I was looking for advice when I was an undergrad.

This thread would be more valuable in the high school forum; you have the wrong target audience here. This forum is filled with people ahead of you or in the same spot on the pathway to becoming an attending. Med students provide valuable advice to pre-meds, residents to med students, fellows/attendings to residents, etc and the fact that they are ahead gives some credence to what they are saying (eg. what if you don't get accepted? Then should people follow your advice?).

Pre-meds can give other pre-meds good advice, but not a whole "come ask me questions because I have a vast insight" thread's worth. (I also don't like the fact that people are criticizing you for your MCAT history, but when you make this kind of thread, you are opening yourself up for critique)

That's not to put down what you've accomplished and you should be proud; I'm trying to explain why you are rubbing people the wrong way

Reactions: 11 users

Aw, dude! :( I seriously wasn't trying to make fun of you with my question about RNC. In fact, I was trying to crack a joke (because let's face it, the RNC has been a little crazy so far, regardless of your political views). Thought it would diffuse things a little, but I guess it was bad judgement on my part. Sorry for that :oops: I do think that this thread would be more useful in the high school forum. There are too many non-trads or upper-classmen on pre-allo to get very much out of it at this time.

Aw, dude! :( I seriously wasn't trying to make fun of you with my question about RNC. In fact, I was trying to crack a joke (because let's face it, the RNC has been a little crazy so far, regardless of your political views). Thought it would diffuse things a little, but I guess it was bad judgement on my part. Sorry for that :oops: I do think that this thread would be more useful in the high school forum. There are too many non-trads or upper-classmen on pre-allo to get very much out of it at this time.

RNC has been a wild circus...literally.

Suddenly understand why their symbol is an elephant.

Right?! And with a reality TV star as the nominee, you already know they plan to overdo everything... (i.e., having a duck hunter and the CEO of the UFC give a keynote speech...)

Right?! And with a reality TV star as the nominee, you already know they plan to overdo everything... (i.e., having a duck hunter and the CEO of the UFC give a keynote speech...)
It's hysterical! This entire election has been quite the kerfuffle.

Entitled premeds tryna tell Harvey Specter what he can and cannot post about smh

Status
Not open for further replies.