Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was just saying to my gf how I thought that was kind of rude, looks like I'm not alone lol
MSUCOM did the same thing to me a couple weeks ago </3

Members don't see this ad.

Ooooo KCU really needs to stop teasing us with these emails -_-

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ANOTHER email from Patti today, my heart can't take this

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all, Does anyone know if the aiport offers car rental ? If yes, would you recommend any thing in particular ? I have never rented a car before hahaha. I am interviewing on 9/29 (Tuesday), and I will be using airbnb. I will arrive in Kansas city on 9/28.

Hi all, Does anyone know if the aiport offers car rental ? If yes, would you recommend any thing in particular ? I have never rented a car before hahaha. I am interviewing on 9/29 (Tuesday), and I will be using airbnb. I will arrive in Kansas city on 9/28.

Yes it does. The insurance was rather expensive, which is why I just used the SuperShuttle available at the airport and it was relatively cheap!

Yes it does. The insurance was rather expensive, which is why I just used the SuperShuttle available at the airport and it was relatively cheap!
hmm.... do you think it would be cheaper if I don't rent a car during my stay in Kansas city ? Maybe use Uber for 3 days ? The place i stay at is about 10 minute drive from KCU. I arrive on Monday, interview on Tuesday, and I plan on checking out the city on Wednesday (flying out that night).

Currently filling out a secondary for this school. Should I list a poster as a pub? It was grant work from the NIH if that even means anything.

hmm.... do you think it would be cheaper if I don't rent a car during my stay in Kansas city ? Maybe use Uber for 3 days ? The place i stay at is about 10 minute drive from KCU. I arrive on Monday, interview on Tuesday, and I plan on checking out the city on Wednesday (flying out that night).
A lot of credit cards will have insurance policies for your rental car if you pay for it with that card. If you have one check it out and that could save you some money. Check kayak.com to find the cheapest rental.

Currently filling out a secondary for this school. Should I list a poster as a pub? It was grant work from the NIH if that even means anything.

Def llist that as research experience. Be sure to include PI, grant title and any other pertinent information.

Reactions: 1 user
hey desperate attempt at connecting with two awesome interviewees I met on Sep 23, I promised to add you guys but forgot your names (sorry!), UCLA guy (thanks for the ride to the airport) and PNW guy, send me a PM thanks

Anyone want to split a room for 9/28-29? Or share a ride from the airport around 12-1pm on the 28th? :D excited to meet yall

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone. I'm a first year at KCU. If you have any questions I will try to answer them. Kansas City is a great place and KCU is a great school. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Oh. I forgot to mention that I was in the Masters program here last year. If someone has a question about that thean I can try to answer that too.

Hello everyone. I'm a first year at KCU. If you have any questions I will try to answer them. Kansas City is a great place and KCU is a great school. Good luck to everyone!
Hey, congrats on starting your first year here :D Hope it's going well so far! Thank you for offering to answer our questions. I have two if you don't mind answering them:

1) Do you know anything about research opportunities available at KCU? I was told by the staff and students that there were a lot of opportunities, but my interviewer seemed to suggest that the school is shifting focus to improving board scores so the curriculum might get even tougher which might lead to reduced time for other things like research.
2) Also, I have heard/read stories about the neighbourhood being rough/shady, are they true? I went there for my interview recently, and I absolutely loved the area and the school but I am a bit concerned about living there because one student I spoke with sounded hesitant (although most of them loved living there). I understand as medical students, we would be spending most of the time on campus or at home but is it a safe area in general?

I did some research during the masters program. I think most of the research for the Biochem teachers here is neuroscience based and related to diseases like Parkinson's. There are other opportunities I think, but like you said the curriculum is pretty packed. If you really want to do research, though, you can make time for it. I think down the road they are hoping to have some PhD programs and really beef up the research part of the school.
I live pretty close to school and mostly just drive right to school and back. The security is great on campus, but the area right around the campus is a little sketchy. There are a lot of great places around KC though. There are some people that live north of the river and have no problem, and there are nice areas a little to the south. For going out the Plaza, Westport, Crossroads, and the suburbs are nice.

Hey, congrats on starting your first year here :D Hope it's going well so far! Thank you for offering to answer our questions. I have two if you don't mind answering them:

1) Do you know anything about research opportunities available at KCU? I was told by the staff and students that there were a lot of opportunities, but my interviewer seemed to suggest that the school is shifting focus to improving board scores so the curriculum might get even tougher which might lead to reduced time for other things like research.
2) Also, I have heard/read stories about the neighbourhood being rough/shady, are they true? I went there for my interview recently, and I absolutely loved the area and the school but I am a bit concerned about living there because one student I spoke with sounded hesitant (although most of them loved living there). I understand as medical students, we would be spending most of the time on campus or at home but is it a safe area in general?

I can answer number 1 since I am trying to enter their DO/MS dual program. KCU has an entire research center but it's def not as active as say KU or UMKC since there's ALOT more NIH funding being funneled there for obvious reseans (a lot more active basic scientists not focused on medical education but have to play the role as a lecturer).

You only get 1 month for summer between M1 and M2. Most medical student research fellowships are 2 months in length as sa minimum (see CCFA or HHMI summer fellowships).

Our curriculum is INTENSE compared to other programs, we have more exams and more expectations when I've compared them to other DO and some MD programs that my friends from UCSD are going to.

To keep it simple. If you can keep at 3.5+ after the first 3 blocks in this curriclum, you'll be eligible to do research (as per faculty's advice to me).

A 3.0 here is a 4.0 at other places....that's how hard this curriculum is.

So I'd say choose carefully, if research is a big deal to you then think hard. For me, what it's come down to is that step 1 scores trump research every time. You can publish Nature, Cell, PNAS, NEJM but still get the boot for your residency app because your step scores suck.

As a side note: I've been told by faculty that a dual degree DO/PhD program will be available in about 5 years time. So research expansion is obviously on their radar.

Interviewed yesterday- had a great time meeting faculty and enjoyed the school more than I thought I would. Interviewers were super friendly, did anyone else get immediate feedback from theirs? My interviewer told me he was impressed with me but I wasn't sure if he was just trying to contribute to that 'try to make them feel at ease' thing, which I do appreciate.

Interviewed yesterday- had a great time meeting faculty and enjoyed the school more than I thought I would. Interviewers were super friendly, did anyone else get immediate feedback from theirs? My interviewer told me he was impressed with me but I wasn't sure if he was just trying to contribute to that 'try to make them feel at ease' thing, which I do appreciate.
I got a similar response from my interviewer and i love him for it lol
I had a great feeling after my interview too but I am keeping my hopes really low so as not to feel crushed if/when I get rejected/wait listed haha

I got a similar response from my interviewer and i love him for it lol
I had a great feeling after my interview too but I am keeping my hopes really low so as not to feel crushed if/when I get rejected/wait listed haha

Same, I almost always have good feelings about interviews but somehow end up rejected :¥

Can any M2s or knowledgable M1s chime in on the curriculum on the schools website? The dean made it seem like second year systems are repeated with a focus on "abnormal". Ending second year going into boards with 8 weeks of repro and then peds seems odd. It also doesn't look like the systems are repeating if you compare it to RVUs curriculum? Unless he modified it when he left there. Lots of time spent on neuro at the beginning of M2 as well...

Also! How many weeks of board study time do you guys get?

Can any M2s or knowledgable M1s chime in on the curriculum on the schools website? The dean made it seem like second year systems are repeated with a focus on "abnormal". Ending second year going into boards with 8 weeks of repro and then peds seems odd. It also doesn't look like the systems are repeating if you compare it to RVUs curriculum? Unless he modified it when he left there. Lots of time spent on neuro at the beginning of M2 as well...
I'm just an M1, but here's our schedule:
MDM-Aug 3rd to Aug 24th
HDM-Aug 25th to Sept 11th
MSK-Sept 14th to Oct 19th
Cardiopulmonary-Oct 20th to Nov 25th
Renal-Nov 30th to Dec 18th
Winter Break!!!
GI-Jan 4th to Jan 29th
Endo-Feb 1st to Feb 15
Repro-Feb 16th to March 9th
Neuro-March 21st to April 29th
MOD1-May 2nd to May31st
MOD2-June 1st to June 27th

I'm just an M1, but here's our schedule:
MDM-Aug 3rd to Aug 24th
HDM-Aug 25th to Sept 11th
MSK-Sept 14th to Oct 19th
Cardiopulmonary-Oct 20th to Nov 25th
Renal-Nov 30th to Dec 18th
Winter Break!!!
GI-Jan 4th to Jan 29th
Endo-Feb 1st to Feb 15
Repro-Feb 16th to March 9th
Neuro-March 21st to April 29th
MOD1-May 2nd to May31st
MOD2-June 1st to June 27th

What are the hours like as far as scheduled time in class? I have tried to determine from the website how long classes actually meet for lecture, etc, but haven't been able to find anything definitive. Thanks!

The website actually hasn't been updated for the new curriculum for second year. Only the first year shows the new curriculum. It was confusing for me too.

M2 so far with the new curriclum has been 5-6 weeks of neuro (different from what's shown on the webpage), then followwed up with Renal and I think GI, Endocrine, Repro is next. the last few blocks are the "easiest" in terms of work load as to taper the students off to give them time to prepare for Step 1. I think the last block is like biostats and psych? Not sure though.

What are the hours like as far as scheduled time in class? I have tried to determine from the website how long classes actually meet for lecture, etc, but haven't been able to find anything definitive. Thanks!

Most lectures are 8-12 or 9-12 scheduled in 50 min blocks. Somtimes we will ahve lectures in the afternoon (after lunch from 12 -1) but for them ost part afternoons are for labs (osteopathic, patient sim, clinical med, etc etc).

The first two blocks (immunology or HDM and biochem/cellbioc/genetics/molecularbio or MCM) don't have much in the way of labs so the schedule isn't too bad. Once MSK hits you'll be in the anatomy lab 2-3 days a week for two hours. Add that to other labs and lectures and you'll find that most of your days are going to be 8-5 at school. You'll spend the rest of your time studying, preparing for a competency, preparing for a simulated patient encounter, preparing for an exam outside of your main block, preparing for a lab check off, or studying for the normal block LOL

Most lectures are 8-12 or 9-12 scheduled in 50 min blocks. Somtimes we will ahve lectures in the afternoon (after lunch from 12 -1) but for them ost part afternoons are for labs (osteopathic, patient sim, clinical med, etc etc).

The first two blocks (immunology or HDM and biochem/cellbioc/genetics/molecularbio or MCM) don't have much in the way of labs so the schedule isn't too bad. Once MSK hits you'll be in the anatomy lab 2-3 days a week for two hours. Add that to other labs and lectures and you'll find that most of your days are going to be 8-5 at school. You'll spend the rest of your time studying, preparing for a competency, preparing for a simulated patient encounter, preparing for an exam outside of your main block, preparing for a lab check off, or studying for the normal block LOL
Or playing ping pong

The website actually hasn't been updated for the new curriculum for second year. Only the first year shows the new curriculum. It was confusing for me too.

M2 so far with the new curriclum has been 5-6 weeks of neuro (different from what's shown on the webpage), then followwed up with Renal and I think GI, Endocrine, Repro is next. the last few blocks are the "easiest" in terms of work load as to taper the students off to give them time to prepare for Step 1. I think the last block is like biostats and psych? Not sure though.

Thank you! You're always so helpful, as usual :). Do you know how long you guys get for board study?

Thank you! You're always so helpful, as usual :). Do you know how long you guys get for board study?

I think we get a solid 6 weeks off for boards. That's after a 2 week Kaplan prep course. And again, the blocks supposodley get easier near the end of M2 to provide more time for you to prepare.

Glad to help!!!

Interview day here was awesome 2 days ago! Just like the other two posted, my interviewer had positive things to say afterwards. Before I left she said how she enjoyed talking to me and loved the conversation we had (we went on a few tangents LOL). Overall got an excellent vibe from the school. I hope that the good vibes at the interview was not false hope though (though they do accept a huge % of their interviews!)

Reactions: 2 users
interviewed 2 weeks ago. the wait is killing me!

Reactions: 3 users
I have heard the curriculum is intense. How much time do you have to have a life?

I have heard the curriculum is intense. How much time do you have to have a life?

It's pretty intense.

You get out of medical school what you put into it. You can get by on 4-6 hours a day (on top of labs and class if you go to class) or push your butt 8-10. Do whatever suits you.

You have free time but the curriculum schedule dictates when you have that free time. Use that free time wisely.

@AlteredScale can you post you typical a schedule??

From what I heard during my visit: yes the curriculum is intense, but you do have time to be a part of clubs and activities. You wont be a social zombie if you attend KCU, haha.

It's pretty intense.

You get out of medical school what you put into it. You can get by on 4-6 hours a day (on top of labs and class if you go to class) or push your butt 8-10. Do whatever suits you.

You have free time but the curriculum schedule dictates when you have that free time. Use that free time wisely.

Is class attendance not mandatory?

I go to class sometimes by accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol
Well I'm not suggesting I don't think class might be important. I just was under the assumption that class would always be mandatory. Thanks for clarifying a little bit though!

Lol
Well I'm not suggesting I don't think class might be important. I just was under the assumption that class would always be mandatory. Thanks for clarifying a little bit though!

It's not mandatory but the instructors can choose at their discretion if they want the lecture video being posted. The general rule is if there is less than 50% attendance then the lecture won't be posted.

We never had it happen during first year but in 2nd year only 30 students showed up for a OMM lecture. The professor was pissed and asked the AV guys not to post it.

Labs are mandatory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be very brutally honest, your not going to have much free time. I'd say at the very best, a few hours each week.

But that's really dependent on the quality of your studying and how fast you soak up and retain information.

I agree with everything that's been said. It's a tough adjustment but you essentially lose that precious "free time" in med school. There are some weeks better than others (which one is thankfully coming up after our exam Monday haha) but I just had a really tough past two weeks - it just so happened that a lot of my labs and competencies in addition to grand rounds all happened in that time frame and now I'm way behind on studying. So I'll have a busy weekend catching up lol. But that's med school. Always catching up and feeling guilty when you're not doing something school related.

We get out sometimes though. When @AlteredScale decides to be social hahaha. In all seriousness though, it's beyond stressful - an entirely new stress level - but I can say there's still no place I'd rather be. KCU is an awesome school and though it may not always feel like it, most of the people here want you to do well.

It's pretty intense.

Sure.

Week: Monday - Osteology Practical (~250+, 30 radiographs with another 75 extra terms). Tuesday through Friday - lecture 8am to 12pm, labs till 4 or 5pm. Our MSK midterm is monday. Friday is our osteopathic exam. Some groups also have to prepare for Grand Rounds presentations.

Daily: Wake up at 6am. 6-6:30am breakfast, 6:30-730am pass one of lecture slides for that day, Go to lectures, take notes and pay attention haha. Go to lab till 5pm. Do a 3rd pass of the notes until around 8 or 9pm. I save 9-12am for preparing for any competency for other classes or what not. If I don't have any comps to prep for I'll try to review everything from prior days. As an exam comes I use a pyramid technqiue to review all the material and save the weekend for questions and quick review.

I don't have some sort of timer for my schedule so if I decide to sleep in, I sleep in. Keeps me sane.

I like my schedule even though it's tiring because it expands my time to study but allows me to say "I need a few ours off" and pushes me to have high quality study time.

So yeah, there's not a single student or classmate here that studies day in and day out. Our curriculum is intense. I have a colleague at UCSF School of Medicine and there's is no where near as busy as ours.

Sure.

Week: Monday - Osteology Practical (~250+, 30 radiographs with another 75 extra terms). Tuesday through Friday - lecture 8am to 12pm, labs till 4 or 5pm. Our MSK midterm is monday. Friday is our osteopathic exam. Some groups also have to prepare for Grand Rounds presentations.

Daily: Wake up at 6am. 6-6:30am breakfast, 6:30-730am pass one of lecture slides for that day, Go to lectures, take notes and pay attention haha. Go to lab till 5pm. Do a 3rd pass of the notes until around 8 or 9pm. I save 9-12am for preparing for any competency for other classes or what not. If I don't have any comps to prep for I'll try to review everything from prior days. As an exam comes I use a pyramid technqiue to review all the material and save the weekend for questions and quick review.

I don't have some sort of timer for my schedule so if I decide to sleep in, I sleep in. Keeps me sane.

I like my schedule even though it's tiring because it expands my time to study but allows me to say "I need a few ours off" and pushes me to have high quality study time.

So yeah, there's not a single student or classmate here that studies day in and day out. Our curriculum is intense. I have a colleague at UCSF School of Medicine and there's is no where near as busy as ours.

what about things like working out/staying healthy haha. I assume you won't be able to work out everyday but I'd hope that there's some time to work out 4/5 days/wk for like 45mins to an hour

what about things like working out/staying healthy haha. I assume you won't be able to work out everyday but I'd hope that there's some time to work out 4/5 days/wk for like 45mins to an hour

My schedule is a little intense and most of my friends here don't do that.

Most everyone has time to work out. We have a gym on campus :)

My schedule is a little intense and most of my friends here don't do that.

Most everyone has time to work out. We have a gym on campus :)

So grand rounds are something else .... haha

So grand rounds are something else .... haha
Grand Rounds is a 3 week research project where you and 8 other people are given a rare case from MGH. You have to do research and present in front of class, faculty, and docs. If you go on youtube and search KCU Grand Rounds you can watch it. I did mine last Wednesday so I am done cause you only do it once. It killed an entire weekend though (which for KCU is a ton cause usually youre studing 10-12 hours a day on weekends).

Grand Rounds is a 3 week research project where you and 8 other people are given a rare case from MGH. You have to do research and present in front of class, faculty, and docs. If you go on youtube and search KCU Grand Rounds you can watch it. I did mine last Wednesday so I am done cause you only do it once. It killed an entire weekend though (which for KCU is a ton cause usually youre studing 10-12 hours a day on weekends).

Oh I knew that. I've seen them. I was just talking about how unique they are to KCU

Last time I'm asking this, sorry to be a bother! Anyone willing to split a room or host me for the night of 9/28? Thank you :shy: