Just to confirm - applying for Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDhi5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
just to confirm - if I don't have any volunteer activity or LORs from Psychiatry, it's probably not a good idea to apply to the specialty right?

the thing is, i decided closer to apps being due that i can see myself in the specialty. but i realized my application would show a clear lack on interest because i don't have an LOR or any other activity attached to it.

thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it'll look like you're using psychiatry as a backup. No selection committee wants to see that, no matter how good your stats are. On the other hand, if you have at least one LOR for psychiatry, you could apply with a personal statement also crafted for psychiatry.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have any psych related activities (if I had known earlier that I was interested in psych, I would have), but do have at least one psych LOR.

I think the psych LOR is really the more critical thing. Lots of applicants don't have psych related activities, and programs get that people change their minds about specialties near the end of their medical school experience. But yes, not having a psych LOR would probably raise some flags. If you feel like you're really interested, though, why not apply and work on getting a letter now?

check program websites, many of them specify if they need a psych LOR but a lot also just say need 3 letters. if you show your interest in your PS then some programs may be ok with no psych LOR (i knew someone in a similar situation)