Just out of curiosity...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdh02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to do multiple pharmacy internships in a given year? I'm entering as P1 this month and currently on my second week of hospital intern job training, so far so good and I never had Rx exp before so It's really fun and good learning experience for me. My ultimate goal is to pursue in a residency, but I want to make sure to put myself into retail route too, just in case I do not make it. Plus, I don't think this hospital is capable of giving me full time hours during Summer (it's a small community hospital and they have some funding problem..). I never had retail pharmacy experience but I was wondering whether I can apply during Summer and work as both retail and hospital intern at the same time. I don't know how many hours is mandatory for retail intern, but my current hospital only require me to do 16hr/month minimum, so I think I would be able to handle that. Any insightful comment or advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I've known people to hold down retail and hospital jobs during school. Especially during summer. From my experience, there is no min number of hours per week or anything for retail. You might have to work at least 1 shift/month during the school year to stay on payroll though.

Reactions: 1 user
When I did both I was required to do 10 hours a week retail, 16hrs every other weekend hospital. It sucked at times, but I made good money and learned to balance my time and workload.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did both. Did 16-20 hrs/wk by working alternating weekends, one weekend in the ED satellite pharmacy of a 1000 bed hospital and the next at a Walgreens in a shady part of the city. Kept a 3.8 GPA while at it, and can use both places to picked up more than full time during summer. Wasn't easy during school but its doable as long as you are self disciplined and willing to sacrifice free time. For those sacrifices you come out looking awesome vs other new grads when looking for a job or applying for residency. Besides, the money you made and scholarship earned also means a smaller student loans at the end.

I did both. Did 16-20 hrs/wk by working alternating weekends, one weekend in the ED satellite pharmacy of a 1000 bed hospital and the next at a Walgreens in a shady part of the city. Kept a 3.8 GPA while at it, and can use both places to picked up more than full time during summer. Wasn't easy during school but its doable as long as you are self disciplined and willing to sacrifice free time. For those sacrifices you come out looking awesome vs other new grads when looking for a job or applying for residency. Besides, the money you made and scholarship earned also means a smaller student loans at the end.
Thank you for sharing your experience! If I don't have a prior retail experience, what's the best way to apply for retail internship? I will keep working in this hospital next Summer and will likely to search for retail job before P1 year ends.

Thank you for sharing your experience! If I don't have a prior retail experience, what's the best way to apply for retail internship? I will keep working in this hospital next Summer and will likely to search for retail job before P1 year ends.

Drop into your local pharmacies and ask the manager if they are interested in hiring an intern.