Kansas City (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesLMT

Accidentally Accepted
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New Year, New Thread!!! Discuss away!!!

Members don't see this ad.

First.
I think this will be one of the 15 DO schools I apply to.

Does anyone know how strict they are about their 12 hours of biology plus 3 hrs of genetics and 3 hrs of biochemistry? I have 7 hours of biology (zoo and molecular), 3 hrs of genetics, and 6 hours of biochemistry, but that will increase significantly as I am a biochemistry major.

Members don't see this ad :)
Howdy! Got two questions for KCUMB

Is it true that 90% of the students that get interviews at this SOM matriculate?
Will biomolecular interactions, molecular cell biology, or molecular biology count towards a biochem course?

Howdy! Got two questions for KCUMB

Is it true that 90% of the students that get interviews at this SOM matriculate?
Will biomolecular interactions, molecular cell biology, or molecular biology count towards a biochem course?
This is what students told me when I interviewed-that they take like 80-90% of people they interview. I'm not sure about the substitution of courses, you should call the admissions.

This is what students told me when I interviewed-that they take like 80-90% of people they interview. I'm not sure about the substitution of courses, you should call the admissions.
KCUMB summarizes its admissions activity in a self assessment found at:
http://www.kcumb.edu/visitors/PDF/KCUMB_AOACOCA2011.pdf at page 35

...................................2011........ 2010.......... 2009
apps.......................... 3210...... 3108 ...........3109
Interview invites........ 766.......... 627.............. 828
interviews.................. 621......... 400............... 460
Accepted................... 478......... 356............... 423
pd matric fees............296 .........289................ 277

accepted/
interviews ..................77%......... 89% ..............92%

Last edited:
KCUMB summarizes its admissions activity in a self assessment found at:
http://www.kcumb.edu/visitors/PDF/KCUMB_AOACOCA2011.pdf at page 35

...................................2011........ 2010.......... 2009
apps.......................... 3210...... 3108 ...........3109
Interview invites........ 766.......... 627.............. 828
interviews.................. 621......... 400............... 460
Accepted................... 478......... 356............... 423
pd matric fees............296 .........289................ 277

accepted/
interviews ..................77%......... 89% ..............92%

So it looks like the interviews are meaning less and less certain to be accepted. Seems like a great school. The DO I shadowed spoke very highly of his experience here! He's the one that motivated me to add it to my application. :ninja:

I can perhaps answer a few questions that have been asked. Yes, you must do the prerequisite courses. There are several in the incoming class that have had to take any remaining this summer prior to matriculation. I think they want people to be exposed to certain material beforehand. As for chances once an interview is granted, your chances are pretty good here, as I interviewed in mid March and was accepted later that month. That being said, do your research on osteopathy, and be committed to it. Hope to see some of you in August 2013.

KCUMB Class of 2016

Hey everyone I got accepted here and will be starting my first year in August. I know i know nothing yet but ill try to answer questions as i go.

Do u know any Canadian applicants that were accepted? just wondering if its worth it to apply or not since stove schools even though they say they accept international, rarely do so.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

I believe there actually is someone from Canada this year (if memory serves me right) I know the second year class has at least one if not more Canadian students, as well as students from several other countries. Despite many of the students coming from the Midwest, there really isn't a regional preference. I would say they just want to ensure you actually want to be there.

KCUMB Class of 2016

I believe there actually is someone from Canada this year (if memory serves me right) I know the second year class has at least one if not more Canadian students, as well as students from several other countries. Despite many of the students coming from the Midwest, there really isn't a regional preference. I would say they just want to ensure you actually want to be there.

KCUMB Class of 2016

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I can perhaps answer a few questions that have been asked. Yes, you must do the prerequisite courses. There are several in the incoming class that have had to take any remaining this summer prior to matriculation. I think they want people to be exposed to certain material beforehand. As for chances once an interview is granted, your chances are pretty good here, as I interviewed in mid March and was accepted later that month. That being said, do your research on osteopathy, and be committed to it. Hope to see some of you in August 2013.

KCUMB Class of 2016

I'm going to be an MS1 at KCUMB and I can verify that you must have all the credits to matriculate, you dont need to have them to apply. I was 1 credit short in bio due to a conversion from trimester to semester credits and they made me take another bio course to make it up. I'm also currently taking genetics. I'm doing both online at a community college so its not a big deal really. After submitting my secondary I got an email from admissions saying I was short credits, I responded and said I was planning to take them if I was accepted and I literally got my interview invite like 30 seconds later.

And as others have said, if you are invited for an interview you have a great shot and they tell you that on interview day...for my group they basically said "relax, if you made it into this room the interview is a formality, be yourself and you have a very good chance of being accepted". They prescreen heavily, they told us they interview around 15% of the applicants and they usually accept around 90% of those interviewed....those figures seem to line up pretty well with the stats posted above. Then they added that the people they dont accept are usually the ones who get so nervous that they completely bomb the interview by not being themselves.

Anyway good luck guys, I'll try to check back and answer questions if I can!

Anyone get the secondary yet?

I'm going to be an MS1 at KCUMB and I can verify that you must have all the credits to matriculate, you dont need to have them to apply. I was 1 credit short in bio due to a conversion from trimester to semester credits and they made me take another bio course to make it up. I'm also currently taking genetics. I'm doing both online at a community college so its not a big deal really. After submitting my secondary I got an email from admissions saying I was short credits, I responded and said I was planning to take them if I was accepted and I literally got my interview invite like 30 seconds later.

And as others have said, if you are invited for an interview you have a great shot and they tell you that on interview day...for my group they basically said "relax, if you made it into this room the interview is a formality, be yourself and you have a very good chance of being accepted". They prescreen heavily, they told us they interview around 15% of the applicants and they usually accept around 90% of those interviewed....those figures seem to line up pretty well with the stats posted above. Then they added that the people they dont accept are usually the ones who get so nervous that they completely bomb the interview by not being themselves.

Anyway good luck guys, I'll try to check back and answer questions if I can!

I am glad I have all of my cred in order, I would hate to have to go back to UG to take a class so I can matriculate ....

I am glad I have all of my cred in order, I would hate to have to go back to UG to take a class so I can matriculate ....

It aint no thang, if you can't crush a community college 3 credit course you dont belong in med school.

Soooooo not the point bro... I could kill the class but stepping back onto campus.... Pride man... Pride

no idea what you are saying, please explain?...and don't call me bro.

Last edited:
I'm not mad but what are you talking about?

I'm not mad but what are you talking about?

I think he's saying he'd be embarrassed to step back on his UG campus when he was suppossed to be done. Seeing his peers who have a a year left and getting questions like "thoughy you were in med school, what happened?" might give the tail between your legs feeling. Could be way off though...

I think he's saying he'd be embarrassed to step back on his UG campus when he was suppossed to be done. Seeing his peers who have a a year left and getting questions like "thoughy you were in med school, what happened?" might give the tail between your legs feeling. Could be way off though...

Yeah you are right, I would die of embarrassment if I got into med school and had to take another class. That's so humiliating.

Yeah you are right, I would die of embarrassment if I got into med school and had to take another class. That's so humiliating.

And yet you live?!?! Go figure, lmao

I read somewhere that kcumb won't accept you if any of your mcat sections are below a 7,
What if you have 10's in the other two?

Also why do we have to have science faculty LOR on top of the committee letter and doctor LOR?

I read somewhere that kcumb won't accept you if any of your mcat sections are below a 7,
What if you have 10's in the other two?

Also why do we have to have science faculty LOR on top of the committee letter and doctor LOR?

The KCUMB minimum requirements, like those at many schools, aren't necessarily a line in the sand. If you have a compelling app you'll probably get a secondary and have a shot at an interview even if you don't meet one of the standards. My cGPA was below the cutoff but I got an interview and was accepted.

http://www.kcumb.edu/admissions/com_acad_requirements.asp

For the letter I think they just want a letter from someone who knows you well academically and personally. The committee letter is just a broad recommendation in many cases, I know that at my school only one person on the committee knew me personally.

Bingo:thumbup:

Just realized I don't meet KCUMB's minimum GPA requirements. I guess we'll see if my MCAT is enough to get me a secondary; It's 10 points higher than their cutoff and both my GPAs are 0.5 below their cutoff.

Just realized I don't meet KCUMB's minimum GPA requirements. I guess we'll see if my MCAT is enough to get me a secondary; It's 10 points higher than their cutoff and both my GPAs are 0.5 below their cutoff.

Did you apply to any smps? An smp wouls clean that gpa problem right up if you do well. If you dont get in this cycle you may want to consider it.

Did you apply to any smps? An smp wouls clean that gpa problem right up if you do well. If you dont get in this cycle you may want to consider it.

Just going to retake more classes at CC if I don't get in this cycle.

Look at my quote above, the cutoffs aren't a line in the sand, they look at every apllication so you should apply no matter what.

Totally not necessary. Now you need something to offset your weakness but you you can get in with a weak gpa/mcat/etc.

This is my first choice as of right now. I'm above their cut-off for GPA and MCAT (28). I'm bummed because each section has a cut off at 7 and my scores at 10V/6P/12B. Their website says that they make exceptions on the 7 section score cut-off on a case by case basis. Because I'm so interested in this school I was planning on writing a letter to see if they would look at my over all scores. Just wondering if you guys think I should write this now or wait to see if I get a secondary before calling/emailing them.

This is my first choice as of right now. I'm above their cut-off for GPA and MCAT (28). I'm bummed because each section has a cut off at 7 and my scores at 10V/6P/12B. Their website says that they make exceptions on the 7 section score cut-off on a case by case basis. Because I'm so interested in this school I was planning on writing a letter to see if they would look at my over all scores. Just wondering if you guys think I should write this now or wait to see if I get a secondary before calling/emailing them.

If you have a question you should call or email them now. The sooner you know the sooner you can figure out what to do.

I shadow my hometown doc that attended KCUMB back in the day and ever since I've been aiming more for KCUMB than for KUMed. Mainly because I hear the programs are very comparable, but I've heard stories of KUMC students being charged out the wazoo with little to no improvements to their buildings/classrooms. I also love that KCUMB is partnered with Rockhurst for their MBA. I think Kansas City does a spectacular job at culturing an environment for successful businesses.

So here's my case,

I could apply this year, but this upcoming year is my break year and I'm traveling around. The following year (2013-2014) is going to be the year I would (if fortunate enough) matriculate.

Here are my stats and I'm wondering if I should apply this year or just wait. (As for age, I wasn't born in the 90s :\ ):

MCAT: 27P 9/9/9
College cGPA: 2.97 (I don't know they'd want overall or just university gpa)
College + Transfer cGPA: 3.03
sGPA: 2.94

EC: Bunch of work through my Leadership program (unfortunately none for health care related things). My group and I did write a grant for our local hispanic non-profit which the main goal was to extend healthcare coverage for our local hispanic population by employing medical translators and facilitating education to the hispanic pubic on how to approach the American healthcare system. This was supposed to reduce healthcare cost by motivating uninsured Hispanic American (legal or illegal immigrants) to approach the health care system early on as a method of preventing a larger, more serious health condition that would cost more in the long run to treat.

Also I've volunteered for 40-50 hours at the local hospital and just began to shadow our town D.O. for 10-15 hours so far.

as for LORs, I'm having a difficult time thinking of people to help me.

I have 1 leadership teacher, 1 professor (maybe), 1 professor (maybe if the other doesnt), and hopefully my D.O. doc

Should I apply now :(?

I think they require 3.25.

KCUMB is pretty competitive...if you have the money, no one will stop you from applying. But I think your odds are not great this time

But, as a re-applicant born in the early 80s...one more year aint too bad.

Good luck

I shadow my hometown doc that attended KCUMB back in the day and ever since I've been aiming more for KCUMB than for KUMed. Mainly because I hear the programs are very comparable, but I've heard stories of KUMC students being charged out the wazoo with little to no improvements to their buildings/classrooms. I also love that KCUMB is partnered with Rockhurst for their MBA. I think Kansas City does a spectacular job at culturing an environment for successful businesses.

So here's my case,

I could apply this year, but this upcoming year is my break year and I'm traveling around. The following year (2013-2014) is going to be the year I would (if fortunate enough) matriculate.

Here are my stats and I'm wondering if I should apply this year or just wait. (As for age, I wasn't born in the 90s :\ ):

MCAT: 27P 9/9/9
College cGPA: 2.97 (I don't know they'd want overall or just university gpa)
College + Transfer cGPA: 3.03
sGPA: 2.94

EC: Bunch of work through my Leadership program (unfortunately none for health care related things). My group and I did write a grant for our local hispanic non-profit which the main goal was to extend healthcare coverage for our local hispanic population by employing medical translators and facilitating education to the hispanic pubic on how to approach the American healthcare system. This was supposed to reduce healthcare cost by motivating uninsured Hispanic American (legal or illegal immigrants) to approach the health care system early on as a method of preventing a larger, more serious health condition that would cost more in the long run to treat.

Also I've volunteered for 40-50 hours at the local hospital and just began to shadow our town D.O. for 10-15 hours so far.

as for LORs, I'm having a difficult time thinking of people to help me.

I have 1 leadership teacher, 1 professor (maybe), 1 professor (maybe if the other doesnt), and hopefully my D.O. doc

Should I apply now :(?
Your mcat is good however your grades are not. You need to fix that if you go back and repeat the classes you got bad grades in you have a better chance. With your grades the way they are now i wouldnt apply.

I'm applying here! I really like this school. My GPA is above the requirements but I'm nail biting waiting on my MCAT scores. I'm also a Mexican-American female which I think helps? The whole URM thing is kinda weird to me.

jajaja ^

waiting on secondaries, got verified two days ago, life is good.

Anyone get the secondary yet?

That works too... i hope you get in though...

Thanks, I hope so too!

Anyone know the dress code???

Are you seriously going to ask about every DO school's dress code? Unless you're a super applicant, you probably shouldn't be choosing based on something so miniscule.

Are you seriously going to ask about every DO school's dress code? Unless you're a super applicant, you probably shouldn't be choosing based on something so miniscule.

yeah, this is getting a bit annoying...

Wouldn't affect my decision. Just nice to know if I'd be wearing a tie or a t-shirt every day. I don't really care if it's annoying. I just figured I'd ask about all the schools I applied to just so I know. Also I'm sure I'm not the only one that wonders about it.

You're the only one who cares about it *prior* to getting accepted, let's just say that.

KCUMB along with many other schools do have a dress code. For men it it either scrubs or business casual with an open collar shirt. Women have the choice between scrubs, skirt/blouse, or dress pants. That said if you wish to be a physician, one of there will become your daily attire. Some schools are very strict while others slightly more lax (KCUMB included)

KCUMB Class of 2016