Just put in resignation, seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnEastwardLook

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First post (obviously), but a longtime lurker, and appreciative of the community here.

A summary of my current situation (more details provided upon request): I just submitted a 90-day notice at my position with an FQHC that I have worked with full-time for the last 4 years. Coincidentally, I was called a few days before putting in my notice by the director of family medicine at the medical school in town with an offer for 4 different positions:

Two offers were as residency faculty, at two different hospital-based programs, respectively--at one of which I did my residency. The third was as central faculty at the medical school, and the fourth was in a faculty development fellowship program that would also allow me to get an MPH at no cost.

What I would like advice on is that I recently found out I'm pregnant, and am due at the end of March. Two issues that immediately come up are that I won't be at a new job long enough to qualify for FMLA. Second, is that after I have this baby, I will want to take on fewer hours (from full time now, to 0.8 or 0.6 FTE), which may not go over well with a new employment.

So what are your thoughts? I'm open to and considering working locums, and I see that this may be the best option at this point. The director of one of the residency program positions did indicate that I could go to 0.6FTE at the some point and still receive full benefits, which was awesome. He doesn't know I'm pregnant (I'm still so early in the pregnancy that no one except my husband knows), but I was encouraged to hear him say that.

Just to be clear, I submitted my notice with my current employer for reasons that were essential. The administration has been taking the clinic in an unethical direction for some time now, and they had been heaping unreasonable work burdens upon me and the other providers, with no accommodations to effectively balance all the of the responsibilities, and no added compensation (and had even started decreasing salaries, even as they continued to expand and acquire new clinic sites, while hiring numerous non-clinical managers to oversee all of us).

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks, everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you want to do locums PM me and I will put you in touch with both of my awesome ladies who place me all the time. I am assuming that you have health insurance through your husband? That would be your only issue at this point. You may want to consider one of the many offers you are getting just for the stability to be home and not have to travel with a newborn - that would be hard. You can always negotiate contracts but I agree not working FT with a new employer may be frowned upon.

Thanks for the reply @cabinbuilder. My husband is a grad student, and I'm not positive how insurance would work through his school for our family. Currently we are using my employer for insurance, which I will lose once my notice is up.

I was thinking about doing locums until having my baby--earning enough to live on through an unofficial maternity leave, then seeing if one of the positions is still available at that point, and requesting 0.8 or 0.6 FTE.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I imagine I will have to get occurrence malpractice insurance for locums. So it will be a big investment up front for health insurance and malpractice.

NO NO NO the locums company covers malpractice.

Is that common all over the country? A few friends of mine go through a company called Docs Who Care and each physician is responsible for his or her own malpractice.

Is that common all over the country? A few friends of mine go through a company called Docs Who Care and each physician is responsible for his or her own malpractice.
Then they are not working with the right company. I have done locums for 5 years and have never carried my own malpractice.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else have advice? I'm trying my best to make an informed decision.

You surely do not need to explain why you are leaving your last position. I would steer you more in the direction of joining a small private practice instead of a employment as a faculty. You might end up with alot of freedom with the right private group, with ease of taking maturity leave and working part time. I have seen this exact situation play out several times very successfully in private land. You are seeking out a rather mature group of primary doctors that desires a half a person with the plan to slowly ramp up to full time over a few years.

I looked at that docswhocare.com website. That company does make you supply EVERYTHING including travel. Really? The only thing they provide is housing. Also they are saying their assignments are only 2-3 days a week. Doesn't sound like a real locums company - something a step down. It is a small company founded by one doctor. To cut costs the physician has to provide their own malpractice. On the flip side they provide coverage of rural hospitals (IP +ER+ clinic) for one week at a time per provider. So basically you are on call 24/7 for 7 days straight then you are off for 3 weeks.

Delta locums
Comphealth
OnyxMd
MartinFletcher
Locumtenens.com
TopDocs
There are many many others

All of these provide travel, rental car, housing, malpractice. May times they will work on a state license for the right candidate. You get your hourly wage. You set the length of assignment you are willing to give.

Please do your research before signing with anyone. You should not have to pay out any money (besides your license, CME, BLS, etc) to do locums and definitely NOT malpractice or travel expenses.

Last edited:
I personally would have tried to stick it out until you have the baby. Being without health insurance at this time is very risky especially if you have any type of birth complications. My total bill for having my daughter 15 years ago was $500,000 before insurance paid most of it. Stay with your job, go on maternity leave through FMLA and then stay home and strategize your exit plan.

Last edited:
My husband is a grad student, and the health insurance his school offers is not stellar, but definitely adequate. I'd definitely have him look into it.

I personally would have tried to stick it out until you have the baby. Being without health insurance at this time is very risky especially if you have any type of birth complications. My total bill for having my daughter 15 years ago was $500,000 before insurance paid most of it. Stay with your job, go on maternity leave through FMLA and then stay home an stratagize your exit plan.

@cabinbuilder I am thankful for your feedback and help! This is an interesting suggestion that I will have to ponder for sure. In some ways, I wonder if the stress of this job could complicate things in my pregnancy (and I don't mean to sound dramatic, but it is pretty bad). I am seriously going to consider your advice here, because it is compelling.

Why don't you just 'fess up to all of the potential employers (if you'd actually want to work for them) and see if anyone bites? Nothing to lose, really, because if they don't bite, you wouldn't want to work for them anyhow. If not, I'd look for urgent care or ED work in your neighborhood. Then you could work as little or as much as you want without moving. Maybe even with benefits (disability would be a good thing to have what with the pregnancy -look into getting this through AMA or similar), certainly w/ malpractice. And you'd then have something lined up to do postpartum. Make sure you have health insurance coverage which would take on a good chunk of out-of-network expenses if you do locums. You wouldn't want to get stuck with a giant bill because you have to pay 20% of the $200k hospitalization when you go into preterm labor.....