Juvenile arrest record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cptplanet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think a juvenile arrest record would cause problems in application to medschool and approval to work in hospitals during year 3 and 4? The arrest was due to a school fight and the name of the charge is "simple battery" there was never a case made and never sent to court. In illinois there is a law that allows for something called a station adjustment where if the officer doesnt want to give the kid a conviction record he will arrest you and then just basically scare the crap out of you without sending it any further aka no conviction or court appearance. However the arrest record will still show up if you dig deep enough. This took place at age 12 and I wouldnt even be worried about it if it didnt fall under a violent offense. Any suggestions on what I should do?

No amount of expunging or sealing will keep this record from those with high enough clearance (hospitals) it is already invisible to the public since it is a juvenile record.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think a juvenile arrest record would cause problems in application to medschool and approval to work in hospitals during year 3 and 4? The arrest was due to a school fight and the name of the charge is "simple battery" there was never a case made and never sent to court. In illinois there is a law that allows for something called a station adjustment where if the officer doesnt want to give the kid a conviction record he will arrest you and then just basically scare the crap out of you without sending it any further aka no conviction or court appearance. However the arrest record will still show up if you dig deep enough. This took place at age 12 and I wouldnt even be worried about it if it didnt fall under a violent offense. Any suggestions on what I should do?

No amount of expunging or sealing will keep this record from those with high enough clearance (hospitals) it is already invisible to the public since it is a juvenile record.
Just be honest about it, as a fight when you were 12 will hardly prevent you from being able to be licensed as a doctor. It wasn't a felony, you have no conviction, and you were 12. Answer each question honestly and I don't think it will hurt you.

Just be honest about it, as a fight when you were 12 will hardly prevent you from being able to be licensed as a doctor. It wasn't a felony, you have no conviction, and you were 12. Answer each question honestly and I don't think it will hurt you.

Thank you I agree, the question comes up on a few schools apps as "have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony" In that case do you think explaining this situation is still advisable or is that too much info?

Members don't see this ad :)
In the US if you aren't convicted and don't plead then you aren't guilty of anything.

Juvenile arrests shouldn't show up on a basic background check.

...you were 12. Even if adcoms could see your juvenile record, the most they'd get out of it was that you were an idiot as a child, and eventually grew up into a (hopefully) decent human being.

From what you said about it I don't think it would come up on a background check and don't think you would have to report to any schools b/c you never appeared in front of a judge and weren't formally charged. Even if they ask if you have ever been arrested just answer honestly. You were 12. No one is going to care.

I sure as heck wouldn't want you to be my doctor. I'd start looking into other fields.

When I saw the title of this thread I literally thought you were talking about the rapper, juvenile's, arrest record.

When I saw the title of this thread I literally thought you were talking about the rapper, juvenile's, arrest record.

I think you might be the only one.

Do your own self-backround check to clear your conscience but I cant fathom someone would come up with that from your past and its almost more weird to see someone disclosing something from pre-puberty.

AMCAS specifically tells you not to answer yes to the misdemeanor or felony question if you were a juvenile. It doesn't matter if it shows up on a background check or not.

Have you ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, a Misdemeanor crime, excluding 1) any offense for which you were adjudicated as a juvenile, 2) any convictions which have been expunged or sealed by a court, or 3) any misdemeanor convictions for which any probation has been completed and the case dismissed by the court (in states where applicable)?

Ouch. No sympathy for a prepubescent child with a momentary lapse of judgment?

No sympathy whatsoever. Even if he threw a tantrum as a child, that would be a huge red flag for me. I don't want a hothead thug as my doctor.