Just want to be a physician!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aimhigh21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I have recently graduated from my 4 years university with a political science major which I really enjoy learning, however, my heart desire medicine since I was young. Anyways let me get straight to the point. I reside in California and seem like the CSU system does not offer second bachelor degree so completing my pre-reqs at a 4 years university is out of the question. The other issue is that the post-bac programs price is ridiculous for people who are married with children. My last choice to complete the pre-reqs is at a local community college. So my question is by taking these pre-reqs at CC would it effect my chances of getting into a medical school due to the competitiveness? Anyways I have no preference in a D.O. or M.D. school, as the post titled I just want to be a physician. Thank you for your response.

P.S. I apologize if this may be a repeat of topics.

Members don't see this ad.

Please do a quick search of "can I do prereqs at CC?" This question has been answered many times. Yes, you can do them. Yes, it probably has some effect on your competitiveness. But if you can't do them elsewhere, what are you going to do?

Reactions: 1 users
Hello guys, I have recently graduated from my 4 years university with a political science major which I really enjoy learning, however, my heart desire medicine since I was young. Anyways let me get straight to the point. I reside in California and seem like the CSU system does not offer second bachelor degree so completing my pre-reqs at a 4 years university is out of the question. The other issue is that the post-bac programs price is ridiculous for people who are married with children. My last choice to complete the pre-reqs is at a local community college. So my question is by taking these pre-reqs at CC would it effect my chances of getting into a medical school due to the competitiveness? Anyways I have no preference in a D.O. or M.D. school, as the post titled I just want to be a physician. Thank you for your response.

P.S. I apologize if this may be a repeat of topics.
It might be an issue for some MD schools, but less so for DO... I took bio, physics and math at a CC, and I got accepted to MD/DO. No schools questioned me about these classes... As long as you get As and do well on the MCAT, most school will be ok with your CC classes..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the DO school, RVU rarely takes applicants who have prereqs from CCs.