Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@AlteredScale is on the committee and in the next two weeks will tell you what the decision on your candidacy is and how they made the decision.

Edit: in all serious you can't expect a serious answer because no one really knows how decisions are made man. Go to the interview be yourself and see what happens.
@AlteredScale are you allowed to tell us anything in regards between correlations from II to acceptances? Or how many II you guys gave out last year and how many acceptances offered?

Members don't see this ad.

For those that interviewed already, what time did you guys end? I'm trying to make a reservation for a pickup time from super shuttle, but i have no clue when to ask for them to come!

Reactions: 1 user
@AlteredScale is on the committee and in the next two weeks will tell you what the decision on your candidacy is and how they made the decision.
For those that interviewed already, what time did you guys end? I'm trying to make a reservation for a pickup time from super shuttle, but i have no clue when to ask for them to come!

Depends on when you interview. you don't know until they tell you

Members don't see this ad :)

Today, interviews were from 1-4pm. You won't get your schedule (when you interview) until after lunch on the day of your interview. There's no way to know unless maybe someone in admissions tells you earlier if they have even written the schedule out yet. Depending on when your flight is, I'd just schedule Super Shuttle based on your flight and just stick around campus until then.

My interview is at 10PM. The schedule they emailed says it will be from 10AM until 4:30PM. My flight is at 6:30PM. Going to be tricky to figure out what to do!

My interview is at 10PM. The schedule they emailed says it will be from 10AM until 4:30PM. My flight is at 6:30PM. Going to be tricky to figure out what to do!

Honestly, KC airport is one of the easiest and fastest to get through security (<15 min). You won't need to arrive a full two hours before departure especially if you aren't checking a bag. Even if they pick you up at 4:30 at the school, you'll be fine and make your flight.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just FYI I'm an MS-2 and I'm definitely not on the admissions com, I try my bet to stay in tune with how the process works and how it's been.

As jcve34 said, the process is behind a closed door. I only know what the admissions team tells me and that's that your app is reviewed multiple times through the process. After the interview your app is looked at by an entire team and is considered for admission. I do not know how they do it but for sure they look at everything even back to your transcripts for undergrads. The go through your application with a fine tooth comb and make sure you are a good fit. Again, no clue if they give you points or vote or anything of that sort l, that info is kept in strict confidentiality.

Last year it was very close to 6000 applications, I think around 700-800 were interviewed and of that a good cohort of probably around 500-ish was accepted. This isn't something that's "unique" to us but most medical schools will accept about double their class size to ensure that there's enough that'll matriculate since a good number will go elsewhere with multiple acceptances. That number is going to change much this year with the opening of the Joplin campus.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Wait 10 PM?? That's crazy!

Has anyone who interviewed yesterday received the form about choosing campuses?

Just got the campus preference email about 15 minutes ago. Question- if we have a preference, will we not be considered for the other campus? I'd most likely go to either, but I do have a preference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who interviewed yesterday received the form about choosing campuses?
literally just received the email as I was reading your post.. sorcery. :roflcopter:

literally just received the email as I was reading your post.. sorcery. :roflcopter:
+1 anyone know what the positives/negatives of these two campuses are. Also does this mean they're going to be accepting more students this cycle?

+1 anyone know what the positives/negatives of these two campuses are. Also does this mean they're going to be accepting more students this cycle?

There probably aren't negatives but preferences. Joplin is geared heavily to a rural "small town" feel. But they would equally prepare students for residency I'm sure.

I just submitted a couple of days ago and I also got a campus preference questionnaire, so they are not only sending those to people with IIs:)

What are people putting for the reason for their campus selection. It looks there is only space for a few words haha

The Joplin campus is in a much more rural area than KC. That can be seen in a subjective light and so the school is focused on getting people with experiences that will best serve a community like Joplin. One plus is that this Joplin campus will have a very strong hospital (freeman health system) acting as the main teaching affiliate there. From last I heard most of the Joplin students will stay there for rotations.

Yes they are accepting 270 at the KC site and 150 at the Joplin so more acceptances overall.

Reactions: 4 users
Today is also my 4 weeks complete and I also received the site preference email. I said either one because I would be very honored to attend this program in any capacity.

The Joplin campus is in a much more rural area than KC. That can be seen in a subjective light and so the school is focused on getting people with experiences that will best serve a community like Joplin. One plus is that this Joplin campus will have a very strong hospital (freeman health system) acting as the main teaching affiliate there. From last I heard most of the Joplin students will stay there for rotations.

Yes they are accepting 270 at the KC site and 150 at the Joplin so more acceptances overall.

Looking into it a little more it appears that Freeman will actually be a great place to do rotations? At least they have 4 residency programs so you will most get some decent exposure to being in a resident team. No GS program but having IM is probably a plus. This is just my opinion on what I found online, would you say this is an accurate assessment?

Had a great interview day today!! It was really awesome meeting everyone. Everyone at this school is so nice!!! Now we wait 6 weeks...

Reactions: 5 users
Had a great interview day today!! It was really awesome meeting everyone. Everyone at this school is so nice!!! Now we wait 6 weeks...

About how many interviewees were there today?

Just got the campus preference email about 15 minutes ago. Question- if we have a preference, will we not be considered for the other campus? I'd most likely go to either, but I do have a preference.
+1

31 interviewees today. I LOVED THE SCHOOL!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
For those complete on Aug. 17, any news on II's? Today is the 4 week mark and it's getting late in the day.

For those complete on Aug. 17, any news on II's? Today is the 4 week mark and it's getting late in the day.

I was also complete 8/17 but I wouldn't sweat it. I'm guessing their estimate of 4 weeks was off, they have probably received more apps than expected and are still working through them. I would say we could hear back by the end of next week.

But this is all just guess work from my part... I would love to hear something anytime!

Just FYI I'm an MS-2 and I'm definitely not on the admissions com, I try my bet to stay in tune with how the process works and how it's been.

As jcve34 said, the process is behind a closed door. I only know what the admissions team tells me and that's that your app is reviewed multiple times through the process. After the interview your app is looked at by an entire team and is considered for admission. I do not know how they do it but for sure they look at everything even back to your transcripts for undergrads. The go through your application with a fine tooth comb and make sure you are a good fit. Again, no clue if they give you points or vote or anything of that sort l, that info is kept in strict confidentiality.

Last year it was very close to 6000 applications, I think around 700-800 were interviewed and of that a good cohort of probably around 500-ish was accepted. This isn't something that's "unique" to us but most medical schools will accept about double their class size to ensure that there's enough that'll matriculate since a good number will go elsewhere with multiple acceptances. That number is going to change much this year with the opening of the Joplin campus.

Have you heard any word if they will be interviewing a ton more people due to the new campus or just accepting more people that would have been chopped otherwise (ex: 200 rejects out of the 700-800 interviewees that would be rejected in a normal cycle will now be accepted) ? thank you

Have you heard any word if they will be interviewing a ton more people due to the new campus or just accepting more people that would have been chopped otherwise (ex: 200 rejects out of the 700-800 interviewees that would be rejected in a normal cycle will now be accepted) ? thank you

Admissions is definitely interviewing more people :)

Looking into it a little more it appears that Freeman will actually be a great place to do rotations? At least they have 4 residency programs so you will most get some decent exposure to being in a resident team. No GS program but having IM is probably a plus. This is just my opinion on what I found online, would you say this is an accurate assessment?

We have had third years here in KC go there and they said its one of our stronger sites because of the gme and also because the didactic teaching there is particularly strong.

I believe they are planning to apply for more programs but don't count me on that being accurate!

I WANT TO GO HERE SO BAD!!! hopefully, I get accepted; I interviewed here on Tuesday and now I have to wait so long to hear back.

Reactions: 4 users
I WANT TO GO HERE SO BAD!!! hopefully, I get accepted; I interviewed here on Tuesday and now I have to wait so long to hear back.
SAME. I called my parents and immediately starting talking about how much I love the school.

Reactions: 2 users
Loved this school today. Very impressive. I really struggled to answer the "Why not Joplin?" question on the site preference form. I'm really dedicated to rural medicine since I'm from a HPSA county, but I just wanted to play it safe at the Kansas City location since it is established very well compared to being the inaugural class to the Joplin one, despite the Joplin site being focused on rural medicine.

Rejected pre-interview. A huge shame since this was my #1 school. 3.5cgpa/3.5sgpa/511mcat with a ton of research experience, non-trad. Good luck to everyone -- this is a great school!

So I didn't hear from them today and it was the 4 week mark but I filled out that questionnaire. How long should I wait before giving them a call to check up on my application? I was thinking of calling tomorrow or Friday.

So I didn't hear from them today and it was the 4 week mark but I filled out that questionnaire. How long should I wait before giving them a call to check up on my application? I was thinking of calling tomorrow or Friday.

I wouldn't worry about it yet. I am also at four weeks today and no word. I think they just underestimated how many apps they were going to have to get through. I would say wait until the end of next week before we start to worry.

That's just my opinion, and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to call and check if you are concerned about it. If you do decide to call I know there are a couple of us with your same complete date. We would appreciate any input they give you!

Rejected pre-interview. A huge shame since this was my #1 school. 3.5cgpa/3.5sgpa/511mcat with a ton of research experience, non-trad. Good luck to everyone -- this is a great school!

I'm sorry about the news. Would you find sharing when you were complete?

That's crazy. Your stats are great! Especially that mcat! Hopefully you're having luck elsewhere?

Yeah I've had two interview invites and 1 acceptance -- waiting on the other interview. I guess my secondary/personal statement wasn't up to snuff? I was shocked I didn't at least get an interview. I just felt whatever I needed to feel post rejection and have moved on. Nothing else I can do at this point.

Has anyone called to ask if campus selection affects our admissions decisions? I mean, what if everyone chooses the Kansas City campus and no one chooses the Joplin one, wouldn't take make the Kansas city one harder to get into and the Joplin one easier?

Did any current students send post-interview thank you letters/emails to their interviewers? I would like to but I'm not sure if they're receptive to them and whatnot.

Has anyone called to ask if campus selection affects our admissions decisions? I mean, what if everyone chooses the Kansas City campus and no one chooses the Joplin one, wouldn't take make the Kansas city one harder to get into and the Joplin one easier?
I thought about this too, I really can't see them justifying your rejection/acceptance based on the campus you prefer. They probably look at the preferences of the students that are accepted, AFTER the decisions have been made. This is just speculation but considering everything that goes into that final decision I really doubt they would reject you based on your campus pref..

Interviewing 9/23!

Reactions: 2 users