Juvenile Record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GarrettJ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was 16 I received a citation for a Minor in Possession (Alcohol), I did a diversion program, community service and wrote several essays to get my case closed. I recently did my expunction papers, but I am curious if I need to note that on my Technician application, because I am worried it might show up on my background check? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

When I was 16 I received a citation for a Minor in Possession (Alcohol), I did a diversion program, community service and wrote several essays to get my case closed. I recently did my expunction papers, but I am curious if I need to note that on my Technician application, because I am worried it might show up on my background check? :confused:

I am no lawyer, but if you are 18 or over my understanding is you never have to mention it? Juvenile records are sealed.

Okay, I was thinking the same, back when it happened I had to go to a meeting and was told to say "no" if it asks on any sort of application, but just wanted a second thought. Can never be too safe.

Thank you!

I am no lawyer, but if you are 18 or over my understanding is you never have to mention it? Juvenile records are sealed.

This is correct. You also may not have to mention arrests that have been expunged from your record that occurred after you turned 18. You may want to check your specific state's laws on expungement to see if your state has codified such practices. Note that expungement and dismissal are not synonymous for these purposes, but some states do have legal statutes existing for the expungement of dismissed cases.