just matched...been out of school for a couple of year now, seeking advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cooldoc23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be starting FM at a rural, unopposed program, and was just wondering what I should brush up on, or if there was a book I should read as I've been out of med school for a couple of years now.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Ferri's Practical Guide to the Medical Patient covers everything: how to write orders, ddx, rx, lab values, procedures etc.
2. If you can find it: The Effective Scutboy. Written by two JHU grads for 3rd/4th year med students and transitional year interns, Scutboy is based loosely on Tumulty's classic The Effective Clinician. Scutboy covers some basic procedures, how to write transfer orders, pre-op notes, off service notes etc
3. The House of God fictional account of an intern's life at Man's Best Hospital

Members don't see this ad :)
how to do an H&P EKG's the rest will come

The Intern survival guide

Agreed. It may be a steep curve, but if you remember the basics from school, you'll be fine. You learn a lot more than you think, AND you'll also remember a lot more than you expect once you start.

1. Ferri's Practical Guide to the Medical Patient covers everything: how to write orders, ddx, rx, lab values, procedures etc.
2. If you can find it: The Effective Scutboy. Written by two JHU grads for 3rd/4th year med students and transitional year interns, Scutboy is based loosely on Tumulty's classic The Effective Clinician. Scutboy covers some basic procedures, how to write transfer orders, pre-op notes, off service notes etc
3. The House of God fictional account of an intern's life at Man's Best Hospital

LOVE Ferri. Cannot go wrong with that one.

Why did you wait so late to start residency? Didn't match?

I am thinking about getting the Ferri book to read before I start residency in 2015 and wanted to know if it helped whoever used it?

I am thinking about getting the Ferri book to read before I start residency in 2015 and wanted to know if it helped whoever used it?
I love Ferri because it gives you all the things you need to order (especially labs), just about for any given Internal Medicine type hospital case. It's easy to use.

What edition of the FERRI book should one get? Older edition vs the newest one?