Just took OAT, can I get in with these scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cavs123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my OAT and I felt like I did farely well but the scores do not show that. Can I get in with these scores? I have a 3.6 gpa and i have been a tech with an optometrist for over 3 years. I also took optical classes and i have attended many optometry confrences. I am graduating 1 year early and I take ochem2 and physics2 this semester so I was stuck teaching it to myself for the OAT which shows in my score. Would schools take this into consideration? Thoughts?

QR 300
RC 260
Biology 310
Gen Chem 300
OChem 270
Physics 270
TS 290
AA 290

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA and experience will definitely help you but if you have the time I think you should consider taking the OAT again. Then again, I don't know where you are applying but many schools want you to score above 300 on the sciences and though people get in with a science below 300 I'm not sure how likely it is to get in with two sciences below 300. You should really find out from the schools you are applying to what their standards are. Sorry...hope this helps.

thanks for your input. anyone else have any opinion?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would retake to improve reading comp, ochem, and physics especially since after you finish the pre-req's, you'll have better background knowledge. Your new OAT scores can then reflect your understanding of the material (and those science sections can bump up your overall score).

Do you think it would be too late to retake in 3 months?

I had similar scores and although I knew I needed to take it again, I decided to apply first and see if anyone would take those scores (QR: 290, RC: 340, B:280, GC: 300, OC: 280, P: 290 TS: 290 AA:300). I ended up getting interview invites from 8 of the 9 schools I applied to and was accepted to UAB and ICO (and withdrew from the other two I went to). Also, I had a 3.59 GPA and I graduated a semester early and they really seemed to be impressed by that, which sounds similar to your situation. I hope this helps!

Something that might work to your disadvantage is the fact that its already January and optometry school works on a rolling admission basis. I think my class is like 75% full and I imagine that schools will want to finish filling their classes with the best candidates I've always read that people with lower stats should apply as early as possible, when there are still a lot of seats available. If I were you though, I would contact the schools directly and see what they think, you never know the responses you might get.

Taking it in march would make it hard to get in this year. Id recommend taking it sometime in the next 6 months andtaking the next year off to build up experience.

Eh. I'd personally say you'd need to retake again to be safe but I think optometry schools are more lenient with strict GPA and OAT cutoffs nowadays ... I'd call optometry schools because I see acceptances and declines that I wouldn't have believed unless I read them on the internet (haha, yea that is phrase is ironic). And it's not like I'm new to the admissions process either; I've been lurking for 2 years now.

Salus.. But I just got another interview offer in the mail yesterday and I'm expecting another acceptance here over the next few days. So I have not decided on a school yet. Just goes to show that it all depends on your overall application.

Congrats that's amazing! What other schools did you apply too?

If you were applying before November, they may be okay depending on where you are applying. I agree with csandova, most of the classes are filling up. If money is not an issue for you, apply and see what happens. If it is, I would wait, take it again, and have my app ready to submit first thing next cycle. That is not to say people with those scores have not gotten in and will not get in, but the time frame works to your disadvantage.