Just stats-wise, what should my school list look like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeastfromthEast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.99 GPA and a 33 MCAT (11,8,14). The thing is, my MCAT is imbalanced. Given I have decent ECs, what should my school list look like? The 8 I feel complicates things.

I am an AL resident, so luckily I have UAB and USA to apply to . I want to apply to upper tiers (interested in academia), but not sure how far up would be a total reach I know that Duke, Vandy, etc. are reaches for me, but when do I leave the "total reach" zone? And what would be a decent shot? I plan on applying to a few reaches because who knows, I may be pleasantly surprised :p

My list so far:

Duke
Vandy
Cornell
Baylor
Mt. Sinai
NW
Boston
Emory
NYU
Dartmouth
Einstein
Georgetown
UAB
USA
Now, the problem I have is I don't know what "safety schools" to apply to. I plan on applying to UAB and University of South alabama (safety). But not sure what other safeties and mid tiers to apply to. Thanks for reading and forgive my ignorance.

Members don't see this ad.

"Decent ECs" isn't really descriptive enough to offer good advice, especially for top tier applications.

"Decent ECs" isn't really descriptive enough to offer good advice, especially for top tier applications.
Hmmm I was afraid of that, but I'm not totally comfortable saying my ECs online, I hope you understand. But surely we can narrow down/categorize choices stats wise?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm I was afraid of that, but I'm not totally comfortable saying my ECs online, I hope you understand. But surely we can narrow down/categorize choices stats wise?

Being vague and just describing what category they fit under and a ballpark of hours would be helpful (e.g. leadership - 100 hrs, shadowing - 50 hrs, volunteering nonclinical - 200 hrs, etc.). :)

Your list is top heavy which is ok. But with your score, you should apply to just as many mid and low tier schools. Your stats allow you to apply everywhere but you will still get into top schools onlllyy with a verryyy compelling qualitative reason.

hmm so where do we draw teh line at "top" then "mid." am i still a long shot for say emory and nyu for example

hmm so where do we draw teh line at "top" then "mid." am i still a long shot for say emory and nyu for example

Lol. You could have no shot or you could have a great shot. We can't say because you won't tell us any info about your ECs.

Lol. You could have no shot or you could have a great shot. We can't say because you won't tell us any info about your ECs.

Yea it is impossible to help you knowning nothing. But statswise almost all of those schools are teaches for you... even if your GPA is above average a super high GPA is not as good as a super high mcat.

Wow! Stellar numbers. Yeah, there are schools out there that will sneer at you because of the PS score, but your GPA has to count for something. Best thing to do is call the Admissions offices and see if you're compettive.

Suggest:
Wake Forest
Duke
Vandy
Baylor
Mt. Sinai
NW
Boston
Emory
NYU
Dartmouth
Einstein
Georgetown
UAB
Drexel
George Washington
Temple
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
Loyola
Creighton
Any of the newest MD programs

Wanna real safety school? Any DO school! And there's one in your home state.