just passed Maryland MPJE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rejuv21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took the MD MPJE 3/16, got my results 3/21. Passed with a 90.
I studied using Reiss Guide to Federal Pharmacy and the MPHA pharmacy law book. I also bought the pharmacyexams.com 150 Maryland practice questions along with 300 federal questions.
I read Federal twice and MPHA book twice. I read the entire MPHA book not just the first 109 pages. the pages after 109 are the actual laws and get into more detail.
I then did the federal questions in Reiss and the other ones I bought. I got about 85% correct overall, overall about 20% of the Reiss questions were repetitive, contradicted each other, not up to date, wrong, or asked about topics not covered at all. the book was a good read, questions caused more confusion. But do them anyway. Federal questions I bought were better, the first set was pretty easy, but the second set had more nuanced questions which ended up helping on the boards. about 10 questions had a federal component.
I then did the 150 Maryland pharmacyexam questions helped but the explanation and actual citing of teh law were more helpful.
pharmcyexam also had a few errors and repeated questions but less than Reiss. I went over the MD questions and answers 3 times, and that helped the most.

on the MPJE: out of the 90 questions 5-10 had a federal component. about 30 were straightforward, facts/definitions. 30-40 I narrowed down to two correct answers and had to chose the better. 5-10 or so had a Federal component.
for example: technician takes a new prescription while you are out of the pharmacy on your lunch break. you had to choose between technician getting in trouble with BOP, pharmacist getting in trouble with BOP, technician and pharmacist get in trouble with BOP but RPh must call the MD back to get the RX, or "technician should not be in the pharmacy". this was a fairly easy one, others were harder.
there were 10-15 that I narrowed down to more than two choice and had to guess. there were 5-10 that I guessed, I couldn't excluded any of the questions.
read the MDBOP update on electronic prescriptions, ratio of tech to RPH, ratio of RPH to intern, commonly dispensed controls specially the newer ones, brand and generic. know control dispending rules, including updating and getting info from MDMP, rules on drug drop off. for these simply reading the first 109 pages of MPHA book is not enough.
I felt the same as everyone that takes the test, doom and gloom because of the number of guesses I had to make.
go with your gut feeling if you don't know the answer.
I will be posting my study materials in the classifieds, and will check back to see if there are any questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
For the DC MPJE, i used the materials sent by the Board, pronto pass and pharmacyexam.com questions and for the federal, pharmacyexam.com questions and law notes from school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
Thanks for your posting !! it helps alot.
One Quick question... for MPhA law book...was it for 'Pharmacist' or 'intern pharmacist'?
I am trying to get it from MPhA website, there are two different books.
I am not sure which one would be more efficient to study for MD MPJE.

Thanks !

I used the book from MPhA that was $35, so the intern pharmacist book I guess. The other one was not available at the time when I ordered it. Just found out that I passed my MD MPJE :) Took the exam 4/7 and got the results 4/12. Pretty fast.

What I used for studying: MPhA book, pronto pass, the MD Pharmacy law book that they sent over (looked over certain parts for detail), Pharmacyexam.com questions and I went over the DEA handbook for Pharmacists.

I devoted about a few weeks for the exam, a few hours each night. Knocked out the reading part first with MPhA book and then went over it the second time and took notes. Took notes on the other reading material (DEA handbook, etc). Then I took the quizzes to practice and went over my notes again.

From what I remember about the exam, know what a pharmacists duty is, pharmacy technician duty, prescribing, administrating, PA delegation, there was a question about counseling and returning drug/devices. There was a few regarding adulteration and misbranding.

Hope that helps anyone. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I used the book from MPhA that was $35, so the intern pharmacist book I guess. The other one was not available at the time when I ordered it. Just found out that I passed my MD MPJE :) Took the exam 4/7 and got the results 4/12. Pretty fast.

What I used for studying: MPhA book, pronto pass, the MD Pharmacy law book that they sent over (looked over certain parts for detail), Pharmacyexam.com questions and I went over the DEA handbook for Pharmacists.

I devoted about a few weeks for the exam, a few hours each night. Knocked out the reading part first with MPhA book and then went over it the second time and took notes. Took notes on the other reading material (DEA handbook, etc). Then I took the quizzes to practice and went over my notes again.

From what I remember about the exam, know what a pharmacists duty is, pharmacy technician duty, prescribing, administrating, PA delegation, there was a question about counseling and returning drug/devices. There was a few regarding adulteration and misbranding.

Hope that helps anyone. Good luck!

Do you still have any of your study material? And do would you recommend using prontopass? Ive heard it wasnt very helpful for MPJE. And did you have many questions regarding compounding on your exam?

Thanks