Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone gotten a secondary yet? I just submitted my primary. When I called, they told me that they prescreen applicants.
Nada

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. They said "mid July" for secondary.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what the cutoff is for pre screening?

501/25 MCAT and 3.25 sGPA and cGPA

This is probably a stupid question, but is this a "hard" cutoff? Like if someone excels in another part of their application would they still be considered? A buddy of mine that was accepted here made it out to be like that, but I'm not sure.

This is probably a stupid question, but is this a "hard" cutoff? Like if someone excels in another part of their application would they still be considered? A buddy of mine that was accepted here made it out to be like that, but I'm not sure.

I have heard you can scrape by sometimes with 2 out of 3.

Hard to say. They may not send a secondary to someone who doesn't meet these requirements, or they may let one slide. We'll find out soon enough I guess!

@cjcarter and @YoungDoc25 You should appeal the GPA calculations. If the course number changed but the syllabus and course content is the same, you have good grounds to get your GPA straightened up.

Called them today and turns out THEY made the mistake, not me. They said I didn't 0 out the original course initially, but after talking to a very nice person at AACOMAS he had proof that I did do everything correctly and sent screen shots to their lead verified or whatever. Whoever was verifying me just made a mistake. Now instead of a 3.46 cGPA and 3.39 sGPA I have a 3.52 cGPA and 3.50 sGPA. Huge difference. I'm so relieved!

Reactions: 6 users
For those asking about secondaries, the time frame I was given is next week. Maybe Monday, maybe Friday, maybe somewhere in between!

Reactions: 1 users
I just got a weird email from them, thanking me for applying and that "We hope your journey to becoming an osteopathic physician begins at KCU. "

Well, my journey COULD begin at KCU if you send me the darn secondary!

Reactions: 6 users
I just got a weird email from them, thanking me for applying and that "We hope your journey to becoming an osteopathic physician begins at KCU. "

Just got that same email too haha! I guess it might mean they are beginning to look at our apps

They did that when I applied as well, expect another email that invites you to apply because of your stats (even though you've submitted your secondary at that point and are waiting for an interview).

Members don't see this ad :)
They did that when I applied as well, expect another email that invites you to apply because of your stats (even though you've submitted your secondary at that point and are waiting for an interview).

I got that one too! They sent those pretty early though, like back in early June!

Where else besides Campbell? It hit me at CUSOM and VCOM.

Wow that is ridiculous! You are having bad luck. It looks like Marian is giving me the cold shoulder as well. I'm planning on emailing both tomorrow to see what the deal is.

I'm sorry, but can we confirm what the character limit is on these essays? I read the conversation but I'm still not sure what the conclusion was. 2500 words for all three essays, or per essay? In the middle of pre-writing.. Just applied yesterday and I received the same odd e-mail as well encouraging me to study up on the school.

Edited: looks like last years was 2,500 words each so yeah.

Last edited:
Edited: looks like last years was 2,500 words each so yeah.

Incoming first year, so I had the same confusion last year at this time. The limit is 2500 characters per essay, not words. If you can be concise, all the better. My essays last year ranged from 2100 to 650 characters.

If you have any questions about the process, let me know and I'll see if I can be of any help.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Incoming first year, so I had the same confusion last year at this time. The limit is 2500 characters per essay, not words. If you can be concise, all the better. My essays last year ranged from 2100 to 650 characters.

If you have any questions about the process, let me know and I'll see if I can be of any help.

Oh damn, thanks for the heads up!

I'm so glad you posted this. I'm 800 words deep into the first essay question and 2,500 characters is MUCH better sounding. Thank goodness.

Reactions: 4 users
Finally got the secondary!

Just received the secondary invite. Hope to see you all at the interview.

Secondary!!

How long should the "what are you currently doing?" Answer be? 2500 characters also?

Is anybody having problems moving past the "Background Information" page? When I hit next, I get the rotating triangles for a seeming long time (up to 10 minutes). I've tried starting the application over again, and that doesn't seem to help.

Is anybody having problems moving past the "Background Information" page? When I hit next, I get the rotating triangles for a seeming long time (up to 10 minutes). I've tried starting the application over again, and that doesn't seem to help.

I had the same issue. I restarted in a new window and it works fine now!

I tried to restart and even use a different browser and nothing is working :/

I tried to restart and even use a different browser and nothing is working :/

Are you accessing the link via the email they sent or copying the URL? I reaccessed through the link in the email.

Secondary this morning! Hopefully going to complete it by tonight. :)

Does anyone know if there is a character or word limit for the essays? It seems like its just an open prompt

Could someone post the secondary prompts for other's information?

From what I've seen there is no indicated character/word limit for these. There are also some questions which require written responses like "Are there any gaps in your education, if so explain."

Please describe the environment in which you will be a successful osteopathic medical student. You may wish to include: preferred learning style, the leadership style you best respond to or any other information you deem pertinent.

Describe a time when you had to prioritize multiple obligations in order to be successful.

Describe a time when you experienced failure. What did you learn about yourself from this experience?

Does anyone know if there is a character or word limit for the essays? It seems like its just an open prompt

It says try to limit yourself to 2500 characters or 500 words but there isn't an actual limit that will cut you off if you go over. You should see a word count for each text box.

Would you list healthcare research poster under "Published" question on the secondary?

For Canadians applying, do you know if you can use a Canadian line of credit to help satisfy the 270,000 USD proof of funds? I don't have 270,000 in cash just sitting in an account.

Anybody know how much the secondary app fee is?

Secondary app not working for me. Won't save or go to next page. What's going on?