Just took MCAT..should i schedule for January before getting score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoyas9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So i just took the MCAT and feel in the middle about it. Could go either way. I won't receive my score until November but I'm debating whether or not to schedule another test. I really don't want to take the new test so if i had to retake, i would like to do it before the new test comes out. My last chance would be to take it December or January. I wasn't sure if it's smart to sign up before even getting your score? I know it's going to be competitive in terms of getting a spot since a lot of people are trying to do this too. Anyone have any advice? i'm looking at it like if i do like my score i could get a partial refund vs not liking my score and then not getting a spot and being forced to take the new test. thoughts?

Sorry if something similar was posted somewhere else..tried looking and couldn't find much. any help would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Sign up just to be safe. A bunch of January seats just opened up so go check them before they get taken. A lot of people sign up just in case. The dilemma is - do you study during the month that you're waiting for a score? That's a question I'm wondering myself. If you sign up for a January date and don't study during November until your score is released, then you still have 1 month to buckle down and study hard. I think that's what I would do in your situation.

Yes, you should sign up if you think you have the slightest chance of retaking. Now if you are sure you got like a score that is too high to retake (e.g., 35+) then maybe not.

Like they said, definitely get a spot just in case. Keep checking everyday throughout the day and sign up for twitter alerts from the AAMC MCAT account. That's how I found out they released some seats yesterday and I managed to get one for January 15th. Yeah it will suck to lose money if you don't need the seat, but it will suck even more to need a retake and not be able to get a seat for the current version of the exam. Well worth the money in my opinion.

I personally recommend studying while you wait for your score. Definitely take like a week or so off but don't waste the entire month. At least flip through some flashcards or just do 1 passage a day between now and score release day. Doesn't have to be anything super intense but it won't hurt to keep the info fresh in your mind. I took the MCAT late this summer and had a very, very strong feeling I was going to have to retake. But I didn't crack a book til I got my scores back, even though I was registered for a retake for a month after I would get my scores back. So then I only had a month to study, and this time is was during classes with other exams and stuff going on. Lesson learned. I voided my exam, and now I'm studying again for a January test. I know it's hard to be motivated to study when you're like "but I might not even need to be doing this!!". But just a little bit every day won't hurt!

Reactions: 1 user
I am pretty sure all the spots were taken last time I checked... Except for the new (not yet?) incorporated test date for December 6th.