Just Recieved my MCAT: 41, GPA: 3.8, sGPA: 3.75, now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marleywh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am a senior, and it looks like I only need 3-4 more GE classes to graduate, so I am pretty close to finishing (1-2) quarters after this one.
As the title suggests, I have just received my MCAT score: 13/13/15
I am really happy with this, it seems like it may open up more possibilities for me than I had previously considered, or made some reach schools seem like more likely options. My GPA isn't stellar, mostly due to my freshman year where I got A's and B's (all calculus classes are B's). I have only gotten 3 B's since then (1 each year (B and B+) and 1 in the summer (B+)), as well as a small amount of A-'s.

I really need to go do some shadowing/work in the hospital, and I am planning on trying to find a doctor that I could do some research under over the course of this year, hopefully full time if I can graduate early.

I don't have many options for letters of rec, I have not really befriended any professors or PIs and most of my current positions involve working with undergrads and med students so not much chance of getting letters from there. I am really going to focus on my ECs during this coming year and the next summer, not sure when I should apply, this cycle or next. What schools should I be aiming for? I am really hoping to be able to stay at UC Davis, and another top choice would be UCLA (both of my parents attended med school there as well.) Do you think I am a decent applicant for top tier schools despite my lack of numerous ECs? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Retake your MCAT or you're looking at DO.

In all seriousness, you won't get much love even with that score without significant patient contact or good letters. Increase your volunteer commitment, do some shadowing, and start going to office hours, even if you don't have questions (or reach out to profs from whom you took 2+ classes). I know a guy who got a 4.0/4.0 and 15/12/14 who was rejected everywhere because of his ECs (and bombing his interviews, but that's another story). He took a year to strengthen up his non-academic aspects of his app and is currently in med school.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks man, I know I gotta put myself out there more, that's why I am unsure if I should take a year off before I apply, and do some serious time commitments during that year, or if it is possible to round-out my application within the next 10 months or so. I just feel like I am starting the race 2 years late here, I didn't really think about anything other than getting my GPA up for a long time so I feel behind in my ECs and clinical experience...

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like this is basically equivalent to hundreds of hours of shadowing but I don't even know if it would be appropriate to include this because it is my own parents that I was shadowing? Anyone have some input on this?

Last edited:
Also, I didn't mention this because I don't know if it is valid to include in my experiences or not but I spent most of my life in clinics or hospitals following my parents around. Over the last 10 years my dad has consistently had me follow him around as he goes through his cases and I have a lot of time actually going into the surgical suite with him and watching him work. He would always go over the scans of each case with me etc, I feel like this is basically equivalent to hundreds of hours of shadowing but I don't even know if it would be appropriate to include this because it is my own parents that I was shadowing? Anyone have some input on this?

Any experiences you have had specifically because one/both of your parents is a physician do not count for much.

Don't list it. Also, be aware that children of physicians are held to higher standards, especially when it comes to ECs, because of those benefits. It's easy to rack up shadowing hours with lots of specialties if you have a physician parent making the call; plenty of applicants with physician parents will have 10+ hours shadowing each with a dozen + MDs.

Nope. Numbers get you to the door, but ECs get you through the door. I see tons of hyperacheivers like you who post here about how they got rejected because they lacked the ECs.

You need to show us that you know what you're getting into, that you really want to be around sick people for the next 30-40 years, and that you know what a doctor's day is like.

Do you think I am a decent applicant for top tier schools despite my lack of numerous ECs? Thanks!

Nope. Numbers get you to the door, but ECs get you through the door. I see tons of hyperacheivers like you who post here about how they got rejected because they lacked the ECs.

You need to show us that you know what you're getting into, that you really want to be around sick people for the next 30-40 years, and that you know what a doctor's day is like.

Do you think I am a decent applicant for top tier schools despite my lack of numerous ECs? Thanks!

Yup that's what I think too. Do you think it would be prudent to take a full year off after graduation to do some serious time commitments working in a hospital and doing research under a doc? Or could I get enough time during this year? I don't want an application that looks like I tried to cram a bunch of checklist items in at the last minute to qualify, I really do enjoy the work I have been doing in the clinics so far.

PS. Do I really come off as a hyperachiever? I feel like the opposite.

I strongly recommend applying with the best possible app, even if it means waiting a year.

Yup that's what I think too. Do you think it would be prudent to take a full year off after graduation to do some serious time commitments working in a hospital and doing research under a doc? Or could I get enough time during this year? I don't want an application that looks like I tried to cram a bunch of checklist items in at the last minute to qualify, I really do enjoy the work I have been doing in the clinics so far.

PS. Do I really come off as a hyperachiever? I feel like the opposite.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you'd be much better off applying next year. MCAT is excellent and grades are fine. But poor EC, little research, weak recommendations and no clinical is a serious problem. If you could start addressing these issues this year and then build on them next year, you could be a great applicant.

Unless you can manage to scrape up some letters of recommendation real quick then it seems like you have to apply next year anyways. But if you can get the letters then I would definitely apply to a few schools that have late secondary application dates. Do some volunteering now so you have something to talk about in your interviews. Everyone on here likes to give an example of someone with similar credentials and how they didn't get in. I'll do the reverse...I know someone with around 3.6-3.7 gpa range and a 30 mcat with hardly any ECs who got accepted to 3 MD schools. ECs are definitely helpful because you have more to talk about in your interviews and applications but you'd be just fine if you can still come across personable and passionate...do some volunteering now though to help you out. If you think shadowing you parents influenced your decision to become a doctor and that's the best thing you have to talk about it, then roll with it.

Unless you can manage to scrape up some letters of recommendation real quick then it seems like you have to apply next year anyways. But if you can get the letters then I would definitely apply to a few schools that have late secondary application dates. Do some volunteering now so you have something to talk about in your interviews. Everyone on here likes to give an example of someone with similar credentials and how they didn't get in. I'll do the reverse...I know someone with around 3.6-3.7 gpa range and a 30 mcat with hardly any ECs who got accepted to 3 MD schools. ECs are definitely helpful because you have more to talk about in your interviews and applications but you'd be just fine if you can still come across personable and passionate...do some volunteering now though to help you out. If you think shadowing you parents influenced your decision to become a doctor and that's the best thing you have to talk about it, then roll with it.

Thanks man, that makes me feel better. Also I spoke to an adviser today and it looks like I will be graduating a quarter early, so I will have a lot of time to shadow and join a research team. I thought I was looking at another full year of classes, but now I think I will have time to really flesh out my ECs.

Thanks man, that makes me feel better. Also I spoke to an adviser today and it looks like I will be graduating a quarter early, so I will have a lot of time to shadow and join a research team. I thought I was looking at another full year of classes, but now I think I will have time to really flesh out my ECs.
Yeah that's good. I would suggest looking up if there is a "Volunteers in Medicine" around your area. If you haven't heard of them...it's just a free clinic that serves vulnerable populations...they're like everywhere. I find talking about reducing health care disparities is always a good thing....especially if your interested in schools in urban areas. I find things like that are much better than just shadowing physicians...although you should do both. Good luck....get them ECs up and top 10 medical schools here you come.