Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So the cases can vary from anything and everything. I absolutely loved using MedScape Ethics Study (just search that on SDN). This isn't about getting right answer for the question as supposed to just having a well thought out opinion on things that will be important to your every day practice as a physician. For example, theres a HUGE talk about physician assisted suicide right now since Oregon had some a laws passed for it.

There's also the fact that there's increasing awareness about the high suicide and depression rate amongst doctors and medical students. You should have an understanding and opinion on why you think this is the cause and what could be done to change such an issue through the medical training.
Saw physician assisted suicide on the feedback forum! Very hot topic for sure. Interesting about the suicide rates though.. I'll have to definitely read up on that!

Members don't see this ad.

Saw physician assisted suicide on the feedback forum! Very hot topic for sure. Interesting about the suicide rates though.. I'll have to definitely read up on that!

I interviewed with the bioethics professor last year. We had discussions around a number of topics, but they were actually really fun. After "why medicine", it was all ethics. I didn't prepare other than to have read current events and defend my position while being able to see the validity or the other side. It's easy to spot a "coached" conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed with the bioethics professor last year. We had discussions around a number of topics, but they were actually really fun. After "why medicine", it was all ethics. I didn't prepare other than to have read current events and defend my position while being able to see the validity or the other side. It's easy to spot a "coached" conversation.

Personally, that actually sounds like an enjoyable interview. My university offered a Medical Ethics class that I took where we were assigned controversies and required to discuss and defend our opinions. And then we switched sides and had to defend the opposite side of the argument. Sounds really similar to the interview format!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, that actually sounds like an enjoyable interview. My university offered a Medical Ethics class that I took where we were assigned controversies and required to discuss and defend our opinions. And then we switched sides and had to defend the opposite side of the argument. Sounds really similar to the interview format!

Don't get me wrong, they aren't all like that. You may have a more traditional clinician interview. You don't know who you are going to interview with until after lunch. Either way, the interview is low stress and conversational. @AlteredScale would attest to that as well. I never felt under pressure to perform during my interview.

Reactions: 2 users
Just be you and yall will be fine. Don't over do it.

So the cases can vary from anything and everything. I absolutely loved using MedScape Ethics Study (just search that on SDN). This isn't about getting right answer for the question as supposed to just having a well thought out opinion on things that will be important to your every day practice as a physician. For example, theres a HUGE talk about physician assisted suicide right now since Oregon had some a laws passed for it.

There's also the fact that there's increasing awareness about the high suicide and depression rate amongst doctors and medical students. You should have an understanding and opinion on why you think this is the cause and what could be done to change such an issue through the medical training.

I found this which was very helpful: http://www.medscape.com/features/slideshow/public/ethics2012#1

Definitely read up on ethics, I think it is a big factor on me coming here. For my interview last year, I spoke about dogs with my interviewer for half the allotted time! The most important is being able to carry on a conversation.

II just now! Wow, didn't think THAT would happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your tenacity in the application process inspired me to put out the same effort! Congrats!

Anyone know how long it usually takes to hear back after the interview?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know how they will select who will be placed at KC vs. Joplin campus? I don't remember selecting anything on the secondary.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know how they will select who will be placed at KC vs. Joplin campus? I don't remember selecting anything on the secondary.

The schools waiting on provisional accred of the Joplin site from COCA before they are allowed to provide it as an option for applicants. Supposedly should happen by next week. Once that does happen it will appear on the secondary. If you already submitted im sure they will send you a notification email to let them know which location you want to be at.

If you do say you have no preference, the deans of both sites will determine where to place once you get accepted. If you are rejected from one site (kc) you are unfortunately rejected from both. All interviews are occuring in KC this year.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

If I am flying in the day before the interview and have to check out of the hotel by noon the day of the interview, do you know where I can put my bags/luggage? Has anyone had this problem before?

If I am flying in the day before the interview and have to check out of the hotel by noon the day of the interview, do you know where I can put my bags/luggage? Has anyone had this problem before?

Leave it at the hotel baggage in the lobby area.

The school will hold onto it for your interview so that you can leave from school to the airport. Much easier than going back to the hotel and many people did it last year (I saw them on campus after their interviews with their stuff haha). You can call the school to confirm but I'm pretty sure that's still an option!

There is luggage storage available at the school on the day of your interview.

I did it for one of my interviews and I was fine. Just keep it hidden in your luggage. I'm planning on doing this for all of my interviews in general.

Or get a TSA lock to put on your suitcase.

Is that reliable because I'm probably going to leave my laptop in my luggage?

I'm sure the hotel or school can store it but do you really need to bring your laptop for such a (presumably) short trip? If you're really concerned, I wouldn't bother bringing it. If you need access to a computer, most hotels and the school have computers you could use. Just an idea.

I was complete 8/2 and my 4 weeks is coming up. I don't get this school...I have a 3.88/506 and have seen ppl with lower stats getting IIs (im sure you're all great!), but just doesn't make sense to me :vomit:

You must resist the urge to give into this type of thinking. We really have no clue what the reasoning or logic is behind any schools admissions process, if there is any. We must resist feeling entitled to an interview and remain humble in this process or risk being humbled!

Reactions: 10 users
You must resist the urge to give into this type of thinking. We really have no clue what the reasoning or logic is behind any schools admissions process, if there is any. We must resist feeling entitled to an interview and remain humble in this process or risk being humbled!
Agreed. I see people on so many threads saying "why haven't I gotten my II?!" As if it's not like only 5-15% of the entire applicant pool get one.

I was complete 8/2 and my 4 weeks is coming up. I don't get this school...I have a 3.88/506 and have seen ppl with lower stats getting IIs (im sure you're all great!), but just doesn't make sense to me :vomit:

It can be very frustrating no doubt. But as it has been stated, we have no clue what goes on behind the doors of admissions.

From my interactions with them, they want someone who fits the mission and goals of the university and moreover, they want someone whom they know will be a good fit to the dynamics of the incoming class. If you did not try hard via your secondary to convince them that your experiences have culminated into an applicant that resonates with the schools vision then it won't matter if your Mcat is in the 90th percentile they'll put you on a hold/alternate pile.

Agreed. I see people on so many threads saying "why haven't I gotten my II?!" As if it's not like only 5-15% of the entire applicant pool get one.

If you get into MSU will you still go to this interview?!

KCU is one of top schools so I did put in effort into the secondaries and turned it around quickly. I don't feel entitled to an interview, I think the opportunity to practice medicine is an immense privilege. It is just frustrating because every school has its own agenda and policies that make who gets an interview/acceptance less about merit.

Wow.

Reactions: 5 users
The process isn't just about MCAT scores and GPAs

It can be very frustrating no doubt. But as it has been stated, we have no clue what goes on behind the doors of admissions.

From my interactions with them, they want someone who fits the mission and goals of the university and moreover, they want someone whom they know will be a good fit to the dynamics of the incoming class. If you did not try hard via your secondary to convince them that your experiences have culminated into an applicant that resonates with the schools vision then it won't matter if your Mcat is in the 90th percentile they'll put you on a hold/alternate pile.

As a student, what would you say is there mission and goals? Not what the website says, but what you think.

Let me give you a simple example: Instate Medical Schools who take almost exclusively their residents only. Why? State funding and a need for physicians in that state. Less about merit more about "fit/residency/whatever you want to call it"

Yeah that's called fulfilling a schools mission by getting qualified individuals (merit), that have unique experiences (other factors) and that are more likely to stay in the state to practice.

Exactly what I said.....schools fulfill their own agenda/mission and it is LESS about merit

Never mind you know exactly how the admissions committees pick their students.

As a student, what would you say is there mission and goals? Not what the website says, but what you think.

They definitely want a class that is supportive to each other and to the neighbors it serves at large which has been a struggling community for many years now (the northeast KC metro area). I would also say they want a class who is willing to work on their own. The curriculum is tailored in such a way that we don't need to be in school 8-5pm and instead are giving reading assignments where we come back and apply that knowledge in clinical scenarios.

Our class had a 27.8 Mcat, last year it was a 28. I can def tell that they want to continuously bump that avg up but they are hell bent on making sure that they do not lose the humanistic aspect of their class on the way there. It's not just about academic stats, I've seen applicants with 35+ mcats get the cut. So the admissions goal isn't to collect the highest Mcat scores which I'm sure they could do.

Reactions: 8 users
Just checking in while I play the waiting game.... good to meet you all!

complete 8/17