Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dec 14th but I already bought myself an OSU medicine hoodie so I'm committed lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
DMU said I have until the 23 of December. But KCU said that I'll get another email in 5-7 business days and it will tell me how to secure my seat. So I don't know yet. How long do you have to make your decision?

I posted this link recently on this thread but you have 30 days to put down the acceptance deposit at KCU according to their site http://www.kcumb.edu/admissions/financial-aid/tuition-fees/com/

"
  • those accepted prior to Nov. 15 will have until Dec. 14;
  • those accepted between Nov. 15 and Jan. 14 will have 30 days;
  • those accepted between Jan. 15 and June 14 will have 14 days;
  • those accepted on or after June 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit."

I posted this link recently on this thread but you have 30 days to put down the acceptance deposit at KCU according to their site http://www.kcumb.edu/admissions/financial-aid/tuition-fees/com/

"
  • those accepted prior to Nov. 15 will have until Dec. 14;
  • those accepted between Nov. 15 and Jan. 14 will have 30 days;
  • those accepted between Jan. 15 and June 14 will have 14 days;
  • those accepted on or after June 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit."

Awesome. That's way helpful. Thanks!

Accepted!!!

... 2 years ago.

Time goes by pretty fast when you're having fun.

Anyone have questions for a 2nd year student?

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!!!

... 2 years ago.

How do you like KC?! Did you live in the century towers? I'm traveling from the west so I was just wondering! Is your class part of the new curriculum?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accepted!!!

... 2 years ago.

thoughts on the curriculum? :) i know you dont exactlly have anything to compare it to... but do you think the level of difficulty is actually going to be worth it on the boards?

and how are the faculty? great professors? mix of boring and great? i know the admissions staff and faculty I interviewed with were great, but id love to hear your opinion since im sure youve worked with plenty by now!

Accepted!!!

... 2 years ago.

1) Do you know of many students doing research at UMKC/KU med schools? Is it feasible during the school year in years 1 or 2?

2) So if you stay in KC for years 3 and 4, are you randomly assigned within KC to rotations as well? I mean for example I'm sure most prefer KU/UMKC spots, but not everyone can get in on those?

3) On average...how many hours are you studying a day?

4) Do you feel like the large class size has been a hindrance in any way?

1) Do you know of many students doing research at UMKC/KU med schools? Is it feasible during the school year in years 1 or 2?

2) So if you stay in KC for years 3 and 4, are you randomly assigned within KC to rotations as well? I mean for example I'm sure most prefer KU/UMKC spots, but not everyone can get in on those?

1) not slot with this new curriculum. At most maybe 0-5? If they are we don't see them because they probably head off to go to lab right after...that's the life right? Never ending work haha.

2) I'll leave that up to chizled to answer as he knows more about that than I do.

3) it depends on the week. If there's no exams maybe 4-5 hours after class. If there is an exam coming up ill ramp it up to 8 and maybe 12 hrs on the weekends. Results may vary.

4) I thought the large size would be but I actually know most of my class by name now, can talk to all of them, and hang out with any of them. It's a collaborative spirit for the most part. Obv some friendly competition is interspersed come game time ;)

Reactions: 1 user
@chizledfrmstone --I saw that if you decide to do rotations in KC for OMS3, it's preceptor based rotations. Are students still challenged a lot or is it more like glorified shadowing?

Reactions: 1 users
How do you like KC?! Did you live in the century towers? I'm traveling from the west so I was just wondering! Is your class part of the new curriculum?

Thanks in advance!

KC is actually pretty laid back. The people here certainly love their BBQ and sports. I spent more time in the books than going out so I'm probably not the best person to answer this question lol.

I didn't live in CT. It's a convenient location but the environment just wasn't for me.

Yes, the new curriculum started with our year. Read below for my take on it.

thoughts on the curriculum? :) i know you dont exactlly have anything to compare it to... but do you think the level of difficulty is actually going to be worth it on the boards?

and how are the faculty? great professors? mix of boring and great? i know the admissions staff and faculty I interviewed with were great, but id love to hear your opinion since im sure youve worked with plenty by now!

I really love the curriculum. The biggest draw for me was how we got to see everything twice. I learn best through repetition and in 2nd year it's nice to fill in the gaps you might have missed first year. You get a good foundation of the systems first year so when you hit pathology you can integrate things a little better. Imagine learning a disease and not having covered one of the systems it affects. At that point you're purely memorizing something and hoping to integrate it later.

I shadowed the summer after first year and I could follow along what the attending was telling me. A friend of mine had difficulty because they hadn't covered renal at that point.

The material we cover is very relevant to the boards. I can open up First Aid and it's practically an outline of the major points we cover in class. A majority of the students use FA + Pathoma + a question bank starting day one of 2nd year. You're pretty much familiarizing yourself with the resources early on.

1.) Research isn't my area. Alteredscale probably knows more about that.

2.) I believe you get assigned to a preceptor anywhere in KC. You can probably do electives at KU/UMKC.

3.) 1st year it was probably 4 hours after class (4-5 hours of class) . When I stopped going to class I ramped it up to 6. In 2nd year it's closer to 8 hours on a regular week and 10 hour on an exam week. The first 3 months are the roughest because you're still adjusting to the volume.

Here is a thread I started that would be useful for incoming students: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/ms1s-how-are-things-going-so-far.1170020/

@chizledfrmstone --I saw that if you decide to do rotations in KC for OMS3, it's preceptor based rotations. Are students still challenged a lot or is it more like glorified shadowing?

As a 2nd year I can't comment on this.

---

The schedule is a bit strenuous. I have friends who went to other schools in the west and they definitely had more time off. They would have a longer winter break and longer summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
do you guys think it's too late to send in a secondary here?

How long did it take to receive the information post acceptance? I'm on my 7th day here lol

It's getting a little late. If you have the cash and the stats then I say go for it.

I have a 31 mcat / 3.83 cGPA / 3.79 sGPA, would it be worth it? what's the usual turn around time to hear back from them after a secondary is complete?

So I got the follow-up email saying that my acceptance fee will be due on January 6th of next year. I got accepted last week so we have more than 30 days :)

I was just accepted into 2020, yippee! I talked with my friend who is a 4th year and she said that she had mostly hospital based rotations, not sure how accurate that "preceptor-based" comment is.

It's site specific and some of the major hospitals we had in the past aren't there anymore.

Denver, Colorado is considered a preceptor-based core site. Students are assigned to a preceptor and follow him/her to affiliated clinics and hospitals.

http://www.kcumb.edu/academics/college-of-osteopathic-medicine/clerkships/clerkship-sites/denver/

Accepted!!!

... 2 years ago.

How long is board prep? I have heard about professional board prep class lasting 6 weeks then 4 weeks of independent study. Is this accurate?

How long is board prep? I have heard about professional board prep class lasting 6 weeks then 4 weeks of independent study. Is this accurate?

its 2 weeks of board classes and 6 weeks of indep study I believe right @chizledfrmstone ?

Is there a reason KCU is losing major hospitals for rotation sites? Or just coincidence?

We lost one of the sites due to the new medical schools in michigan probably getting priority to those hospitals (MSU-CHM, Western Mich).

Not a big deal IMO, we are adding more. Las Vegas and some others I believe. So wouldn't be worried.

its 2 weeks of board classes and 6 weeks of indep study I believe right @chizledfrmstone ?

We lost one of the sites due to the new medical schools in michigan probably getting priority to those hospitals (MSU-CHM, Western Mich).

Not a big deal IMO, we are adding more. Las Vegas and some others I believe. So wouldn't be worried.
Makes sense! Thanks for the response! :)

How competitive is it to match at Doctor's hospital in Columbus for 3rd year?

How competitive is it to match at Doctor's hospital in Columbus for 3rd year?

Well it depends on how many people are interested in the site you want and how many spots there are.

You get assigned a number on a list and the computer randomly assigns people to sites. The faculty gets results that shows how many people got their first or second pick. I believe they do this a couple of times. I don't know if the faculty picks the list with the highest percent matched but it's usually 90%+. It is completely random and there is supposed to be no bias since all they can see is the number each student is assigned. The only way to ensure getting a site is to send a letter of hardship or appeal. I think each site can pick 1/2 of their students this way.

The Ohio rotations are being done differently this year.

There was a change in administration at OUHCOM and so at this point we don't know what sites we have in Ohio. In the first match you just voted for "Ohio region" and if you get Ohio you will have to do another match in December. In December we find out what sites we have. Some people were afraid to take this gamble because imagine getting Ohio in the first match but then not getting the site you want in the 2nd match.

So what happens if you don't match? You get a phone call and they email you the remaining sites. The remaining sites are given out based on GPA.

Got an email on 10/29 saying my application was submitted to the sub-committee for further review and the process would take up to 2 weeks. Which would mean yesterday. So I am really hoping for some good news on the interview front today.

Hey- I got that email too.. and it has been over 2 weeks now. I was wondering if you have gotten any follow-up emails? :/

II invite yesterday via email. Anyone know if its still early in the game or are they mostly full?

I'm trying to look for stats on how many applicants, interviews, acceptances, etc. but I cannot find. Anyone have a link?
I found this on the previous sdn but the link is not active anymore. I am curious about 2012, 2013 and 2014 data.... Anyone knew how much acceptances offers so far this cycle up to now?
Seems like the number of interviews do not correlate with the number of acceptances anymore...

KCUMB summarizes its admissions activity in a self assessment found at:
http://www.kcumb.edu/visitors/PDF/KCUMB_AOACOCA2011.pdf at page 35

...................................2011........ 2010.......... 2009
apps.......................... 3210...... 3108 ...........3109
Interview invites........ 766.......... 627.............. 828
interviews.................. 621......... 400............... 460
Accepted................... 478......... 356............... 423
pd matric fees............296 .........289................ 277

accepted/
interviews ..................77%......... 89% ..............92%

Hey- I got that email too.. and it has been over 2 weeks now. I was wondering if you have gotten any follow-up emails? :/
Nope. It's 4 weeks on Friday and still nothing. Kinda annoying but I can't really complain

Any chance we might get the iPad pro next year? :D

Well it depends on how many people are interested in the site you want and how many spots there are.

You get assigned a number on a list and the computer randomly assigns people to sites. The faculty gets results that shows how many people got their first or second pick. I believe they do this a couple of times. I don't know if the faculty picks the list with the highest percent matched but it's usually 90%+. It is completely random and there is supposed to be no bias since all they can see is the number each student is assigned. The only way to ensure getting a site is to send a letter of hardship or appeal. I think each site can pick 1/2 of their students this way.

The Ohio rotations are being done differently this year.

There was a change in administration at OUHCOM and so at this point we don't know what sites we have in Ohio. In the first match you just voted for "Ohio region" and if you get Ohio you will have to do another match in December. In December we find out what sites we have. Some people were afraid to take this gamble because imagine getting Ohio in the first match but then not getting the site you want in the 2nd match.

So what happens if you don't match? You get a phone call and they email you the remaining sites. The remaining sites are given out based on GPA.
What about for other states such as Kansas or Florida, do you rank the individual sites or just the state/city/region?

Any chance we might get the iPad pro next year? :D
I asked the same thing in the C/O 2020 thread. They are wicked nice, but freaking huge. I kind of hope not, personally. But the ability to truly multitask would be nice, however.