Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@reunic wow! In sure you'll be fine with the work load and I totally get your love of medicine. I myself enjoy reading up on the field specifically within mucosal immunology (thats what my honors thesis was in at UCSD). :)

But yes, enjoy your "free time". It'll only gets busier from here!

Members don't see this ad.

@reunic wow! In sure you'll be fine with the work load and I totally get your love of medicine. I myself enjoy reading up on the field specifically within mucosal immunology (thats what my honors thesis was in at UCSD). :)

But yes, enjoy your "free time". It'll only gets busier from here!
Nice! I'm a microbiologist/immunologist. I teach mainly micro, but also cell/molecular, genetics, and A&P. I looooove micro/immuno. My graduate work was with pathogenic E coli strains (EHEC and ETEC...hence my profile picture!!), Shigella, and associated effector proteins!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Nice! I'm a microbiologist/immunologist. I teach mainly micro, but also cell/molecular, genetics, and A&P. I looooove micro/immuno. My graduate work was with pathogenic E coli strains (EHEC and ETEC...hence my profile picture!!), Shigella, and associated effector proteins!

Wow! Very cool! I remember taking a medical micro research class at UCSD and rdifferentiating b/t EHEC and ETEC affects in the intestine was insane. Actually, our next door PI was Dr. Kim Barrett who helped author many GI/physio textbooks!

It may actually drive you insane knowing we don't even touch micro and path until the end of the year :( it def did for me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any second years have powerpoints/notes from their first and second years they'd be willing to share? My brother in law went to KUMed and received a file containing all notes and handouts received for prior classes during years 1 and 2. He gave them to me, but obviously I would prefer having the materials specific to KCU.

The best advice I received before I started at KCU is that medical school is a marathon, not a sprint. I'm only just now starting to understand how true that is. We all love learning and love medicine -- that's why we're in medical school. But no matter how much you love it, you're going to get burned out. That's just the truth. Today is the first day I've taken off in 6 weeks. And we've been at this relentless pace since August.

The best thing you can do is NOT to pre read any notes or textbooks. It's to fill your own cup, as the cliche says. Enjoy your hobbies. Spend time with your family. Go outside. You need to have something left this time next year.

You -- and any other almost- first year reading this -- can be as successful as you want to be without pre studying. I was an English major who didn't even know the heart had 4 chambers, and I've been quite successful here. I never regret that I didn't pre-study or take any higher level science courses. I DO regret that I didn't take enough time to enjoy my old life before med school started. It's a long 4 years, don't worry about it before you have to.

Reactions: 9 users
Just a few quick questions, how long do you spend studying, outside of attending lectures and labs, on a typical day?

And also, do you think it is necessary to do research, in order to successfully match into residencies? The thing is, I am a Canadian citizen, and I can only apply to residencies that sponsor the h1b visa, so that really limits my options.

Just a few quick questions, how long do you spend studying, outside of attending lectures and labs, on a typical day?

And also, do you think it is necessary to do research, in order to successfully match into residencies? The thing is, I am a Canadian citizen, and I can only apply to residencies that sponsor the h1b visa, so that really limits my options.

Time spent studying really depends on where you are with the block. If it's the beginning of a course then will usually spend a maybe a few hours going over the material and reading up on the next days lectures. If an exam is getting close that time starts to increase to about 5-6 hours and then maybe 5 days our you're putting in 6-8. When the weekend hits before the Monday exam you're sprinting from the time you wake up till you go to bed.

Research requirements is general dependent on the specialty and type of residency. If you're looking to do Primary care (peds/IM/FM) at any program then research expectations are quite minimal. IM at a university programs, neurosurgery, ortho surgery, ENT, derm and things of the sort usually have research expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'd suggest research in order to be competitive especially in the new Match, but get a good feel down for medical school and how you are performing before you think about starting research. Some do it during first year but more will probably end up doing research 2nd and 3rd year

Reactions: 1 user
Time spent studying really depends on where you are with the block. If it's the beginning of a course then will usually spend a maybe a few hours going over the material and reading up on the next days lectures. If an exam is getting close that time starts to increase to about 5-6 hours and then maybe 5 days our you're putting in 6-8. When the weekend hits before the Monday exam you're sprinting from the time you wake up till you go to bed.

Research requirements is general dependent on the specialty and type of residency. If you're looking to do Primary care (peds/IM/FM) at any program then research expectations are quite minimal. IM at a university programs, neurosurgery, ortho surgery, ENT, derm and things of the sort usually have research expectations.

So then, what is the typical lecture schedule? If we start at 8 am, and end at 5 pm, then study 6-8 hours afterwards, it seems like a lot... When do classes and labs usually end?

I'd suggest research in order to be competitive especially in the new Match, but get a good feel down for medical school and how you are performing before you think about starting research. Some do it during first year but more will probably end up doing research 2nd and 3rd year

Do residencies want to see the research done during medical school, or is it okay to have it prior? I've worked full time in a research lab for two years and will be the lead author on two publications and co author on 3-4 others. I would rather put all of my focus on school than do research but do want to be competitive enough for top programs.

So then, what is the typical lecture schedule? If we start at 8 am, and end at 5 pm, then study 6-8 hours afterwards, it seems like a lot... When do classes and labs usually end?
Lecture is from 8-12 usually, some days it starts at 10. Labs will be 2-4 days a week and go from 1-5. You study on average 5-6 hrs per day outside of class but a lot of that time comes on the weekends. If I have lecture and lab until 5 I am only going to get 2-3 hrs of studying in that day. I have to make up that study time on the weekend. Understand this schedule varies from system to system, some take more some take less and some systems don't have anatomy lab integrated into curriculum.

Do residencies want to see the research done during medical school, or is it okay to have it prior? I've worked full time in a research lab for two years and will be the lead author on two publications and co author on 3-4 others. I would rather put all of my focus on school than do research but do want to be competitive enough for top programs.

They want to see that you can keep up doing research in medical school. How much productivity is required is in all honestly variable across residencies and program type (academic vs. community).

If you have questions about feel free to PM so we can keep this thread on topic in regards to the school!

Just to weigh in on a few of these topics from a second year perspective:

How much to study/scheduling - What has worked well for me these first few years is to treat med school like work. I generally put in 10-12 hours a day, every day, but that includes going to class, going to lab, eating lunch, etc; and when I go home, I'm done. So, some days you have a lot of lab and you only do a few hours of studying outside of class, and that's OK (and some of that studying may be spending more time in lab, when it comes to anatomy). Other days or sections that are less lab-heavy include more self-directed time for reading and note-taking. I still do 10-12 hours a day on the weekends as well, although sometimes less if I'm feeling all right about the material and/or just really need to hit up a happy hour :) It sounds like a lot, but if you study consistently it makes your life a whole lot easier.

Research- I tried to do bench research my first year and it was really hard- I don't recommend it unless that is your sole extra-curricular activity. You just don't have a lot of time to fit in those days where you need to spend 8 straight hours in lab running Western blots (which inevitably fail about 25% of the time lol). A good alternative is clinical or educational research, which requires less/no bench time and can be done on a computer while you're studying. You can also do one of the two fellowship programs offered here to do a year of anatomy or OS/clinical skills research, or there are national programs like HHMI scholars that give you a chance to do a year of research with a stipend and a mentor of your choosing. As mentioned above, not all specialties require it (or even care if you did it at all), it just depends on what you are interested in. Primary care specialties (family med, peds, even most OB and some IM programs) don't rank it highly on their list when deciding on residency applicants.

Hey guys! Need help fast!

So I had my titers done two weeks ago, and my physician gave me the results yesterday. Unfortunately, there is one problem: the hep b did not have a quantitative titer, just "Reactive". Admissions told me that I have until tomorrow to get the quantitative results, but I just spoke with my doctor and she says that there is no quantitative titer for hep b, and that she has never seen one in all of her years of practice. She said she does not know of any lab that will have a quantitative titer for hep b either. So now I'm stuck with a deadline of tomorrow and I don't really know where to go for this. I emailed the admissions person about this and am still waiting to hear back. Any ideas of what I can do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Need help fast!

So I had my titers done two weeks ago, and my physician gave me the results yesterday. Unfortunately, there is one problem: the hep b did not have a quantitative titer, just "Reactive". Admissions told me that I have until tomorrow to get the quantitative results, but I just spoke with my doctor and she says that there is no quantitative titer for hep b, and that she has never seen one in all of her years of practice. She said she does not know of any lab that will have a quantitative titer for hep b either. So now I'm stuck with a deadline of tomorrow and I don't really know where to go for this. I emailed the admissions person about this and am still waiting to hear back. Any ideas of what I can do?
Labreqs.com pay and go to labcorp for draw...if you hurry can get quant titers by tomorrow.

So apparently they withdraw apps if you don't have your vaccinations by the deadline???

I'm sure if you called and talked to admissions and explained why you haven't gotten your vaccinations and/or your plans for getting them they would work with you

Guys ! I screwed up. I forgot to take care of the paper work that are due on May 1st. I totally forgot about it . I just received an application withdrawal email. I was admitted in October , and I have been set on attending kcu since then. What shou i do ? Need help asap

Guys ! I screwed up. I forgot to take care of the paper work that are due on May 1st. I totally forgot about it . I just received an application withdrawal email. I was admitted in October , and I have been set on attending kcu since then. What shou i do ? Need help asap
What do you think? Call the school.

What do you think? Call the school.

The office is closed, I will call again in the mornin. It is completely my fault..... Does anyone know if school would give me a chance to file in the paper work late at this point ?

The office is closed, I will call again in the mornin. It is completely my fault..... Does anyone know if school would give me a chance to file in the paper work late at this point ?

i left them a message and emailed them. apparently i missed one vaccination after i submitted all my docs. only thing that was missing and they sent the withdrawal email...

That can't be right. I didn't have all my stuff done by May 1. I did submit all my paperwork and still needed another hep b shot and Titers as well as an additional varicella booster. I wonder if it's a default email for anyone not completely done with paperwork. Call them asap and get it figured out quickly. I hope for your sake that it was just a mistake.

That can't be right. I didn't have all my stuff done by May 1. I did submit all my paperwork and still needed another hep b shot and Titers as well as an additional varicella booster. I wonder if it's a default email for anyone not completely done with paperwork. Call them asap and get it figured out quickly. I hope for your sake that it was just a mistake.

Looks like the director is handling each case...wow

Were you able to speak with them this morning then? What was the verdict?

Ms Harper won't pick up. Straight to voicemail! Left a message

Anyone else have any luck?

Edit

Spoke to Ms Harper. Offered a spot on wait list, wow! Rescinded my acceptance but keep the $2000 in deposits...makes sense

Last edited by a moderator:
Any students with kids and a stay-at-home spouse that I can talk to about finances?

Edit

Spoke to Ms Harper. Offered a spot on wait list, wow! Rescinded my acceptance but keep the $2000 in deposits...makes sense

not like it's their fault. they send you reminder emails with clear deadlines. actually, during the pre-interview talk they literally told us to keep up with the post-acceptance paperwork.

i still haven't finished all the paperwork by the deadline and i'm perfectly ok with them, but i have 95% of it in and i have been talking back and forth with admissions since march. they can provide some leeway if you have demonstrated you have been showing due diligence as a matriculant.

Edit

I'm so sorry that happened! Let us know if you end up getting back in off the wait-list...

not like it's their fault. they send you reminder emails with clear deadlines. actually, during the pre-interview talk they literally told us to keep up with the post-acceptance paperwork.

i still haven't finished all the paperwork by the deadline and i'm perfectly ok with them, but i have 95% of it in and i have been talking back and forth with admissions since march. they can provide some leeway if you have demonstrated you have been showing due diligence as a matriculant.

yup ive been talking to them since january as well. i made sure to update progress once every two weeks actually! But no leeway at all, even though I submitted all my documents. I was just missing one titer

honestly that seems a bit excessive if you have been keeping contact with them especially if it is over a titer. My titer wasn't completed until September. The Hep B series takes 6 months to complete anyways. Did you get a chance to actually speak with someone?

honestly that seems a bit excessive if you have been keeping contact with them especially if it is over a titer. My titer wasn't completed until September. The Hep B series takes 6 months to complete anyways. Did you get a chance to actually speak with someone?
I've been in contact with Ms Denney via email and I spoke to Ms Harper over the phone after I received the withdrawal email. Just blown they can take $2000 and can't give me a day for something an arbitrary date

Any current students heard much about the Denver rotation sites from upperclassmen? I know it's preceptor based and that's about it lol

Also, any info or updates on the possible Vegas rotation sites?

I just received an email telling me that I need to submit all the necessary matriculation documents by May 16th in order to stay on the waitlist. Does anyone know if this includes immunizations and sending in official transcripts? I'm not sure if it is worth all the trouble, if there is only low possibilities of getting picked up.

I just received an email telling me that I need to submit all the necessary matriculation documents by May 16th in order to stay on the waitlist. Does anyone know if this includes immunizations and sending in official transcripts? I'm not sure if it is worth all the trouble, if there is only low possibilities of getting picked up.
I'm pretty sure it does include immunizations and titers, as well as the transcripts. The comments that they made during interviews were that if you get waitlisted you could be pulled up at any time. And they're more likely to choose somebody who's already got everything in than somebody who doesn't.

You just have to respond back by May 16th. You are not required to have everything in by May 16th.

Hey just wondering, what's the attendance policy at KCUMB this year? Is it mandatory?

Hey just wondering, what's the attendance policy at KCUMB this year? Is it mandatory?
I got this from earlier:

More than 50% of the class needs to be present. Though this isn't much of a hard and fast rule. Essentialy, if the professor wants, they can take attendance via iClicker and see how many people are there. If it's less than 50% they have the right to withold from posting the lecture recordings on medasite.

Dress code policy is discussed above in my review.

That still stands, theyve kinda gotten a bit more strict about grand rounds attendance though.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
Like attending the presentations of the other groups?

I realize this is the thread for the incoming class this fall, but I just finished up second year at KCU and am willing to do a little AMA here if people have any questions about the pre-clinical curriculum as a whole or just whatever. Feel free to PM me as well if you want to ask something privately.

Congrats to everyone coming here in the fall!

Reactions: 1 users
I realize this is the thread for the incoming class this fall, but I just finished up second year at KCU and am willing to do a little AMA here if people have any questions about the pre-clinical curriculum as a whole or just whatever. Feel free to PM me as well if you want to ask something privately.

I have a question!

Can you help me with my csa?

lol

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users

How are rotation sites determined and when do you find out what site you get?

How are rotation sites determined and when do you find out what site you get?

Relevant to everyone:

Sites are determined via a lottery system. We do a mock vote/lottery around October so people know how many people are interested in each site as their first and second choice. That way we can get an idea as to which sites will likely be competitive for rotations. Then first and second choices have to be submitted sometime around the end of November. You find out whether you matched to one of your choices around early December (about a week after submissions are due). If you don't match to one of your choices, then you get to pick which site you go to out of whatever is left over based on your GPA. So the initial lottery is random, but the second one is based on how well you do in classes. Most people match to one of their choices. I think my class had about 10 of ~260 not match. A previous year had everyone match, and a few years earlier had a ton of people not match (I think around 25-30). It really just depends what your class wants. Also, after everyone knows where they are going, they can trade with another person until a certain time (not sure when).

Relevant to some:

Between the mock lottery and the actual lottery, people can write either statements of intent to site directors or appeals to go to a certain location to a student committee. Site directors have the right to fill half of their rotation spots based on statements of intent. For example, there's a rotation at Fort Myers, FL that has 10 spots and the director fills 5 of those with students who can speak Spanish well every year. The other half are filled through the lottery. The appeals are read by a group of 3 students and they decide who will be given permission to be guaranteed a spot at that location. Typically, that isn't granted unless there is a medical reason for being somewhere or some kind of family emergency (ie, being near a dying parent or sibling). A lot of people try to appeal so they can be closer to family or because they bought a house, but apparently those usually get shot down. There's no way to find out if you were chosen for one of these 2 reasons, the only time you know the result is if you don't match to the site you appealed/wrote a letter of intent to.

If you're interested in one of the fellowships (anatomy or OMM), you can rotate anywhere, but you will be in KC during the year of the anatomy fellowship and either Kansas City or Joplin for OMM. The OMM will probably change back to KC only once Joplin has a few classes make it though.

Additionally, there are a certain number of spots in KC set aside for people in the MBA. In the past, MBA students were required to stay in KC, so that took up some of the rotation spots. Now people can go to other sites and watch the classes for MBA online. Idk if this means spots will not be guaranteed in the future, but they were for my classmates. Also, bioethics students weren't previously guaranteed a spot in KC, but maybe they are now? Not sure about that one. I've talked to people about the bioethics masters less than the MBA.

Tracks: If you want to do one of the specialty tracks (surgery, ob/gyn, peds, etc.) you MUST match to KC. The match happens first, and if you match to KC you can apply for one of the tracks if your GPA is good enough. If you want to do a track but don't match KC, then you can try and trade with someone, otherwise you're out of luck.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Hopefully that helps!

Reactions: 5 users
I'll add that next year we won't find out until February. Which is not ideal but it is what it is.

Some random questions for you @Stagg737

-did you go to lecture? if not, how did you study instead?
-did you do board prep (First Aid, Pathoma, Firecracker, etc) along with normal material?
-how are students that want to do research tackling that issue with the short first summer?
-how common is it for students to study "together" or get together before an exam? is that even a thing?
-any big picture tips on succeeding in this curriculum?
-are any of the campus student orgs worth it?