Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received my acceptance email today!!!! :soexcited: First acceptance and it feels amazing!! Super excited about this school!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted!!! I am so excited to put my deposit down and join this class!

Reactions: 7 users
Officially sent in all of my agreements and my first fee. Time to start looking for a place to live!!! I have no idea how to go about this. Any suggestions???

Century Towers is always nice and convenient. Briarcliff Apts, Cityview, Market Station are also used a lot. If you dont mind the longer drive overland park has some amazing places to live too. Gas is 1.80 a gallon here so dont worry about burning your pockets.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!

No way I'm making it through the rest of my work day now.

Reactions: 11 users
Accepted!:happy: Super excited!! Can't focus at meeting now haha

Reactions: 9 users
Congratz to all my newly accepted (future) classmates! Hope you guys choose KCU!

Reactions: 5 users
Got rejected from here, but really enjoyed meeting everyone at the interview. Best of luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! Interviewed 12/1. One of my top choices :)

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted into my first choice!! So delighted!! Can't wait!!

Reactions: 5 users
Got home.. Put my KCU shirt on.. Now I wait..

Congrats to all the newly accepted!

Reactions: 7 users
II today. Stoked about this school.

Century Towers is always nice and convenient. Briarcliff Apts, Cityview, Market Station are also used a lot. If you dont mind the longer drive overland park has some amazing places to live too. Gas is 1.80 a gallon here so dont worry about burning your pockets.
How much is the monthly rent for a studio apartment at CT?

How much is the monthly rent for a studio apartment at CT?

There are no studios, just one bedrooms and two bedrooms. The one bedrooms go for about $665-720 depending on which side of the building and the view you request. Two bedrooms range depending on the two different sized apartments available and I believe come out to about $500/month per person on average. The prices should be on their website and if not, you can always give them a call

Just wondering, would we get our acceptance rescinded, if we scored below a C in a non-prerequisite class? Or do we just need to pass?

Just wondering, would we get our acceptance rescinded, if we scored below a C in a non-prerequisite class? Or do we just need to pass?

Try and pass the class. I doubt it's that big of deal if you don't pass it but I wouldn't risk it. What course is it?

II received last week. Signed up for February which is the earliest date open. Looking forward to touring the school.

Can any current students comment on the area around KCU? I'm the type of person that wants to live right next to school for convenience and I loved KCU on my interview day, but to be honest the area around the school really freaked me out.

Can any current students comment on the area around KCU? I'm the type of person that wants to live right next to school for convenience and I loved KCU on my interview day, but to be honest the area around the school really freaked me out.
I agree! I was too hyped about the school to really take a look around the neighborhood. But I'm most likely going to live in CT because I won't have a car. Is this going to be feasible? lol life in KC without a car? Is the area safe enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try and pass the class. I doubt it's that big of deal if you don't pass it but I wouldn't risk it. What course is it?
It is a biostatistics course. I am definitely sure that I will pass, but it is possible that I get a mark below C. Fingers crossed, hope I get above C, so I don't have anything to worry about.

I agree! I was too hyped about the school to really take a look around the neighborhood. But I'm most likely going to live in CT because I won't have a car. Is this going to be feasible? lol life in KC without a car? Is the area safe enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Around the CT should be fine, they have security guards patrolling 24/7. I talked to a KCU security guard (ex-police officer in Kansas City) after my interview while waiting for my taxi to arrive, and he said that there hasn't been any incidents around the campus or CT in recent years. He also said that Kansas City is safe enough that he wouldn't mind sending his daughter there.

Reactions: 1 users
It is a biostatistics course. I am definitely sure that I will pass, but it is possible that I get a mark below C. Fingers crossed, hope I get above C, so I don't have anything to worry about.

I think alteredscale is in the med school mindset that below a C is considered failing. I know it's hard this time of year to keep it together, but spend less time on SDN/facebook/worrying in general and study for that final! Don't entertain the idea of getting below a C, doing well is totally within your control. Good luck!

I'm not sure there's really any decent places to live within a few blocks of KCU that's not CT... it's not a popular choice with students. But there are places within 5-10 minutes that are way better neighborhoods. CT is plenty safe and there's always security nearby. The area itself is not that dangerous in my opinion, just be cautious, that's all.

For those who have been pulled off from the waitlist (prior class), did you send in any update or letter of intent? Is there a priority list?

II received last week. Signed up for February which is the earliest date open. Looking forward to touring the school.
Call/email them, ask to be informed of any earlier interview dates if they come up. I was scheduled for late feb, and got it moved up to dec. 1st. Now I'm accepted!!!

Thanks a lot. How fast does housing typically fill up?

Thanks a lot. How fast does housing typically fill up?

I'm not sure how quickly CT fills up. They won't have an official number of spots available until current residents let them know if they're moving out or staying. Usually half of the residents move out. I would say if you're interested to definitely call them by January and get on the waitlist. People were changing their minds and things opened up until the first day of classes so it's not impossible to get last minute but if you like to plan ahead, definitely start looking now!

Hi, any current student or anyone knows how their clinical rotations works? Do you apply for your own during the 3rd or 4th year? Or you just get matched and stick with it for two years? Most ppl. get their first or second choices? Also how is their clinical research opportunities or just research opportunities? I know the website says there are a lot of research opportunities, but how is it really? Thank you very much!!

This may have been asked before, but I was wondering if any current students can shed some light on how much time OPP takes up for them. I know the labs are 2 hours a week, but how much time outside of lab is used on average for studying techniques? I'm between 2 schools so just trying to compare the two.

This may have been asked before, but I was wondering if any current students can shed some light on how much time OPP takes up for them. I know the labs are 2 hours a week, but how much time outside of lab is used on average for studying techniques? I'm between 2 schools so just trying to compare the two.

It's very minimal. If there's a competency coming up I'll spend maybe a few hours to really memorize the stuff. Outside of that it's kind of set to the side. Lectures are there but most aren't "live" lectures, just pre recorded.

Just got off the phone with admissions. The committee meets this Friday and decisions should be out by Monday at the latest. Hopes up, fingers crossed, nerves haywire...

Reactions: 1 users
This is the email I got from Patti regarding the waitlist :"
Regarding the wait list process, first students are put in order of MCAT and Science GPA with highest to lowest. Then we look at the interview and what observations were made by our interviewers. Next we look to see if a student has completed a master’s degree or has post bac coursework and factor in how well they did in those programs according to their graduate GPA. We then look at where the master’s degree was received and we want to see a graduate GPA of 3.50 or higher. We also look at how many science hours, if any, were taken at a community college, community service hours, medical experience whether work related or voluntary, etc.. There is no ranking, there is only an order based on MCAT and GPA. A student could be first in order but never pulled from the wait list or a student could be in the middle on the waitlist and accepted.

As you can see, many factors are considered when making the decision to bring someone off the wait list. We will look at the wait list late this week and then again late March/early April and then, again, through late spring/early summer as students withdraw.

I will tell you that if we go to the wait list late, say July, we will also look to see who has completed all paperwork. It is critical that students be ready to start when we call late in the cycle."

Reactions: 2 users
4 weeks today since complete. any one who received an interview have to wait longer than 4 weeks?

4 weeks today since complete. anyone who received an interview have to wait longer than 4 weeks?
I was complete around the same time. Haven't heard anything back. Did receive an email claiming that they are nearing the end of the interview season, but will try to go through the apps in order as they were received. Not sure exactly what that entails, but maybe they have given up all the available seats and it's their way of saying, thank you but too late! Losing hope, but who knows!

I did get two emails from them saying they were running behind on reviewing apps this year. Not sure why. Then again, a lot of people have received II. Maybe they have received more apps than usual.

Anyone who received acceptance emails recently receive the packet in the mail yet?

4 weeks today since complete. any one who received an interview have to wait longer than 4 weeks?
I was complete around the same time. Haven't heard anything back. Did receive an email claiming that they are nearing the end of the interview season, but will try to go through the apps in order as they were received. Not sure exactly what that entails, but maybe they have given up all the available seats and it's their way of saying, thank you but too late! Losing hope, but who knows!
Normally, they let you know in 4 weeks. When my 4 weeks was up, I still had not heard back from them, so I gave them a call. I was on hold for a minute, then they said I would receive an II later that day (and I did). I doubt the class is full just yet, but they've been extra busy lately and will likely be very busy this whole week so it might just be taking a bit longer than usual. You might still want to give them a call (they pick up) to find out what's going on with your app. They said interviews would continue in the spring. Don't lose hope.

Reactions: 2 users
Question. Once we've paid the matriculation fee, does that mean we're committed to going to KCU? Or is that essentially just another seat deposit?