Just out of curiosity, how many secondaries are you hoping to fill out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vantheman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious how many secondaries everyone is hoping to finish.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've submitted 14. I'm waiting on 11 more programs, four of which don't screen, seven that do. Sooo I'm expecting a total of...20?

I've written essays for 22 schools so far, submitted 18. Waiting on the last few that screen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted 15
Working on 1
Waiting on 3
Decided to not continue with 1

Applied: 30
Completed: 10
In progress: 13
Wont return: 4
Waiting on: 3

Last edited:
Have completed 25/32 (10 are big reaches so that's why the high number).

cant rly remember but i applied to 30 something, ended up noot doing a bunch / a few didnt send me 2ndary, ended up doing like 22 secondaries

13 total -- so expensive!

Applied: 20
Completed: 14
In-Progress: 4
Not Received: 2 (1 of which I was likely screened from)

Applied: 25
Completed: 19
In-Progress: 2
Not Received: 3
Waiting for in-state submission date: 1

Last edited:
Applied 29, submitted 16. Waiting on the rest. Just as a random aside, does anyone know how many secondaries a school receives compared to the amount of primaries it receives? Surely not everyone that applies ends up submitting a secondary right?

Applied 29, submitted 16. Waiting on the rest. Just as a random aside, does anyone know how many secondaries a school receives compared to the amount of primaries it receives? Surely not everyone that applies ends up submitting a secondary right?
I think it varies largely by school. For instance, Duke, with a secondary to end all secondaries, has less than half of applicants who submit a primary end up finishing the secondary, I believe.

Members don't see this ad :)

Doubt someone can beat me haha

Reactions: 1 user
23 Primaries Submitted
18 Secondaries Submitted
3 Secondaries "In Progress"
1 Secondary Not Received (TUSOM)
1 Withdraw (NYMC- like I'm gonna pay $145 for the fee AND CASPR!)
1 II received (so far)

Thousands. No, tens of thousands.
army.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
23 Primaries Submitted
18 Secondaries Submitted
3 Secondaries "In Progress"
1 Secondary Not Received (TUSOM)
1 Withdraw (NYMC- like I'm gonna pay $145 for the fee AND CASPR!)
1 II received (so far)

but caspr is only like 10 bucks

but caspr is only like 10 bucks
I thought it was $125 for the fee and $20 for the assessment. I guess I was mistaken. Regardless. It's the school I was least excited about anyway, and it would end up being the most expensive, and 22 seems like a good number.

I should have asked if there are any other CA residents applying in this thread. I am now curious how our amount of secondaries compares to other people. I have 27 completed and I am anticipating completing about 15 more.

@vantheman I'm a CA resident too. Ive submitted 16/29. Holy crap how or why would you ever submit 42 secondaries, lol thats ridiculous.

If I had the money, I'd probably game it a little bit and add more schools to my primary. Particularly, ones that have secondary prompts that I already wrote for another school. :p

Reactions: 1 users
25 completed
2 in progress
2 don't have secondaries
9 secondaries not (yet) received [7 of these screen so I have probably been screened out of some]
1 withdrawn

I'm a reapplicant with a low UG GPA so I'm applying to a lot.

I'm hoping to have the lowest score here :D

So besides those applying early decision, who can beat 5 schools applied to and 5 secondaries submitted?

@vantheman I'm a CA resident too. Ive submitted 16/29. Holy crap how or why would you ever submit 42 secondaries, lol thats ridiculous.

Yeah I am not sure how effective my strategy really is. I have just heard too many stories about people not getting in their first try and wishing they applied to more schools. I put everything I got into my app and I am not sure what else I could do to improve (besides retaking the MCAT and getting 90th+ percentile). So I am hoping it takes me one try.

26 primaries.
20 secondaries sent (out of 24 that have them).
2 in progress
2 not received (yet)

I am fortunate to have received 3 IIs already so I am starting to lose motivation!

Reactions: 2 users
It's honestly not that bad. After about 10 to 15 secondaries it becomes a copy and paste game

Applied: 29
Secondaries received: 28
Submitted: 19
Probably won't finish: 2
7 more to go!
Hopefully I can finish by the end of July.

Ca resident
Applied: 26
Received: 22
Submitted: 10
12 more to go that I have, and waiting on a few screened secondaries. I have written most of the remaining, just editing and slowly submitting.

Applied 14, will be filling out 14

All y'all with >20 secondaries is crazy. Don't die, people. Know when to withdraw!

I've applied to 15 MD and 6 DO schools. My DO app is still being verified (my committee letter was just uploaded) so I haven't received any secondaries yet and I've submitted 11/15 MD secondaries. I'm working on my 12th and I'm waiting on the secondary from the other 3.

I'm hoping to get some love from my instate schools!

Applied to 20 MD schools. I have completed 17 so far and waiting for my last three to come in.

Applied to 28 schools.
Received 25 secondaries (missing 1 that screen, 2 that don't)
Submitted 21
Withdraw 1 (realized they require calculus)

Submitted 30 primaries (kept changing my list, especially since i scored better on my MCAT than i originally anticipated)
Have submitted 10 secondaries
Will submit 8 more.
Still waiting on 3 secondaries (my mcat scores released on the 21st)

31 primaries, intentionally added a few that had short/no secondaries.
Why is anyone not returning all the secondaries they receive? Besides cost....

I applied to my first list of 20 or so schools before i had my mcat scores, so i wasn't sure at what schools i'd be competitive. I've since added some schools that i'm competitive at but, after thinking about it, really don't want to live in that area, and thus won't apply to those as well. Moral of the story of me is, that because i didn't yet have my mcat scores, i should have only put one school on my initial application when i submitted for verification instead of my list of 20 schools.

31 primaries, intentionally added a few that had short/no secondaries.

For two of them I realized I had virtually no chance with my stats and being OOS.

One of them, I decided that I wasn't going to take calculus just to meet requirements for that single school.

and NYMC. **** NYMC and their decision to use that worthless exam (see NYMC specific thread).

CA resident, average national matriculant stats

Applied: 27
Received: 15 (was verified last week 7/16)
Submitted: 2

Already considering not submitting a few. I don't remember why I applied to Boston U but it's starting to feel like too much of a reach to justify spending 100+ on a long-shot. (Although I am gladly paying the fees for my reaches in CA)

Applied: 23
Received: 23
Submitted: 18
In progress: 3
Not submitting: 2

Applied: 19
Submitted: 18 (thank god for prewriting)
Still waiting on 1 and/or was screened out.

I applied to about 30 schools, submitted secondaries for all the ones I received. Waiting for 5. Withdrawing from 3.

Thread title is humorous. Who "hopes" to complete secondaries? Their completion is entirely within your own control and planning.

Applied to 29 schools, and will be filling out a minimum of 27 (more if UCLA and UCSF send me their secondaries).

Thread title is humorous. Who "hopes" to complete secondaries? Their completion is entirely within your own control and planning.
Not if you get screened out ;)

Reactions: 1 users

I actually "hope" to complete secondaries... And their completion is not entirely within my control and planning. My bank account is not endless and sometimes unexpected things come up in life ( i.e. car breaks down) and you cannot afford to submit all the secondaries you had HOPED to complete. Glad you're in a position in life where everything is in your control though :bow:

applied 39. 29 secondaries down, 2 in progress. waiting on the rest. considering adding 6 more and going all out haha.

15, hopefully that will be enough...