Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey I'm right there with you. I have the same time frame as you, and not a peep from them since getting my complete status post secondary....hopefully we hear soon, the wait to here back is killing me!
Let them have the full three weeks before you guys go crazy , if it's anything like last year, they're getting a ton of applications. 6000+ last cycle. If three weeks passes give them a call or send an email

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How long did it take you guys to get your secondary? I've been verified for a while now and my stats are above the cutoff but still nothing...

For anyone who interviewed last year.. Would you comment on the overall experience? Questions they asked. Tips? Pointers?

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, this is one of my Top DO school choices and I have gotten no word after they said my application was complete. They said 3 weeks, but I'm almost at 2.5 Weeks with no word from them.
Did you check your spam folder for your email? I didn't know I received an interview until I checked it.

For anyone who interviewed last year.. Would you comment on the overall experience? Questions they asked. Tips? Pointers?
Just remember that you are being watched and interviewed the entire day. Make friends with fellow interviewees and show that you can easily interact with others. As far as interviews go, it is dependent on who interviews you. I had a great interviewer, very stoic, he didn't say too much and it was hard to read him. I would suggest knowing how to answer simple or general bio ethical questions (abortion, stem cells, HPV vaccine..... long list) Don't take the time to look it up just be aware how you might answer an ethical question. Be firm and direct, don't be wishy washy, and be prepared to stick with your answer even if they make you feel like you are on the wrong side. Mine was possibly the easiest interview that I did all year. And last but not least, have a question prepared that you can ask at the end of the interview when they ask "Do you have any questions for me?".

Reactions: 3 users
Just remember that you are being watched and interviewed the entire day. Make friends with fellow interviewees and show that you can easily interact with others. As far as interviews go, it is dependent on who interviews you. I had a great interviewer, very stoic, he didn't say too much and it was hard to read him. I would suggest knowing how to answer simple or general bio ethical questions (abortion, stem cells, HPV vaccine..... long list) Don't take the time to look it up just be aware how you might answer an ethical question. Be firm and direct, don't be wishy washy, and be prepared to stick with your answer even if they make you feel like you are on the wrong side. Mine was possibly the easiest interview that I did all year. And last but not least, have a question prepared that you can ask at the end of the interview when they ask "Do you have any questions for me?".
Thanks for this.. Hopefully, I will also get a "stoic" interviewer.

II on September 16th. Will be staying at the 816 hotel. Flying in from Pittsburgh

Reactions: 1 users
II on September 16th. Will be staying at the 816 hotel. Flying in from Pittsburgh
Do you mind sharing when you submitted your secondary / received complete email? Stats would be great too! Thanks in advance

Who has two thumbs and a II?! This guy ;) Complete Aug 4, 502, 3.7s 3.65c

Reactions: 4 users
I just pooped myself. I have an II!!!!!!!! Completed Augt 13th, 3.6c/3.6s/28

Members don't see this ad :)
So did everyone who received IIs so far get them on a Tuesday?

Still no complete email. Emailed admissions on 8/18, no response :(

Complete Aug. 3rd. II on August 18th. 3.51 GPA 25 MCAT

Still no complete email. Emailed admissions on 8/18, no response :(
I got my complete email yesterday after waiting almost two weeks. I got the secondary received email on 8/12 and called the following week and they said that the person that handles the application processing had been out for a few days, but told me to call again if the complete by 8/21. I would give them a call if you've been waiting a while, but I'm sure your email is on its way.

I got my complete email yesterday after waiting almost two weeks. I got the secondary received email on 8/12 and called the following week and they said that the person that handles the application processing had been out for a few days, but told me to call again if the complete by 8/21. I would give them a call if you've been waiting a while, but I'm sure your email is on its way.
I think I'll give them a call. I submit 8/4 and got the secondary received email the same day as you. Did you just call the number given in the secondary invite email?

I think I'll give them a call. I submit 8/4 and got the secondary received email the same day as you. Did you just call the number given in the secondary invite email?
Yes. There are two numbers listed on the email and I believe I called the first one. The switchboard operator answered and I had them direct me to admissions. Hopefully they'll be able to help you out :)

I think Jobi's wondering if we can expect IIs to come out on Tuesdays exclusively. (If Jobi wasn't, I am) Was it last Tuesday?
Yes, I'm wondering if they only give out IIs on Tuesdays. Anyone get one on a different day?

I think Jobi's wondering if we can expect IIs to come out on Tuesdays exclusively. (If Jobi wasn't, I am) Was it last Tuesday?

Oh lol in that case yes I got my mine on a Tuesday last week haha

I think Kansas City and Des Moines both send out interviews on Tuesdays

Way to dash our only hope for some consistency in this whole process :p

Well this II completes my DO school preferred II list. I got an II from my top 4 preferred DO schools (listed in no particular order): AZCOM (dont know how that one went), CCOM, DMU, and finally KCU today.

Well this II completes my DO school preferred II list. I got an II from my top 4 preferred DO schools (listed in no particular order): AZCOM (dont know how that one went), CCOM, DMU, and finally KCU today.
Nice, when did you get your DMU interview?

Yes. There are two numbers listed on the email and I believe I called the first one. The switchboard operator answered and I had them direct me to admissions. Hopefully they'll be able to help you out :)
I was able to get a hold of someone in admissions yesterday and they basically told me: 1. They've had a couple people out of the office that are now back 2. They have 3 people reviewing apps 3. They have all my letters and I'm just waiting for them to mark my app as complete and send me an email :/

To break up the waiting process, check out the new "Give Them 20 Challenge" video posted by KCU on YouTube:

I just got an email saying they received my secondary along with this "If you have not already done so, please submit 2 letters of recommendation to the Office of Admissions. " If I have all of my letters in on the AACOMAS site, does that mean I don't have to do anything? Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure how aacomas works because my school sent out letters using an outside source. But would assume that if AACOMAS has them they KCU most likely does as well.

I just got an email saying they received my secondary along with this "If you have not already done so, please submit 2 letters of recommendation to the Office of Admissions. " If I have all of my letters in on the AACOMAS site, does that mean I don't have to do anything? Thanks in advance!
They do accept letters through AACOMAS.

anybody know what the post-interview acceptance is? It was super/oddly high for the past few years so I was wondering if they did a heavy screen before inviting people for the II's and then the interview be more of a formality to make sure you're not lying or bat-**** crazy

anybody know what the post-interview acceptance is? It was super/oddly high for the past few years so I was wondering if they did a heavy screen before inviting people for the II's and then the interview be more of a formality to make sure you're not lying or bat-**** crazy
I think that I saw in previous threads it was high according to students that posted but you can never be too certain without the school confirming it

I believe it's usually around 70%. As far as interviews go, most schools interview to weed out weirdos and socially incompetent. If you get an interview your chances are good at any school unless you convince them otherwise. Now that being said, I'm pretty confident that acceptance rate includes those put on WL. Technically a wait listed individual is accepted in their eyes because they weren't denied acceptance.

I believe it's usually around 70%. As far as interviews go, most schools interview to weed out weirdos and socially incompetent. If you get an interview your chances are good at any school unless you convince them otherwise. Now that being said, I'm pretty confident that acceptance rate includes those put on WL. Technically a wait listed individual is accepted in their eyes because they weren't denied acceptance.

Another thing to note: in no way, shape, or form, should you ever show a sense of entitlement while at the interview. If you say something like "well I've already got 8 interviews, 2 at MD schools, so I want to see what impresses me here" while at the interview (which it did happen at mine) then don't be surprised when you're hit with a WL decision.

I used the following video as a resource for the interview: best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
II!! I'm so excited!!!
Is the submit button to select an interview date not working for anyone else??

Edit: I logged out then back in and it said I had already selected an interview date so I guess the page just doesn't change after you select submit.

II!! I'm so excited!!!
Is the submit button to select an interview date not working for anyone else??

Edit: I logged out then back in and it said I had already selected an interview date so I guess the page just doesn't change after you select submit.
Congrats! I've been waiting to hear from this school and the anticipation is killing me! Mind sharing your stats/complete date?

@AlteredScale I just received a secondary, and have pre-written much of it! In the secondary it asks about specific research within biomedical or health-care fields. My research experience involved studying endophytic bacteria, should I say no? Will they overlook this experience research because it wasn't biomedical related?

@AlteredScale I just received a secondary, and have pre-written much of it! In the secondary it asks about specific research within biomedical or health-care fields. My research experience involved studying endophytic bacteria, should I say no? Will they overlook this experience research because it wasn't biomedical related?

Did your research have any correlations to medicine at all? If your PI has a grant with the NIH then he may have the project summary which can provide a solid explanation of the medical applications of your work. If not, then I would suggest calling the admissions office!

Did your research have any correlations to medicine at all? If your PI has a grant with the NIH then he may have the project summary which can provide a solid explanation of the medical applications of your work. If not, then I would suggest calling the admissions office!

You are doing God's work