Just how important are extracurriculars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oracle2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for this somewhat rambling post. So I know all pre-meds need at least some clinical experience. I'm very curious about how much research, etc. is necessary. Looking at MD Applicants, which is freaking me out,, everyone has multiple publications, worked as an EMT, AND started a clinic in Ghana, etc.

I guess what I observed from people I knew/anecdotes about the admissions process I've heard, is that a number of people seem to somewhat suddenly decide to be docs after a few years in corporate America, do a year of post-bac and a year later are enrolled at schools ranked across the board - even UCSF, JHU. How in the world do you have time to fit in all the necessary activities during that year before application? I guess the whole thing just makes very little sense to me. I have another friend who didn't decide to be premed until junior year, finished up all the requs in the last part of college and got acceptances without doing much in terms of health care activities.

About me: I graduated from a top 10 university several years ago. I was pre-med there, and took all the requisite classes and did clinical and volunteer work, but my major and research was done in economics. Wet lab and animal research was always extremely unappealing to me, and the public health research project I started to volunteer on one year was suddenly dropped after a few weeks (the docs just abandoned it). My undergrad wasn't exactly known for its research prowess and I found it really hard to hop on a project as an upperclassman (and admittedly wasn't totally sure of what I wanted to do with my life at that point). I spent a few years exploring the corporate world, but now want to enter med school in my late 20s. My pre-health advisors are telling me that i need a lot more health experience before I apply. Is there anyone out there like me? Based on what I've heard, it seems like people get in without years of research and clinical work, but my school seems to be telling me otherwise. I don't want to quit my non-healthcare related job for a research job (which I don't even think I can get without experience) but am volunteering and shadowing on the side. Is this enough?

I don't really care about going to a research heavy school. I'd like to go to one of my state schools (NYS) if possible, and am open to osteopathic programs as well. My primary interests are general pediatrics, psychiatry and child psychiatry.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depends on what you're aiming for. Having impressive ECs is almost a requirement for top med schools, but really not necessary for most state schools. If you're happy with attending a SUNY for med school you should be fine doing clinical volunteering and shadowing (non clinical community service is also helpful). Other than that just get good grades and a great MCAT score.

Depends on what you're aiming for. Having impressive ECs is almost a requirement for top med schools, but really not necessary for most state schools. If you're happy with attending a SUNY for med school you should be fine doing clinical volunteering and shadowing (non clinical community service is also helpful). Other than that just get good grades and a great MCAT score.

Thanks. I always assumed research was a pre-requisite for medical school admissions, and am glad to hear that may not be the case. I have tried to apply for many clinical research coordinator type positions, but never receive a reply. I'm in the NYC area so I'm guessing the competition for those positions is stiff, especially since I'm not a recent graduate anymore.

Sorry for this somewhat rambling post. So I know all pre-meds need at least some clinical experience. I'm very curious about how much research, etc. is necessary.
Don't let SDN scare you. You don't need a Nobel Prize to get accepted to med school. Just shown us you can handle medical school, and display your altruism.

Looking at MD Applicants, which is freaking me out,, everyone has multiple publications, worked as an EMT, AND started a clinic in Ghana, etc.

About me: I I don't want to quit my non-healthcare related job for a research job (which I don't even think I can get without experience) but am volunteering and shadowing on the side. Is this enough?