Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know most of you have moved on with your matriculation plans by now, but if I were to apply this late to any other school (I'm waitlisted here), which schools should I target? All opinions welcome.
No later than 5 minutes after I posted, I got an II from Touro COM-NY. It's one of a handful of schools that I had applied and kind of given up on them. It made my day. Happy new year everyone :hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I know most of you have moved on with your matriculation plans by now, but if I were to apply this late to any other school (I'm waitlisted here), which schools should I target? All opinions welcome.

Have you tried VCOM-Auburn? I think that was the latest II I got for the most part.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you tried VCOM-Auburn? I think that was the latest II I got for the most part.
Thanks. I added it to a few others that I applied yesterday. Marian U-COM actually sent out an invitation to apply. Evidently, they still have a number of seats available.

Thanks. I added it to a few others that I applied yesterday. Marian U-COM actually sent out an invitation to apply. Evidently, they still have a number of seats available.

Marian is a great school. Def apply there.also try Dmu if you haven't applied there yet!

Interviewing in February. I know KCU has a relatively high acceptance rate post interview, but is this still the case for late interviews? Thanks!

Interviewing in February. I know KCU has a relatively high acceptance rate post interview, but is this still the case for late interviews? Thanks!

Last I spoke with admissions. Seems like they aren't trying to fill the class as fast as last cycle so perhaps that results in a better chance of acceptance later on in the year. There might be a few current students on the 2019 page that were accepted Jan Feb and you could as the question to them as well.

Last I spoke with admissions. Seems like they aren't trying to fill the class as fast as last cycle so perhaps that results in a better chance of acceptance later on in the year. There might be a few current students on the 2019 page that were accepted Jan Feb and you could as the question to them as well.

Thank you!!!

Do the student ambassadors give input to the admissions committee about the students they have on the campus tour?

Do the student ambassadors give input to the admissions committee about the students they have on the campus tour?

We as ambassadors do not meet or contact the committee. Our only contact is the admissions staff (which isn't the whole committee). As probably with any medical school, your interview starts the moment you step on the campus, so any sort of unprofessional activity can or may be reported. Obviously we do our best not to do that, y'all have gotten this far!

Edit: beyond the amazing admissions staff, we do not have any knowledge of who is actually on the committee!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Happy New Year everyone!

Anyways, does anyone roughly know how many spots are left? I have a late Jan interview.

Happy New Year everyone!

Anyways, does anyone roughly know how many spots are left? I have a late Jan interview.

If you're interviewing they for sure have at least however many spots are in the remain interview groups do I wouldn't worry about interview just to be put accepted into a WL spot!

Members don't see this ad :)
Acceptance deposit paid! Soooooooo excited!

Reactions: 3 users
I spoke to admissions today. Rachel said they are in a holding period with interview invitations until the end of this month. They will then access the class and decide if they are going to send out more interview invitations.

Do any first years (or second for that matter) have a more detailed example of the class schedule I could look at? I know prior posts have discussed the general flow, lecture ~8-12 or 1 then labs when the block includes them, but I would love to see a visual of the time scheduling for lectures and labs for the first year if possible. Thanks in advance if you can help!

Do any first years (or second for that matter) have a more detailed example of the class schedule I could look at? I know prior posts have discussed the general flow, lecture ~8-12 or 1 then labs when the block includes them, but I would love to see a visual of the time scheduling for lectures and labs for the first year if possible. Thanks in advance if you can help!

Like a picture of my schedule for the week?

Like a picture of my schedule for the week?
Sure, that would work! Just to have a visual of what the class/lab schedule looks like on paper.

I'm guessing the times are relatively invariable.

Thanks!

Sure, that would work! Just to have a visual of what the class/lab schedule looks like on paper.

I'm guessing the times are relatively invariable.

Thanks!

Well actually every week it changes quite a bit on the afternoon side. In biochem and immuno there was like not that much past 12. Then MSK hit and it was like "WHOAH" because all of a sudden the schedule went from 8-12 to like 8-4 or 5 haha.

But yeah gimme a sec I'll list out our upcoming schedule here.

Well actually every week it changes quite a bit on the afternoon side. In biochem and immuno there was like not that much past 12. Then MSK hit and it was like "WHOAH" because all of a sudden the schedule went from 8-12 to like 8-4 or 5 haha.

But yeah gimme a sec I'll list out our upcoming schedule here.
Awesome! Thanks so much and I look forward to having a peek!

Last edited:
Hey guys. I have been accepted to KCU and am planning to attend in the Fall, but I have a quick question. I initially was planning to take genetics this semester to fulfill a prerequisite for another school, however, since I no longer plan on attending that University, I would like to drop the course. Do you think that KCU would take issue with this, as genetics is not a prerequisite of theirs?

Hey guys. I have been accepted to KCU and am planning to attend in the Fall, but I have a quick question. I initially was planning to take genetics this semester to fulfill a prerequisite for another school, however, since I no longer plan on attending that University, I would like to drop the course. Do you think that KCU would take issue with this, as genetics is not a prerequisite of theirs?
If you are already Accepted, I would still take genetics. It will help you a ton once you start medical school.

If you are already Accepted, I would still take genetics. It will help you a ton once you start medical school.

Ewww no. Undergrad genetics caused me a lot of tears and misery and didn't help me at all with Biochem. They'll teach you what you need to know when you get here. In the meantime, take a literature class or a vacation or something :)

Awesome! Thanks so much and I look forward to having a peek!
Sorry for the delay, was caught up in studying.

Monday: OS lecture (9-10), GI Gross Anatomy (10-12), lunch, open time (1-3), GI gross anatomy lab (3-5)
Tuesday; GI embryo (8-10), GI gross anatomy (11-12), Standardized Patient Exam (340-420)
Wednesday: Clinical Med (8-11), GI physio (11-12), abdominal/renal clinical competency (2-3), GI Anatomy Lab (3-5)
Thursday: exam review, OS lab (3-5)
Friday: GI midterm exam (8-10)
Weekend: study for anatomy practical
Tuesday: anatomy practical, Designated study assignment

Ewww no. Undergrad genetics caused me a lot of tears and misery and didn't help me at all with Biochem. They'll teach you what you need to know when you get here. In the meantime, take a literature class or a vacation or something :)

She doesn't even go here!!

Also, just wanted to say, if anyone's interested in the Bioethics dual degree feel free to ask me any questions. We just started classes for it last week but YOU SHOULD ALL DO IT

Sorry for the delay, was caught up in studying.

Monday: OS lecture (9-10), GI Gross Anatomy (10-12), lunch, open time (1-3), GI gross anatomy lab (3-5)
Tuesday; GI embryo (8-10), GI gross anatomy (11-12), Standardized Patient Exam (340-420)
Wednesday: Clinical Med (8-11), GI physio (11-12), abdominal/renal clinical competency (2-3), GI Anatomy Lab (3-5)
Thursday: exam review, OS lab (3-5)
Friday: GI midterm exam (8-10)
Weekend: study for anatomy practical
Tuesday: anatomy practical, Designated study assignment
This is super helpful...thank you!!

First of all, congratulations and welcome!
I have to say, I'm with @SynapticDoctah on this. Genetics is becoming increasingly important in medicine, so knowing at least the basics is vital IMO. And it's not a prereq for KCU, but it is a recommended course. I would strongly advise you take it and learn as much from it as you can.

Just putting my two cents in, having taken genetics, biochem, microbio and so many other non-required science courses, here's the best advice I can give: do not take a course just because you think it might help. If it's something you're interested in, go for it! But I promise no matter how hard it is here, they always teach you everything you need to know for each section, boards, and how to be a good doctor. DO NOT stress about *anything* from now until the beginning of school. I never understood why people said relax before school starts but it is so necessary. You guys will be just fine, I promise!

Also, if you want an actual screen shot of our schedule vs. a random list of things, let me know. I'm a visual person so seeing it in a calendar is easier for me haha. Just message me :)

Just putting my two cents in, having taken genetics, biochem, microbio and so many other non-required science courses, here's the best advice I can give: do not take a course just because you think it might help. If it's something you're interested in, go for it! But I promise no matter how hard it is here, they always teach you everything you need to know for each section, boards, and how to be a good doctor. DO NOT stress about *anything* from now until the beginning of school. I never understood why people said relax before school starts but it is so necessary. You guys will be just fine, I promise!

Also, if you want an actual screen shot of our schedule vs. a random list of things, let me know. I'm a visual person so seeing it in a calendar is easier for me haha. Just message me :)

She doesn't even GO HERE!

Are there any course syllabus for first year and/or second year courses you guys can share with us or PM me. Not really acquainted with systems-based learning, but I'd like to get an idea of test break downs, content covered in each section, and what my week-to-week schedule may look like.

And I have seen the course catalogue, but I was hoping for something more specific than that.

Are there any course syllabus for first year and/or second year courses you guys can share with us or PM me. Not really acquainted with systems-based learning, but I'd like to get an idea of test break downs, content covered in each section, and what my week-to-week schedule may look like.

And I have seen the course catalogue, but I was hoping for something more specific than that.

The course syllabus doesn't cover the stuff you're actually looking for and/or the material and how it's presented to you may change (because this curriculum is a bit more dynamic than others) so I'm going to give you a break down here.

Week to week schedule can vary a lot. The first two sections (biochem and immuno) essentially follow an 8-12pm schedule. Biochem was two weeks. First midterm on Monday, final on the following Monday of the second week. Immuno followed the same pattern except it was three weeks. There was obviously very little in the way of anatomy and clinical medicine labs since those two subjects are not systems and are intro classes.

When your first system hits (musculoskeletal) then your schedule starts to fill out and goes from a 8-12pm to an 8-5pm schedule. Usually what happens is 2 of the 5 days of the week you'll have back to back two hour labs (either anatomy, clinical medicine, or osteopathic skills). The other days are 8-12pm unless there's more lectures in the afternoon or if you have skill check offs (which are essentially oral exams of things you learn in lab). MSK was 5-6 weeks with one mid term, one final, and an anatomy practical. Next block was cardiopulmonary which was the same testing schedule but way more questions (120 questions for the midterm).

In terms of context, there's no real..pattern. First year covers essentially everything in that system (embryo, physio, anatomy, histo, immuno, biochem, basic clinical med) minus pharm and pathology and clinal dx. That's how essentially every system has worked thus far. The speed and volume ramp up in MSK and it just gets faster and faster, right now in GI, we have had around 20 lectures in 1.5 weeks(300-400 slides) and we have and exam this Friday and anatomy practical next Tuesday. I don't know if I've spent a weekend "off" since school started (and the breaks).

Again when you guys start the curriculum will have been modified based on our reviews of how we did or did not like how it was taught or the sequencing of the lectures was a bit weird.

If you have more questions feel free to PM me!

Do you think the huge class size affects residencies or match rates?

Nope. This school has had a near 100% match rate with the class size. This is because the school has been constantly outperforming the majority of DO schools in board exams and the clinical rotation sites set up for us always always have inpatient blocks that give us clinical experience necessary to handle residency. Also fourth year is literally all elective time. Mix that in with a decent research faculty, being in a city with two neighboring MD schools that'll let you do research there as well, solid community services provided within the curriculum through Score 1, a ton of leadership opportunities that aren't just student interest groups, and you have some very well qualified applicants going into the match process.

EDIT: Dr Dubin has spoken to us. He expects the year before us (first class to experience te new curriculum) to be in the top 5 DO schools for COMLEX scores. He expects our class to be number one. The curriclum itself is extremely board intensive. From the first block you are given a certain amount of time per question and while it will start with a decent (maybe 25% of the questions) being first order, when you reach Renal there won't be a single first order or second order question, there will be two answers that are essentially right but you need to pick the BEST answer based on the patient's situation.

Reactions: 6 users
The course syllabus doesn't cover the stuff you're actually looking for and/or the material and how it's presented to you may change (because this curriculum is a bit more dynamic than others) so I'm going to give you a break down here.

Week to week schedule can vary a lot. The first two sections (biochem and immuno) essentially follow an 8-12pm schedule. Biochem was two weeks. First midterm on Monday, final on the following Monday of the second week. Immuno followed the same pattern except it was three weeks. There was obviously very little in the way of anatomy and clinical medicine labs since those two subjects are not systems and are intro classes.

When your first system hits (musculoskeletal) then your schedule starts to fill out and goes from a 8-12pm to an 8-5pm schedule. Usually what happens is 2 of the 5 days of the week you'll have back to back two hour labs (either anatomy, clinical medicine, or osteopathic skills). The other days are 8-12pm unless there's more lectures in the afternoon or if you have skill check offs (which are essentially oral exams of things you learn in lab). MSK was 5-6 weeks with one mid term, one final, and an anatomy practical. Next block was cardiopulmonary which was the same testing schedule but way more questions (120 questions for the midterm).

In terms of context, there's no real..pattern. First year covers essentially everything in that system (embryo, physio, anatomy, histo, immuno, biochem, basic clinical med) minus pharm and pathology and clinal dx. That's how essentially every system has worked thus far. The speed and volume ramp up in MSK and it just gets faster and faster, right now in GI, we have had around 20 lectures in 1.5 weeks(300-400 slides) and we have and exam this Friday and anatomy practical next Tuesday. I don't know if I've spent a weekend "off" since school started (and the breaks).

Again when you guys start the curriculum will have been modified based on our reviews of how we did or did not like how it was taught or the sequencing of the lectures was a bit weird.

If you have more questions feel free to PM me!
Biochem in 2 weeks...wow haha. I guess that's med school. Are you required to memorize all the pathways (glycolysis, TCA, gluconeogenis, etc.) including organic structures and enzymes for the test?

Also, do any current students know the average USMLE step 1 score for KCU? I found COMLEX data online, but not USMLE scores (just pass rates).

Biochem in 2 weeks...wow haha. I guess that's med school. Are you required to memorize all the pathways (glycolysis, TCA, gluconeogenis, etc.) including organic structures and enzymes for the test?

You need to know all the pathways but you don't need to know the actual organic structures. What's emphasized is where things go, so specific amino acids end up as succinate or they are branch chained. Essentially looking more so at places in the pathawys where a dysnfunctional enzyme whic cause either a build up of reactants or a lack of product that may lead to clinical presentation.

I think what makes it harder is to learn what you learned in undergrad in smaller amount of time while adding clinical correlates to the info (disease, enzyme, common presentation).

Biochem will sort of hit you like a bulldozer but you'll survive. Most everyone did!